89 Mustang LX Convertible -- 39k original miles

For Sale 
1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  1985351 
#1 ·
1989 Ford Mustang LX convertible
5.0L, Automatic with OD (AOD), 2.73 rear axle ratio
39k original miles
Oxford White, White Top, Grey interior

All original body panels with VIN stickers in-tact.

Currently has chrome pony wheels on it with less than 1000 miles on the tires and wheels. Have the original 10-hole wheels (mint) on a fairly new set of OEM Goodyear Gatorback tires.

I’m the second owner; the car is stored in heated garage year round. The original owner always stored the car in a garage year round as well. Car has never been through a New England winter and only seen a rain a few times. This car spent most of its life in the garage not being used. The original owner told me at one point the car was not used for almost 10 years, it was started routinely and driven around the block to keep things lubricated and moving. I have a list of (minor) things that I did to the car upon purchasing it to make it completely road worthy. I will discuss or email that list to anyone interested. Every single original part removed or changed on the car was kept and boxed up………everything!

No engine modifications, all stock with the exception of an off-road H-Pipe. I had one lying around from another project and decided to put it on since my state is emissions exempt for cars this old. I also wanted it to sound a little nicer and wanted to keep the original factory catted H-Pipe in prime condition. The car retains the original factory mufflers and all of the factory installed emissions equipment. The original owner also had the dealer install a Ford Motorsport strut tower brace when he bought the car new.

Car is in excellent condition. No rust, no rot, no stress cracks, no floor cracks, not torque box cracks, no leaks, strut towers are perfect, undercarriage looks like a low mile car should. Since it never sat in the sun, all the moldings are in excellent original condition and we all know how torn up they can get from sun exposure. The headlights and tail lights literally look brand new and are original to the car. Everything on the car works as it came from the factory with the exception of the A/C system blowing warm which I explain below.

Car came from the factory with grey cloth GT sport seats. My wife wanted leather seats, so I had a spare set of front and rear seats redone and installed them in the car. As you can see in the photos, the seats match perfectly. The original grey cloth GT seats are in pristine condition and stored in my basement under a cover. The rest of the interior is in excellent condition. There’s no fading or cracks on any of the plastics, panels and dash board, carpet is perfect with no fading.

In the spirit of total disclosure, here’s what the car needs and what I think a potential new owner should know about it:

The only thing the car needs is for the A/C to be looked at. The A/C started blowing warm this past summer. The car still retained its original charge of R12 from the factory and it worked fine until this season. Took the car out in the spring, A/C started blowing luke warm. Had some cans of R12 on the shelf so I put one can into the system. A/C blew cold again for most of the summer and then started blowing warm again by summers end. Obviously, it has a leak somewhere. I noticed the Schrader valve didn’t seal shut very quickly after being depressed. I heard gas leaking past the valve for several seconds after disconnecting the can, so I’m thinking maybe the leak is at the Schrader valve. I recently replaced both the high and low side Schrader valves with brand new ones. I also bought an O-ring kit, but haven’t attempted to install any yet. I have (2) cans of R12 that will go with the car should it sell.

The car retains 90% of its original paint from what I can tell, to include the factory painted pinstripe. I know for sure the front bumper cover has had some paint work (can see tape lines around black molding). Front bumper cover is original to the car by the VIN stickers, so not sure why it was re-painted or blended? I don’t know for sure if the whole cover was sprayed or not. I looked behind it, can’t find any repairs or old damage, so thinking it may have been scraped or something? Original owner swears he didn’t do it, could have been lot damage and fixed at the dealer?

Original owner admitted he had the driver’s side lower portion from the belt moldings down painted. I brought it up since it didn’t have any chips behind the wheels and he admitted he had that lower portion painted. He apparently ran over a piece of metal strapping which kicked up and scraped the bottom of the driver’s door and rocker panel. He had the Ford dealer body shop sand it down and paint it. I can’t find any damage or bondo sink, he said it was just a scrape and it appears that was the case. Every other panel on the car appears to have original paint. To be honest, if I keep the car, I will probably have the passenger side done from the belt molding down since the car does have some normal chips behind the wheels that are associated with a car with these miles.

The original owner had an aftermarket stereo and alarm system installed right after he purchased the car. It has a super nice alpine stereo system and it also had an alpine alarm system that I removed. These were in the car when I purchased it. The original owner was big into music and paid over $3500 for the stereo and alarm system to be installed by an electronics shop. It’s a very nice install, no holes were cut or drilled, all the wiring runs under the seats, factory harness in not cut, etc. The upgraded door and dash speakers fit into the factory speaker holes. The rear speakers were never touched, there is a custom built box in the trunk. The box fits under the rear deck area so about half the truck in still available for use. Again, I only bring this up as it may be a turn off for some folks, but it was already in the car when I purchased it. It is a very nice sounding stereo system if you are into that. I definitely have the original factory radio and I think I have the original speakers.

To recap;
This is a low mileage, mostly original car, has (2) interiors and (2) sets of wheels. Car has never been abused and always adult owned. These cars are getting harder to find this nice and unmolested. I’m extremely picky and have owned over 16 of these cars in the past 32 years. This car doesn’t disappoint and gets compliments everywhere it goes.

$12000

Attachments

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.