CT emissions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Events & Regional > Northeast

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

CT emissions

anyone familiar with the CT emissions laws? I'm looking to buy a Fox but was curious as to what I need to be weary about where I am new to the state.

Thanks
88 LX 5.0 Notch w/Bolt-ons, 89 GTw/Bolt-ons, 91 LX Notch w/Procharged 306, 91 LX Notch w/Procharged 347, 93 LX Notch S-trim, 95 GT Bolt-ons, 99 35th Anny GT w/Vortech blow through set up @ 413rwhp, 03 Cobra 464/455
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (8)

There is nothing saying you have to pass once you buy a car... just get your car.. and you have 30 days to test it.. Pass or Fail you get your registration.. THERE IS NOTHING STATING YOU WILL GET FINED IF YOU DO NOT GO BACK.. More that likely the car you buy will have off road x or H-pipe so instead of paying 4-5 hundred more for a catted pipe, just let it ride.

You will just be in the same boat I am 2 years later when the registration runs out, REQUIRED to get it compliant.

I have a solid roller, 357W carbed, so Im still not planning on passing emissions, Im just gonna swap the title around and fail again.

If you get pulled over in the meantime there is nothing stating you did not pass emissions. However your screwed if the cop is a hardass and checks for cats (<-- have been pulled over more times than my age and never had that happen).
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #3

well I def prefer the sound of an off road pipe so I plan on running it weather the car i get has it or not. I may just register in Mass (my family is there) I'm hearing they are doing away with smog for vehicles older than 1996! Thanks for the tip. By the way does CT have winshield inspection stickers like Mass?
88 LX 5.0 Notch w/Bolt-ons, 89 GTw/Bolt-ons, 91 LX Notch w/Procharged 306, 91 LX Notch w/Procharged 347, 93 LX Notch S-trim, 95 GT Bolt-ons, 99 35th Anny GT w/Vortech blow through set up @ 413rwhp, 03 Cobra 464/455
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #4

Ct no longer has emission inspection stickers that are placed on the front windshield. They incorporated the registration sticker with emissions. That's why you can register the car but if you fail you have till your next registration renewal to make it emission compliant or they will not renew your registration.

If you have a vehicle registered in Connecticut that is more than four and less than 25 years old, you are required to submit it for a state emissions inspection every other year.

If You Don't Get Inspected
If you don't submit your eligible motor vehicle for inspection, you will first be fined a $20 late fee by the DMV. If you still do not submit the vehicle for inspection, the DMV will refuse to process a registration renewal until it has been notified the vehicle has passed inspection. If you don't pay the $20 late fee, the DMV will refuse to allow you to register any vehicle until the fine is paid.

Take a look here, this will give you all the info you need: APPARENTLY I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO POST URLS
dmv.org/ct-connecticut/smog-check.php[/url]
Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

I will be bringing my new 88 GT within the next month - I will keep you posted on what I find out.

88 GT - Resto project - Performance White - My new driver.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

To register you car your emissions just needs to be current like stated above. Even if you fail you can get it registered. The problem is in 2 years when you are up for renewal they will not renew you until your emissions is compliant. That means you must pass.

New Car:??
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcop1 View Post
anyone familiar with the CT emissions laws? I'm looking to buy a Fox but was curious as to what I need to be weary about where I am new to the state.

Thanks

my car passed , w/o cats
Old 06-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #8

As of August, CT emissions is changing how they inspect the cars. If your going to get it to go through I wouldn't wait till then.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (4)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto7950 View Post
As of August, CT emissions is changing how they inspect the cars. If your going to get it to go through I wouldn't wait till then.
Can you explain further ???

88 GT - Resto project - Performance White - My new driver.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #10

I don't remember all the changes completly but you can ask any tech that does CT emissions. There are a list of places that perform emission testing. A phone call or a drive down to one, you have an opportunity to get the details.

One difference is that currently on newer cars they don't even do a sniff test. They are looking for check engine lights maybe cats. If you have a check engine light on you will fail. One way to get around that currently is to clear the code which normally keeps it off for just long enough to get the emission test done. No light you pass. The new test in August will actually connect to your computer and will tell them if a code is trying to push through. So even if you cleared the code without fixing the problem, the check engine light is off, they will catch it and you will fail.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (15)

So 2 years ago I failed, and got the car registered. Now it will def. not pass. and I am REQUIRED to pass to get the car reregistered.

My car is under my dad's name... if he were to transfer the car to me could I then go through emissions fail and have it be okay for 2 years again?
306,9,5:1,AFR 185s,RPMII,xe264hr,ProMagnum rockers,turbonetics 66S,bg kit,METH,Flowmaster catback,Accufab race 75mm,pro tube,60lb injectors,255lph walbro BAP,ac delete,no smog,full MSD ignition,mark fan,3G alt,TKO600,spec stage 3,alum flywheel,3.55s
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #12

anyone
306,9,5:1,AFR 185s,RPMII,xe264hr,ProMagnum rockers,turbonetics 66S,bg kit,METH,Flowmaster catback,Accufab race 75mm,pro tube,60lb injectors,255lph walbro BAP,ac delete,no smog,full MSD ignition,mark fan,3G alt,TKO600,spec stage 3,alum flywheel,3.55s
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #13

I believe the way it works now is you have to pass before they will provide you the registration. I've been hearing that you get a temp. to get through emissions and then are issued the final reg.

I've got to take a look because I bought a mustang a year ago and need to put the catted H-pipe on that I don't have time to do. If I were able just to fail for not having cats and drive it for 2 years, thats the way I would go.

***** I did confirm with the state of ct. The emissions follows the car not the owner. So in my situation, the emissions has not been done for over 2 years because it has been sitting in a garage between the previous owner and myself, so I would need to trailer the car or get temps to get the emissions test done. If it passes then the emissions is only good for one year because it was not up to date and I would receive my perm. reg. If it fails, you will not be provided a perm. reg. till it passes. Hope that helps. 25 years and older don't need to be tested. 1985 and older.

http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-used.html

The above link has a phone # for CT emission questions.

Last edited by beto7950; 03-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #14

Quote:
I believe the way it works now is you have to pass before they will provide you the registration. I've been hearing that you get a temp. to get through emissions and then are issued the final reg.

I've got to take a look because I bought a mustang a year ago and need to put the catted H-pipe on that I don't have time to do. If I were able just to fail for not having cats and drive it for 2 years, thats the way I would go.

***** I did confirm with the state of ct. The emissions follows the car not the owner. So in my situation, the emissions has not been done for over 2 years because it has been sitting in a garage between the previous owner and myself, so I would need to trailer the car or get temps to get the emissions test done. If it passes then the emissions is only good for one year because it was not up to date and I would receive my perm. reg. If it fails, you will not be provided a perm. reg. till it passes. Hope that helps. 25 years and older don't need to be tested. 1985 and older.

http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-used.html

The above link has a phone # for CT emission questions.
Damnit... im in the same boat. and yeah on temperorary plates right now but I used it to get AAA to tow the car to get tuned... so I guess i need to renew my temporary registration to even take emissions?

Why is the emissions only good for one year? That is retarded... this is ridiculous to be honest.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #15

Say thank you to Jodi Rell and the state of CT. It's another way for them to make more money on the average resident to recop money they feel they're losing. I was told that I may even have to pay a late fee but I can fight it afterwards if I can prove I didn't own the car when the emissions expired. Pay us now and maybe we'll refund the money you weren't suppose to pay anyway. Got to love it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331-stang View Post
my car passed , w/o cats
That's because our former MEGA CORRUPT Governor F****ED UP one of the BEST smog testing programs in the WORLD to get bribes.

Now, private garages can do smog tests. The problems with this type of system are WELL known.

BY LAW, the smog inspection MUST check for cats. Yea, Billy Joe and his inbreed brother can pass ANY pre-OBDII car by running another car through the sniffer.

So, just because Billy Joe and his inbreed brother pass a car that does NOT meet the Conn smog laws, that does NOT mean that the car is legal, or other similar cars would pass.

Quote:
I don't remember all the changes completely but you can ask any tech that does CT emissions. There are a list of places that perform emission testing. A phone call or a drive down to one, you have an opportunity to get the details.

One difference is that currently on newer cars they don't even do a sniff test. They are looking for check engine lights maybe cats. If you have a check engine light on you will fail. One way to get around that currently is to clear the code which normally keeps it off for just long enough to get the emission test done. No light you pass. The new test in August will actually connect to your computer and will tell them if a code is trying to push through. So even if you cleared the code without fixing the problem, the check engine light is off, they will catch it and you will fail.
I'm not sure what the new laws will require. But, your info on the current testing is way off!
Again, I am NOT talking about how Billy Joe and his inbreed brother do testing. I'm talking about the current Conn smog law.

All OBD-II vehicles get tested by visual inspection for Cats, and get hooked up to a diag tester that VERIFIES that the car has gone through the REQUIRED number of MILES and turn on/off cycles since the ECM was reset.

That's pretty much the way the Federal guidelines for smog testing specify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyboy107 View Post
Why is the emissions only good for one year? That is retarded... this is ridiculous to be honest.
Conn smog testing is good for TWO years as long as you get tested on your test date. It's been like that for the past ?7 years?. *Initially*, it was every year.

How often do I need to have my vehicle tested?
Your vehicle will need to be tested every other year on its test cycle due date. If you have recently moved, be sure that you change your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles so that your test notification will be sent to the correct address.

BTW: From: http://ctemissions.com/exempt.html
A motor vehicle twenty five-years old or older, (R.C.S.A 14-164c-2a "twenty-five or more years ago" shall mean the number of years arrived at by subtracting the model year of the motor vehicle seeking the exemption from the current calendar year).

So, my '86 Stang is just about there!

BTW#2: In Mass, only OBD-II cars (96+) cars get tested for smog. Again, another CORRUPT Government decision. It saves on the needed dedicated space for a Dyno for the pre OBDII cars. But, the data from smog testing clearly shows that older cars that fail smog are responsible for a good percentage of the pollution from cars.

The Conn smog law was passed when 25+ year life for a possible "daily driver" car was unheard of. Also, when the law was passed, the number of miles driven by 25+ year old cars was *extremely* small.

So.... Do NOT be surprised if in the future, Conn changes that "25+" year old rule.
Also, in the future, Conn may go also adopt the Federal guide line that suggests visually checking the NUMBER of cats.

Wasn't one of of the Corral's members also a certified Conn smog inspector? If he's still on, maybe he can chime in on any possible updated requirements.

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 03-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #17

Real Info on Conn Smog testing Procedures:
http://www.ctemissions.com/testing-procedures.html

http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-catalytic.html
Check For a Catalytic Converter
Vehicles will also be visually inspected for the presence of the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter provides a post-combustion control of vehicle emissions. Post-combustion emission control devices clean up the exhaust after the fuel has been burned but before the gases exit the tailpipe. It must be fully intact for your vehicle to be considered for an emissions test.
Removal of or tampering with a catalytic converter is a federal offense. If your vehicle is missing a catalytic converter, it will fail the emissions test.

http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-newer.html
Tests for Vehicles 1996 and Newer
Newer vehicles are tested using technology that uses the vehicle's OBD (on-board diagnostics) computer system to diagnose operations of emissions control systems. The new test will help ensure that today's newer, low emissions vehicles with their advanced computerized emissions controls continue to run clean and efficiently.

The OBD test is quick and easy. The inspector connects your on-board computer, which continuously monitors the engine and emissions controls, to the inspection computer and downloads the data. The results are printed on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) that you receive at the end of the test.

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 03-20-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #18

BTW: Some good info:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1619

Also, assuming the corrupt ***holes in Government don't take new bribes, from the report, it seems like it'll be until ~2020 before Conn goes to an OBD-II only type of testing:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/air/ve...009_report.pdf
In addition, in 2010, ASM-PCTSI emission tests
on pre-1996 models are estimated to account for 25% of the UM program benefits.
However, this table shows that an OBD only program will not achieve the level of emissions reductions achieved by the present program until the year 2020.

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 03-20-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto7950
I don't remember all the changes completely but you can ask any tech that does CT emissions. There are a list of places that perform emission testing. A phone call or a drive down to one, you have an opportunity to get the details.

I'm not sure what the new laws will require. But, your info on the current testing is way off!
Again, I am NOT talking about how Billy Joe and his inbreed brother do testing. I'm talking about the current Conn smog law.

*****StangPlus2Birds you quoted a post that I placed on 6/2008. If your looking for current emission laws take a look at my last post ref. the website which also has a phone number that you can call: http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-used.html

And yes, if you purchase a vehicle that the emissions test expired like in my situation, the emissions has been expired for over 2 years, they will only issue me a 1 year emissions pass. That's right from the state of CT. There after each test will be valid for 2 years. Call them yourself.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #20

... take my $20 and leave me alone for 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement