'87 hatch LS father/son build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
'87 hatch LS father/son build

Hi,
My step-son and I are starting the zillion-and-one-th LS fox.
I have an '01 4.8L, and a '98 or '99 4L80E.
The 'stang is a hatch, but it's complete, not crashed, not nasty, and it was $500 running.
A few years ago I dropped an LM7 into my '89 hatch, but I never finished it.
Anyway, this is a 300-horse daily driver build, because the 2.3 in it runs so bad that it tops out at 64 MPH, at which point the whole car is shaking. Took me 3 hours to drive it home at 60 MPH.
This build may someday see a power adder, a 3200-stall, a pair of 275/60R15 drag radials, et cetera, but for the next year, it won't.
First is pics, then getting the 2.3/T5 out, then more pics. After it moves under it's own V8 power, next is springs / shocks / big brakes / 5-lug / wide tires, as in 315/35R17x10.5s rear and 17x9s front with maybe 275/40s.
I'm planning to try '95 Crown Vic 11.7" front rotors on the rear, they should fit inside 15" drag wheels, I prefer '84 T/A WS6 rear calipers over the Explorer rear disc setup. Discs with tiny internal drum parking brakes have proven inferior.
Up front, I hope to fab mounts to bolt the 4.8 to the 2.3 K-member, but if that fails, a '96-up K with '95 Cobra R spindles and brakes will match with '96 4.6 mounts, but I'm not buying any adapter plates to attach the 4.6 mounts to the 4.8 block. I have another idea, but if it fails, then I'll fab my own adapter plates.
I have an LS4 intake manifold, and a shaved truck intake manifold. I have a pair of '98 Z28 exhaust manifolds. And I fabbed my own mild steel oilpan. I'll be trying to use all of these.
I have an idea for deleting the trans crossmember, too.
Next year I'll be swapping in an E-Rod LS3, which may eventually get a Turbonetics T76 kit. 614 HP if so.
Pics ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (82)
Garage
Always glad to see another Fox LS swap, especially a father/son project. Post some pics when you get a chance.

One day the same people that doubt your dream will tell people how they met you!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, been trying. The pics my phone takes are too big to post in here. But who doesn't know what a dark red '87 LX hatch looks like?
I did check the door sticker, the axle code is F, so 3.45:1 non-Traction-Lok.
For a "stock" 4.8L with a 4L80E running a torque converter from a 454, which is what my 4L80E came from, the 3.45s wouldn't be bad around town.
But trying a few combos on spreadsheets, compared against past experience, I'm wanting to trade the 4L80E for a 4L60E and swap the 3.45:1 for 3.08:1.
Next spring I'll be upgrading it to a new 4L75E anyway, but right now the closest thing I have is an '86 700R-4. I may try it. Takes the same flexplate as the 4L80E, and I have no flywheel or flexplate right now.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 AM
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiswaps View Post
Thanks, been trying. The pics my phone takes are too big to post in here.
Easiest just to host them somewhere like Photobucket.com

One day the same people that doubt your dream will tell people how they met you!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Curious why the T/A rear calipers with CV rotors instead of using the 11.65 cobra rear brakes?

2000 GT
4R70W, J-Mod, spoiler moved back 2 3/4", smoked headlights, CDC sequential taillights, Steeda sport springs, C/C plates, alum. lca's, Bullitt front brakes, Russell stainless lines, KB Super Subs, MAC pro-chamber & cat-back, BBK CAI, Accufab 75MM TB/plenum, FMS 4.10's
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed View Post
Curious why the T/A rear calipers with CV rotors instead of using the 11.65 cobra rear brakes?
I was wondering the same thing

post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

The Ford rear discs all use microscopic drum brakes inside the discs for your Emergency / Parking brake, and I've had enough experience, after 25 years of hot rodding, to know that it is a mistake. The alternative is to integrate the cable brakes into the caliper instead. For this I'm aware of 2 choices that are cheap and easy to adapt and reliable. The '76 Cadillac Eldorado, those are for rotors that are 1.25" thick, which is overkill for the rear of a daily-driver Mustang, or the '82-'87 WS6 Camaro / Firebird, which uses 1"-thick rotors.
For drag racing a Fox-chassis, the hot setup seems to be a 275/60R15 if you want to run a quarter mile in less time than 10.00 seconds. Ok, to fit disc brakes inside most 15" wheels with WS6 calipers requires a rotor no larger than 12.00"
I went through some rotor catalogs until I found some with the 1" thickness, a diameter under 12", and the Ford 5-lug pattern. Then I picked the cheapest one with a hat height similar to WS6 rotors.
The thing is, I already did all this less than 2 years ago when I was building an '83 RX-7, which I still have, and it works so well that I'm copying it here. It's very easy, very low-cost, and when I was adjusting the front / rear proportioning, I was able to lock the rears at 60 MPH. Oops, only did that once. Anyway, they work very well.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Corral Elite Member

Garage
SN95 rear brakes don't use the drum style e-brake

post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (128)
This^^^^^ 94-04 Mustangs do not use an internal drum for the emergency brake. They are also basically a bolt on option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement