Foxbody prices - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Foxbody prices

I've been watching the prices of foxbodys go up and up. Now with many hitting the auction block at Barret Jackson, and seemingly driving the private sale prices up, is this just the beginning? With my father's generation paying top dollar to get their 70's muscle cars back it seems like our turn is right around the corner. So has the price for foxbody cars peaked, or are we just now seeing the tip of the iceberg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It's hard to say. It seems that every generation of people is willing to pay more an more for the cars they were used to seeing when they grew up. 80's BMW and Mercedes cars used to be nearly free but are now starting to climb steadily. It's no longer about how well they were built, their bang for the buck, etc., but almost more about sentiment. I've seen it with late 70s-early 90s broncos, Gen 1 lightnings, Panteras, even imports. the late 80's mid 90's japanese cars are skyrocketing. When my generation ages enough to afford mid-life crises, you're going to see C5 vettes, F-bodies and SN-95 GT's going for a ton of money.
post #3 of 38 Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Foxbody Mustangs have been fairly cheap on The left coast , tho they are coming up in price .
Used to get a 4 cylinder car for 500 bucks in very good condition .
Now closer to 2500 and not near as nice .
post #4 of 38 Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The cycle will continue with fox body Mustangs and accelerate as the owners of the 1980's and 1990's get into their 50's, 60's and 70's. 5.0 engine will last for a 100 years. Forget auction prices this is supply (produced, fixed, limited, and forever disintegrating) and demand (growing with age, declining with death).

I am calling it at 3% appreciation per year until we are dead. I'll be back in 20 years to comment. A few Barrett Jackson auction prices do not make a trend. That is an emotionally charged buying environment. This trend will most likely disappear with millennial born. Studies are showing they could care less about cars.

Mustang LX 5.0
Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z
Corvette ZR1
Buick Grand National GNX
Pontiac Firebird Formula
Chevrolet K-5 Blazer
Oldsmobile Toronado
Cadillac Allante...to name a few
post #5 of 38 Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Fox prices will trend up for a bit, level out, then tick up again. When you buy an older car(especially muscle cars) it's because of emotion and nastalgia. Most people who buy at Mecum and Barrett Jackson go there for a specific car. They are at a point in their lives when they can correct the, "I'd like to have that one back" or the, "I always wanted one" times in their earlier life. It's been said many times and I truly believe the fox is our generations 69 camaro. It was one of the most popular cars of its time and evokes memories and emotions in people that few other cars can do. That's what makes them special and sought after. I own a fox mustang and it's my most prized possession. I love that car more than anything, and have receipts to prove it. The reason is because I remember them back in the day and how much I wanted one; How cool the kids were who had them. Scurvey was correct, millennials could care less about cars. But, they aren't the middle aged guys trying to recapture their youth like we are. And there are a lot of us and will be for quite some time.
Scurvey likes this.

1993 Cobra: KB 2.1 Flowzilla 14psi, Alkycontrol meth injection
2003 Cobra: K&N / Borla Exhaust
post #6 of 38 Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Fox's have always been strange for pricing, it seems to depend on what part of the Country you are in.

Deplorables
post #7 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Ford made too many of them for any significant price increases.

1995 Cobra R
post #8 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 PM

wonder in like 25 years what they will go for... especially with the actual pushrod 5.0l in it not a LS swap ..puke.. or coyote swap
post #9 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995CobraR View Post

what about the 60s mustangs then plenty of them to go around back then but now for a fastback its crazy prices, coupes not so much but certainly more than when they first sold in mid/late 60s
ERStettin, Shakerhood and 1987gn like this.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I agree with this, about 250,000 per year they were manufactured from what I remember. Special vehicles like an SVO, 93 Cobra or Cobra R will bring the bigger money.

1990GT- New suspension, 5 lug Cobra disk brakes, King
Cobra clutch, FRPP 7003Z T5, aluminum drive
shaft and 3:55 gear. Daily driver with 200K plus
miles.
post #11 of 38 Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)

Michael Yount - Charlotte, NC - 82 Volvo 242 - 6.2L; '15 Fit; '16 CrossTrek
post #12 of 38 Old 02-12-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
The made roughly 700,000 Camaro's from 67-69 and they bring in big bucks so I don't see why making a large number will hurt future value.
Scurvey likes this.

Deplorables
post #13 of 38 Old 02-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Foxbody prices

If the prices were going to come up they would have already.

Restored 60s muscle cars have been worth more than a new car since the late 80s, when they were only a little over 20 years old.

The market isn't there for 80s cars like it was for the 50s and 60s. Baby boomers have more of a connection to cars than the gen X'ers do. They also had/have more disposal income than the later generations.

Let's be honest fox bodies don't have panache of older muscle cars. Besides the drivetrain the rest of the car is rather mundane. They don't have any interesting lines and look like your typical 80s car. Look at the bright side, at least they are worth as much as a c4 corvette with all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 38 Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 AM

I've noticed this over the last few years. Used to be able to find a nice V8 foxbody for $2500, now you're lucky to find a nice one for 4-5k. Getting harder to find too. Spent 2 years looking for an 82 T-Top that was less than 6k, and eventually had to settle on my newedge GT.

Side note, somebody mentioned the SN-95's skyrocketing eventually. I don't know why anybody would pay money for those butt-ugly things.
post #15 of 38 Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 PM

Here the prices are def going up. Esp for the notch. Almost impossible to find a notch for less than 3k.
post #16 of 38 Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 PM

Hell here even 4cyl rust bucket notches go for over 1,000.
post #17 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 AM

The nicest one in the latest auction struggled to get over $4000.

1995 Cobra R
post #18 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM

These are the '69 Camaros of our generation. Gen X'ers will pay for these cars. Don't underestimate the emotion and respect that the 5.0 garnishes in that age group. This is only the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucho65-2 View Post
If the prices were going to come up they would have already.

The market isn't there for 80s cars like it was for the 50s and 60s. Baby boomers have more of a connection to cars than the gen X'ers do. They also had/have more disposal income than the later generations.
Shakerhood and BDASPNY like this.
post #19 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucho65-2 View Post
Let's be honest fox bodies don't have panache of older muscle cars.

I disagree, and would counter that the Fox has more panache than the older cars. I think the fox has very interesting lines and that as far as Mustangs go, they are very unique! Looks are subjective obviously, but I have found that the longer I have owned Mustangs the more and more I am drawn to the fox body cars. It's actually odd to me that I haven't bought one yet. The car has a cult like following. I think clean examples of the car will continue to go up in price, and that entry level POS cars will still bring more than other gens in similar conditions in the years to come.
Scurvey and TK1299 like this.

-Adam
2002 Mustang GT
Previous Mustangs: 01 GT, 98 Cobra, 67 Coupe, 03 GT Vert.
post #20 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM

post #21 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvey View Post
These are the '69 Camaros of our generation. Gen X'ers will pay for these cars. Don't underestimate the emotion and respect that the 5.0 garnishes in that age group. This is only the beginning.
Maybe but they are not willing to part with $20k or more to own one. Back in 87 or 88 a friend of the family restored a 68 Mustang GT fastback with a 302 and a 4spd. Cool car but nothing notable about it like being a Shelby, rare option, big block or low production numbers. Also the engine was replaced so it wasn't numbers matching. It was appraised for $12k back in 1987 or 88. Using an inflation calculator $12k in 88 is equal to a little under $25k in 2017. I'll admit it's debatable if he could of gotten that much for it at the but there isn't a chance in hell any appraiser in 2017 (or in the 2000s when fox bodies were turning 20 years old) is going to value a restored fox body for $20k+.

Most of the fox bodies now are over 30 years old and the people that would have an attachment to them are in their 40s and 50s, so where are the big sales? These were prime buying years for the baby boomers.

Yes prices are rising on them but they are rising for all used cars. Of course 10 years ago you could have got a decent running 5.0 for less than $3k but $3k doesn't buy as much in 2017.
post #22 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Strat Mann View Post
I disagree, and would counter that the Fox has more panache than the older cars. I think the fox has very interesting lines and that as far as Mustangs go, they are very unique! Looks are subjective obviously, but I have found that the longer I have owned Mustangs the more and more I am drawn to the fox body cars. It's actually odd to me that I haven't bought one yet. The car has a cult like following. I think clean examples of the car will continue to go up in price, and that entry level POS cars will still bring more than other gens in similar conditions in the years to come.
I do agree with you they are unique as Mustangs go. They have their own style that reflects the era when they were produced. They are almost like an anti-Mustang as far as their styling goes, no 3 bar taillights, no c scope on the sides, no running horse in the grill, for a few years there wasn't a running horse to be found any where on the body or interior. On it's own there are things i love like the stainless steel exhaust pipes, rear spoiler, how the taillights are the same height as the license plate and fill the tail panel, the 85-86 GT front ends, I also like the way the dash and instrument panel is designed on my 88.

This might having something to do living in Los Angeles and the fact my car is light gray in color but when I got to Supercar Sunday, breakfast cruise-in at the Petersen Museum or cruise night my car almost disappears. Compared to the older muscle, exotics, newer performance cars, antiques, my car looks like a tall, boxy, econo car from the 80s. They are a "speak softly and carry a big stick" type of car.
post #23 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM

I guess we are about to find out, selling one of my notchbacks this week. Why don't we see what people are willing to pay? No wrap car here, just a straight bad ass driver.

1989 Ford Mustang LX Sedan 2-Door | eBay
Shakerhood and TK1299 like this.
post #24 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
I guess we are about to find out, selling one of my notchbacks this week. Why don't we see what people are willing to pay? No wrap car here, just a straight bad ass driver.

Wow! Already at 17.5k!

-Adam
2002 Mustang GT
Previous Mustangs: 01 GT, 98 Cobra, 67 Coupe, 03 GT Vert.
post #25 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:

That is a sharp car, hope it brings big bucks!
Scurvey likes this.

Deplorables
post #26 of 38 Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 AM

There are foxes selling for more now than when they were new. Not bad for a twenty five to thirty year old car. There are forums and multiple part manufacture companies dedicated to them. Not many other cars of that era can boast that. I'm not claiming a nice fox is a retirement nest egg investment, but they are no longer the "dime a dozen" cars they once were.

1993 Cobra: KB 2.1 Flowzilla 14psi, Alkycontrol meth injection
2003 Cobra: K&N / Borla Exhaust
post #27 of 38 Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Here in Texas, as Todd can probably attest to, the low mileage (under 30k) cars are being priced from 15-20k depending on the package (cobra R's are priced higher than this obviously). They're selling also, not just sitting on craigslist forever. I know of a few guys with extremely pristine examples who expect to fetch 20+ for them. Not that I'm justifying it, but it is what it is.
Shakerhood and Scurvey like this.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
I know of a few guys with extremely pristine examples who expect to fetch 20+ for them. Not that I'm justifying it, but it is what it is.
BTW, just to be clear on my position I am not in this to make money and gouge people to death. Cars can be lousy investments. Enjoyment of these cars is enough for me. That being said whenever I try to sell them unlisted (not eBay) I never can quite seem to get an offer. Lots of tire kickers but nobody seems to want to close a deal.
Shakerhood likes this.
post #29 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
BTW, just to be clear on my position I am not in this to make money and gouge people to death. Cars can be lousy investments. Enjoyment of these cars is enough for me. That being said whenever I try to sell them unlisted (not eBay) I never can quite seem to get an offer. Lots of tire kickers but nobody seems to want to close a deal.
I didn't mean for that to sound like it was targeting you. lol my bad.

I meant that these guys have a good idea of the market and know that they'll probably get the money from a collector. You're not gouging anybody. You're not forcing them to buy something they depend on. This is recreational hobby type stuff. If they want to pay your price, they can and the market adjusts upward every time that happens.
Scurvey likes this.
post #30 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
U.S. Army Active Duty

I have a soft spot for Fox body Mustangs and have had a few, several ####ty and one I loved, but the current prices for them are nucking futz! IMHO.

Annoy a Liberal: Work Hard and Be Happy.
A vote for a Demoncrat is a vote for terror.
Outback, Vulcan, Mustang, Impreza, Power Wagon, Freestar
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
post #31 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
I didn't mean for that to sound like it was targeting you. lol my bad.
None taken, I wasn't reading it like that. I have no ability to predict what these cars will bring. I just saw a 1989 SSP on eBay that has over 100K miles and it didn't go off reserve at $18.6K. Oh well, God Bless America!
post #32 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 02:11 PM
U.S. Army Active Duty

Quote:
None taken, I wasn't reading it like that. I have no ability to predict what these cars will bring. I just saw a 1989 SSP on eBay that has over 100K miles and it didn't go off reserve at $18.6K. Oh well, God Bless America!
Not a real SSP.

Annoy a Liberal: Work Hard and Be Happy.
A vote for a Demoncrat is a vote for terror.
Outback, Vulcan, Mustang, Impreza, Power Wagon, Freestar
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
post #33 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
Not a real SSP.
1989 Ford Mustang LX | eBay
post #34 of 38 Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM
joe

My experience the last few years here in Colorado....I'm always watching for lx cars in decent shape without the porno red interior. Its hard to find one that is tastefully modified or mostly stock for under 4k. Lots of GT'S that are driven to death and need to be restored...

I hardly ever see Lx's running around town. Most are garage queens or beat to hell.

Anyways, harder and harder to find a clean unmolested Notch here these days. I'm not a huge fan of big cowl hoods, but to each their own. What happened to all the stock fox hoods?? lol

harder to find...cost more here...
Shakerhood likes this.

1988 Lx Coupe
Audi A4 DD
post #35 of 38 Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Car sold for $20K 1 hour after auction close. That was my reserve price and floor that I was willing to let this car go for. Buyer is getting an absolute gem.
joe, Shakerhood, Ashlander and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement