how much does insurance go up after a speeding ticket?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (14)

how much does insurance go up after a speeding ticket??

basically I was just going with the flow of the morning hour rush and I got popped doing 75 in a 65 freeway......

This is my 1st ticket it 7 years I'm just wondering how much my rates will go up??

also I was in my 92 fox which has 17" wheels on it.... any think I might be able to fight the ticket due to my speedo being off??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Depends on your insurance company. Your speedo being off is your problem and will do nothing for your defense.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #3

Might have nothing to worry about if your insurance co doesn`t find out.
I`m in Toronto and stuff like that stays on your record for 3 years,unless you beat the charge.

My insurance co never found out about the last speeding ticket I got some years back and now my record is clear.

Worth a shot trying to fight it though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

Funny thing is my insurance is still set to my parents address in Michigan.. and the points will go on my CA license.... so now you got me wondering if my insurance co will find out....
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #5

Almost all states share violation information. The question is if your insurance company pulls records on a regular basis or not, and when the infraction hits your record. The next question is if they get worked up over one ticket or not.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #6

Actually, moving violations are not automatically shared across country. Bordering states usually show violations, but not always either.

If your insurance goes up due to a non-accident violation, drop them, and go somewhere else. Moving violations are not a financial burden to the extortion, err, insurance companies.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (19)

A ticket's worth about a 10% to 20% increase depending on your age. If you're young, bank on the 20%.
2005 Mustang GT, Torch Red, 5R55S, Vortech V2, w/3.48 pulley, A2A, Power Pipe, CMDP's, A/C Delete, 3.73's, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Pypes M80's & Flowmasters, '07+ Coolant Conversion, FRPP K-Springs, Swaybar Delete, Manual Rack, Saleen Lowers, BBR Brackets, NT05's, Battery Rel., Brooks Speed Tuned.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #8

My first and only ticket did nothing for my insurance rate. I suspect that since this is your first in 7 years, which should be the only one on your record, your insurance rate will do nothing.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (15)

Well, not to scare you or anything, my driving record got all screwed up by some state trooper who wrote my info "by accident" on someone elses ticket(put the guys name/address my dl number and plate number) but before i got it fixed, my insurence went from like 1700 a year to almost 3000 per year for liability.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (1)

If you've been with the same insurance company for years and they raise your rates over one ticket, it's time to shop for a new insurance company.

We're not fast racers. In fact folks call us half fast racers. At least I think that's what they're saying.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

trust me, i did, i pay like 600 yr for liability.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (4)

Doesn't MI offer anything to avoid points on your license (if you even have a point system).

In FL, you can either take the driver's course if you're eligible, which avoids points and an insurance hike.

Or, you go in and plead no contest, which avoids points and an insurance hike IF the judge witholds judgment.

Look into if MI has anything similar.

Honk if Parts Fall Off

JasonWeg@comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonweg/index.htm
Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
djc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNotch n MI View Post
basically I was just going with the flow of the morning hour rush and I got popped doing 75 in a 65 freeway......

This is my 1st ticket it 7 years I'm just wondering how much my rates will go up??

also I was in my 92 fox which has 17" wheels on it.... any think I might be able to fight the ticket due to my speedo being off??
no.

go to traffic school. i did mine online in 3 hours. you can attend once every 18 mo. in cali.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (7)

The simple answer is that no one on here can tell you what's going to happen. Each situation is unique -- type of ticket, your history, your insurance company, state/country regulations, etc. If your speedo is actually off -- and you get it fixed and take the repair receipts to court, my experience has been the odds are good they will throw it out. Also - first ticket in 7 years, you can usually go to the right location, agree to go to defensive driving school, and they'll take it off your record.

How much will it cost? How long is a piece of rope? It depends....
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Thats pretty weak, I got a ticket for going 80 in a 65 on the 101 going up to Nor Cal. I need to get a radar detector... FWIW, I don't know anyone that drive 65 on the freeway...in fact I think if you went 65 in LA you'd probably piss someone off and get shot.

If I were you I'd try to fight the ticket and say you were going with the flow of traffic.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
Banned

Work a deal with the courts, with out pleading guilty.

Dont tell your insurance.

See if you can take a driving course to expunge the ticket or lower your insurance rate or both.
BLK-Merc-MM is banned  
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
80 in a 65

Thats it? the one and only speeding ticket, as mentioned before, was 90 in a 55!! i was young and dumb i know.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (6)

Just what does having 17" rims have to do with your speedometer being off anyway? 1" bigger rim diameter doesnt also mean 1" bigger tire diameter.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Funny thing is my insurance is still set to my parents address in Michigan.. and the points will go on my CA license.... so now you got me wondering if my insurance co will find out....
Michigan is one of the few states that doesn't share info. So your insurance will never know if you hold onto that for a few more years. I looked into this about two months ago when I got a ticket in MI.
#7 of the special Member club
1968 GT500KR
1990 Mustang GT All the usual goodies, would have a supercharger if my wife didn't have a wedding ring.
2006 Torch Red GT. KB 2.6L, and MSD COP's
Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #20

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads93GT View Post
Just what does having 17" rims have to do with your speedometer being off anyway? 1" bigger rim diameter doesnt also mean 1" bigger tire diameter.
x2. Overall outside tire diameter is what counts, not wheel diameter.

That said, many states offer a court supervision (probation) condition for first time offenders. It means you pay a fine, but it doesn't go on your record for insurance purposes.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #21

i got 3 tickets in 17 years of driving and my rates never went up
94 gt auto becontrolls.com stand alone tranny computer,3000 stall,trannsgo shift kit,3.90s,31 moser axles, qa1 k-member,kb frame ties,mega bite lowers,comp extreme 270-276 dur .544 lift,#24 injecters,pro-m bullit meter,mac cai,pih kit,and all the little bolt ons
Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
Corral Charter Member

Don't people get warnings? I have 1 ticket in 28 years and 8 warnings. I don't know why but the police tend to cut me a break.

If you can work out a deal to avoid points, that is the best solution; I did on my one ticket.

Michael Means
Old 01-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post
Don't people get warnings? I have 1 ticket in 28 years and 8 warnings. I don't know why but the police tend to cut me a break.

If you can work out a deal to avoid points, that is the best solution; I did on my one ticket.

Michael Means
I didn't understand why I didn't get a warning. I was just cruising on up back to school, car loaded with all of my ####, no one on the road...

Thing that sucks is, I saw him on the side of the road and I had slowed down to about 65-70 but he already dinged me with his rear mounted radar which sucked. I really really need a V1.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post

Michael Means

Oh, I've had my share of warnings.... but they don't give warnings at the end of the month if you know what I mean...
Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads93GT View Post

Hey I was just looking for any angle to fight... they don't need to know that 1" rim doesn't mean 1" bigger tire...
Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #26

Trader Feedback: (6)

You could argue that yoru speedometer doesnt work too, but in the end its your fault that you have faulty equipment on your car. ITs your job to maintain your vehicle. That is what their argument would be. Its your car, its your fault.

FYI ive got 6 speeding tickets in the past 3 years in kansas, and my rates havnt went up once. Kansas was too confusing to live in. You would be on a road thats posted 65, then the road gets curvy so guess what, they change the speed limit to 55. If you arent familiar with that road, its easy to miss the speed limit signs. afterall, when you get on the highway and you see the speed limit posted, that is usually the last time you LOOK for speed limit signs till you come up to a town. 4 of those 6 tickets were going to work, traveling in a new and unknown area, and missing a speed limit sign. The other 2 tickets were aquired while I was actually conducting surveillance on someone, they were speeding, I was following them, and I got a ticket. go figure.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
Thats pretty weak, I got a ticket for going 80 in a 65 on the 101 going up to Nor Cal. I need to get a radar detector... FWIW, I don't know anyone that drive 65 on the freeway...in fact I think if you went 65 in LA you'd probably piss someone off and get shot.

If I were you I'd try to fight the ticket and say you were going with the flow of traffic.
Yeah go figure... If I was doing 65 I'd have been more of a danger to everyone...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #28

75 in a 65? Cops won't even flinch for 10 over in Georgia, city and county cops can't even write you up for that much.

If an insurance company bumps your rates for a ticket like that, its time to find a new insurance company. My guess is that it probably won't have much effect unless you're under 25. When I was applying for my policy after getting married, the rating program didn't even take into consideration speeding tickets that were less than 15 over the limit. Some insurance companies realize that many places are just after your money when it comes to speeding tickets and don't further penalize you because you got caught doing 4 over the limit in some one light town where the cops have nothing better to do all day long.
SVOCA #528
Old 01-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #29

Dont tell your insurance co and they probably wont even find out, if they do then just claim you didnt know to report it. But Insurance companies ability to 'find out' is vastly overstated, I have never had them contact me about a speeding violation ever.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #30

I got a ticket for blowing through a stop sign and I called my agent to ask what the ramifications of not taking defensive driving would be. His reply? Nada. Zilch.

Repeated tickets could result in some sanction but nothing serious. It was only my 3rd ticket ever.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #31

Depends on the rest of your driving history and when your insurance company decides to look into your driving record. Could be tomorrow, could be 6 months from now, could be never.

If you're speedo is off, that is no excuse. It does not excuse the fact you were over the limit. You are responsible for maintaining the vehicle in proper working order. If anything, if you get the calibration checked, they'll knock a couple of MPH off the ticket.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #32

When I got my first speeding ticket for 15 over my insurance on a 91 LX and 96 F250 went up over a $100 a month.

Hire a lawyer, fight the ticket do whatever you have to. It's cheaper to pay a lawyer to get rid of it now than have your insurance go up 45% for 3 years.

My wife got a $100 federal ticket for 14 over on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I called a lawyer and he said he could take care of it for $400, but he told me to go the courthouse and talk to the DA and see what could be done to avoid having insurance find out about it. My wife wouldn't go down there, and her idea of taking care of it woulda been just sending in the payment. So I went down to the courthouse and talked to the guards at the front door and asked who I should go talk to, they told me to go see the clerk of the court since that's who would take my money anyways. I talked to her and she said she doesn't bother reporting the tickets to DMV. Sounded good to me.

So go to the courthouse first and see what you can work out, talk to the clerk and see what they can do for you. Beats getting yelled at by a judge.

Life's not that hard Man; Take it easy.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #33

There's all kinds of variables. I've gotten 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 years and my insurance has dropped $20/month with no other changes.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #34

9 is fine, 10 you're mine

Don't just pay it. Go to court when indicated on the ticket looking good. I always did. The policeman has to be there too and sometimes he doesn't show and all the tickets he wrote will be dismissed by the judge and a group of people will run out of the courtroom with large smiles. Once the policeman who actually gave me the ticket came up to the bench with me, gave me a stink look, and told the judge that the policeman whose name was written on the ticket couldn't make it. ???? The judge dismissed the ticket, no fine no record nobody knows. Once the judge liked my story and dismissed one with the policeman there.
Worth a shot.

Last edited by DENGUY; 01-22-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #35

The moral of the story here is the penalty will be determined by the state you live in. I know for a fact that in Massachusetts, the state regulates the insurance industry. So if you get a speeding ticket, your rate will go up by a certain amount, regardless of who's your insurer. No traffic school either there.

In Illinois, I can go to traffic school and get the ticket dropped and it not affect my rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement