Ford Mustang Forums banner

363 + Twin Turbo = The Divorce Build

14K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  96steeda 
#1 · (Edited)
I probably won't get too many more chances to build my ultimate dream car. Money doesn't grow on trees in my household so I need to get it right this first time. Over the last few months I have been hashing out ideas on what path this will take. After many internal struggles, phone calls, and emails my build is starting to take shape.

My goals are simple:

1. Drive it
2. Never sell it
3. Take it to the track for the love of God!

Next up:

Find a Foxbody
Get an auto that can handle the load

9/12/2013 Update - Parts List Received
Super Victor EFI
Fuel Rails
Wilson Manifolds 90MM Elbow
Wilson Manifolds 90MM Throttle Body
Holley low impedance 120lb injectors
TEA Twisted Wedge 205 CNC Cylinder Heads 64c
Comp Cams Machined Steel Retainers
PAC 1.300" Dual Valve Springs
Stefs Machined Steel Spring cups
Crower locks
Viton Valve Seals
Fordstrokers 363 DIY Kit
Dart SHP Block 8.2
Callies Compstar 4340 Forged Steel Crank
Scat 4340 Forged Steel H Beams With ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
Wiseco 2618 Pistons
Custom Turbo Cam by FordStrokers

12/20/2013 Update - Parts List Received
B&G ELIMINATOR Twin Turbo Kit

See less See more
#3 ·
This is the before :lol: I need to do my best to keep the spending to a minimum but I promised myself I wouldn't cut too many corners. My prior builds all ended the same way...could of done it better. This time needs to be different with no regrets. I plan on keeping this car until I die or lose it in the divorce.

#5 ·
Thanks Mark but the combo listed above is already being worked on. I'm in a holding pattern until delivery. My only focus is finding a solid LX coupe roller.

#6 ·
Just Ordered:

Super Victor EFI
Fuel Rails
Wilson Manifolds 90mm Elbow
Wilson Manifolds 90mm Throttle Body
Holley low impedance 120lb injectors

I'm going to drop the intake off at Wilson since they are local to fix any potential distribution issues.

Piecing together a Holley Dominator EFI system next.

#8 ·
Sounds like it will be awesome! What et and HP goals? How much u wanna drive it? Call lentech or Freddy brown for a aod. Why Holley dominator instead of reg Holley?

BTW.....
:worthless

#9 ·
Thanks Lmn8 and ssomustang50 I sure hope it turns out the way I am expecting. I'm having a ton of fun ordering parts at this point with not much to show except paper.

How much do I want to drive it? :) I want to drive this everywhere! Not daily but it will see many miles. I am choosing to have a really tame cam design for heavy street use so if I sacrifice some HP I won't cry much. As for the HP goals I haven't really thought through it. I really just wanted to grow into this car and not put too many restrictions in my way. I would love to crack a 9.99 and be able to drive it home with HP in the 800-900 range.

I'm still on the fence about the tranny. If I go with lentech or FB its going to be a 4R70W but I still haven't ruled out a TH400. I'm pretty sure I could skate by without OD because I'm going to run with a 3.08 or 3.27 gear. I'll decide over the next week.

I went with the dominator because I didn't want to lose all those inputs/outputs, 4 position key switch, or the dual wideband features. I'm a data logging nut so I plan to use way more than the Holley HP allows.

Pics will be incoming :)

#11 ·
The parts are starting to roll in and the fuel system has been ordered. I ended up going with the new Holley Dominator Billet twin pump Part #12-1800 along with the matching Holley pre (#162-572) and post (#162-570) filters. An Aeromotive Y (#15675) will split the -10 feed line to each side of the -8 rails then out of each rail into the Aeromotive A1000 regulator finally returning back to the tank.

Here is a shot of the intake that arrived yesterday:

#12 ·
I decided to return my MSD flying magnet crank trigger and purchase an Innovators West Damper that has an integrated trigger wheel. That should be here in a few days along with a Cam Sync and Sensor for use with the Dominator EFI. I'm almost ready for the next round of orders. This time I'll get my hands on the Dominator ECU, supporting wiring harnesses and sensors.

Box o' Parts:

#13 ·
Orders are still arriving almost daily and the wife is not happy answering the door with the dogs trying to attack the drivers. I'm about a month away from seeing the freight truck arrive with my pallet of engine parts. Progress!

#14 ·
Any updates? I am curious about the Holley stuff. What distributor/sensor/plug is that? Where did you get it.

#15 · (Edited)
There is not much to update at this time. I'm waiting for the motor to arrive which should be ready mid-June and I need to ship my elbow/throttle body to B&G for their mock-up turbo build.

I'm hoping I got the correct distributor parts, only time will tell. They are Motorcraft originals from RockAuto.com out of Rangers/Explorers/Mountaineers from the late 90s. From what I read it should work well with the Holley and crank trigger setup. I am using the Holley brand magnet sensor which was a requirement.

#17 ·
Thanks. Wasn't sure if that pickup had been modified at all. I know a few Explorer sensors running around. I used the TALL and sensitive AEM EPM. Right now I am looking to make a change and go to either Holley's Dominator or MS3-Pro.

#20 ·
Just a quick update...

The motor should be on a truck tomorrow heading my way.:joy:

I also talked to Brian at BG and got word two weeks ago that my turn in line was finally up. Should take him a few more weeks but I'm in no rush for that just yet.

Looks like this weekend will be spent cleaning the garage and organizing my tools.

#23 ·
Makes me want to throw it against the wall to see if it sticks. Slime!

I'm thinking of painting the car the same color. That way I can find it at night.

#24 ·
The engine has arrived! The guys and gals at Fordstokers really packaged this well. I wasn't expecting anything less than perfection from Woody and Nicole. They didn't let me down as everything arrived safe and unharmed. Great shipping experience too using Roadrunner Transportation Services.

#26 ·
Why not have had Woody put the long block together?

Did you ever get all the Holley EFI pieces?

#27 · (Edited)
Did you ever get all the Holley EFI pieces?
I have all the Holley parts minus the ECU. I'll order that up once I get closer to completion. I don't like to let hardware sit on the shelf cause they may come out with a revision or something better so I held off just in case.

Why not have had Woody put the long block together?
I thought long and hard on that subject while I was going over the build ideas. This wouldn't be my first dance as I have done a few assemblies over the years.

My first car was an AOD 93 fox body that would get its ass handed to it daily. I parked it and with the help of my uncle crossed over to the dark side. With his old school teachings I rebuilt a 350 sb in my 70 Chevelle more than 18 years ago. It lasted many race seasons and countless nitrous passes. That was my first and last Chevy although I transitioned to my next Ford with a hair-brained scheme.

I had the dumb idea of taking my mom's 4.6L 1996 serialized Steeda and turning it into a race car. So out came the 4.6L and replaced it with a 496 cubic inch bbc with 14:1 compression, Wilson ported rectangular port heads and intake, and a 2 stage big shot plate system. That car taught me some good lessons with a plasma cutter and welder as I shoehorned that big block between the strut towers. It took another year to get it back from the chassis shop for the custom made headers, 10 point cage and ladder bar suspension work. I lost interest during that period.

By the time it was done some guy from North Florida bought it before I could even make it down the track. I did however take it to Steeda when they were still in Pompano Beach to tune it on their chassis dyno. It put out over 650rwhp on motor and they wouldn't let me use the nitrous system. That was a pretty big deal back then and I was very excited to be told that my tuning day was being cut short. I still remember the look on Dario Orlando's face when I popped the hood and his clean Steeda was turned into a hybrid.

...Lots of cars and motor stories (cut short cause you are probably falling asleep)

After my last 347 budget build I decided to take a break from wrenching. Over the years I have racked up a few motors assemblies on LS1s and 5.0Ls. I am not a professional builder nor a machinist but I can assemble a motor and luckily I have all the tools to get it done.

This is my first real motor though (no corners cut) and I'm going to validate everything that was done to it. Most likely questioning and second-guessing my skills along the way. I'm pretty confident everything will be fine and I don't plan on pushing this motor hard. Woody said it can handle anything I throw at it up to about 1200ish. If I see anything around 700-800 I'll be more than happy for a long long time.

^^ Now that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Had Woody not quoted me an additional 3 months to assemble you wouldn't be reading my Bio! :D

#28 ·
#30 ·
I finally started the assembly process today. Mic'd the rod and main journals and checked bearing clearances. Thrust is set and now its time to move on to the rod assembly.

#33 ·
Me? I hope that day never comes. My 363 is not for sale at the moment. I have a baby on the way but that still hasn't changed anything...Yet ;)

#35 ·
Thank you!

I have to grow into this setup considering I have never been over 130mph in the 1/4. 135-140ish should put me in the upper 9's which shouldn't take much effort. I'm going to be crapping my pants for years to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.