Alice Cooper vs Stephen Hawking - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
P63

Trader Feedback: (10)

Alice Cooper vs Stephen Hawking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice copper
Jesus spent half his time dealing with demons and throwing them out of people. I don't think you just float around when you die - there's judgment, you either go to heaven or hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen hawking
heaven is a fairy story for those afraid of the dark
Discuss

Copyright 2013.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
P63

Alice Cooper isn't afraid of the dark...

.... he's what you FEAR when it's dark!

AC 1
SH 0

Copyright 2013.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

Last edited by P63; 02-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

Hawking has the better voice.
The arrogance on knife forums is completely out of proportion to those people's place in the food chain...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

"but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Matthew 8:12

OK, so I am afraid of the dark. You would be foolish not to be.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (7)

Depends on if you believe or if you don't. Nothing to discuss. Arguing about religion is more obnoxious than politics. At least with politics its interesting. Religion is nonsense.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shame302 View Post
Depends on if you believe or if you don't. Nothing to discuss. Arguing about religion is more obnoxious than politics. At least with politics its interesting. Religion is nonsense.
It got you to respond ....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Corral Charter Member

I don't believe, but I won't judge a man because he' on or off the god squad.

Let's compare:

Cooper

Alcoholic (recovering)
Alice Cooper
God Squad

Hawking

Astrophysicist
McHawking
Mod Squad

See, more similar than not.

Michael Means

Last edited by mmeans; 02-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post

Let's compare:

Cooper :
sober for 30 years
great guy, fun at parties
had more than his fill of life's pleasures

Hawking:
doesn't get the joke about the sad atom who's electron left him.
Thinks it's funny at McDonalds to order a Heisen-burger

fixed

Copyright 2013.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROJANII View Post
"but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Matthew 8:12

OK, so I am afraid of the dark. You would be foolish not to be.
The dark represents separation from God, and therefore, from each other: Despair.
It is not "dark" as in "dark places were unknown threats could be ready to pounce".

Still, I get your point.

Copyright 2013.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Corral Charter Member

Sober for 30 years but one drink away from no longer recovering. I have some of his vinyl and read a biography, maybe autobiography. I saw him on his TV specials and I think on that show that came on at midnight way back.

I've read Hawkin's book's and found them fascinating. He seemed to be a standard Oxford undergrad before being stricken with disease. I guess some folks seem to believe that makes him less than human. Their choice.

Michael Means
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Last edited by TROJANII; 02-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
P63

Quote:
Sober for 30 years but one drink away from no longer recovering. I have some of his vinyl and read a biography, maybe autobiography. I saw him on his TV specials and I think on that show that came on at midnight way back.

I've read Hawkin's book's and found them fascinating. He seemed to be a standard Oxford undergrad before being stricken with disease. I guess some folks seem to believe that makes him less than human. Their choice.

Michael Means
Pretty unsporting, referring to a successfully recovered alcoholic as "one drink away from doom". Come on, Mr Means, you're better than that.

I don't think anyone considers Mr Hawking to be less than human. Who is of that opinion?

Oh, and by the way, J's89's comment is

Copyright 2013.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (15)

Theres also the certainty that they are both wrong. Alice Cooper should not be who you look to as a guy that points you to God. And Stephen Hawking knows space and physics and is high on his own knowledge. I say both are bad options.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P63 View Post
Pretty unsporting, referring to a successfully recovered alcoholic as "one drink away from doom". Come on, Mr Means, you're better than that.

I don't think anyone considers Mr Hawking to be less than human. Who is of that opinion?

Oh, and by the way, J's89's comment is
Unsporting, I suggest you attend an open AA meeting to understand just how these people are balancing on the edge IF they start to believe they can have just one drink.

IMO it seems that your posts lean to support anyone on the god squad and less supportive of those who choose not to believe. Just and observation, by no means fact but my interpretation.

Michael Means
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
P63

Quote:
Unsporting, I suggest you attend an open AA meeting to understand just how these people are balancing on the edge IF they start to believe they can have just one drink.

IMO it seems that your posts lean to support anyone on the god squad and less supportive of those who choose not to believe. Just and observation, by no means fact but my interpretation.

Michael Means
My friend, I hear what you are saying and do not deny the charge.

I was saddened by Dr Hawking's TV special, because it seemed to be a cry of anger on his part. If one rewatches it, early on Hawking makes the statement "ancient people thought disease was a curse from God... well what would they think if they saw ME?" The guy is clearly angry at God.

If you, Mr Means, were to have total creative license to create any TV special you wanted, none of us have any doubt it would be filled with your insightful (and often entertaining) opinions on Mustangs, civil rights, and maybe an expression of reserve regarding overzealous people. I seriously doubt you would spend the entire time God-bashing, as Dr Hawking did.

Actually, the "post 1" thought occurred to me as I was reading up on Alice Cooper at imdb. He is widely known as a very nice guy. A significant number of his quotes are in regards to the afterlife. Granted, that could just be to support his stage persona, but still, they contrast Dr Hawking's statements directly, and given that one guy is really cool and the other is angry at the world, that says something.

Help me out, Dr Hawking is a sub-atomic physicist, isn't he? How did he get this astrophysicist moniker?

... and he's certainly no expert on God. No more so than a bus driver or screwdriver repairman.

Copyright 2013.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P63 View Post

I was saddened by Dr Hawking's TV special, because it seemed to be a cry of anger on his part. If one rewatches it, early on Hawking makes the statement "ancient people thought disease was a curse from God... well what would they think if they saw ME?" The guy is clearly angry at God.
THAT's what you got out of it? Hmmm.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #17

WiKi sez Alice is a born again Christian and also the son of a minister.

Last edited by White05GT; 03-02-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by shame302 View Post
THAT's what you got out of it? Hmmm.
yep. After 10 minutes I couldn't take any more.

Went to "corral", incognito
and wrote my pro-ose
That Mr Means, he recognized me
and PEM ate all my po-osts.

Copyright 2013.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Corral Charter Member

I didn't see it as Hawking was knocking god either, but I suppose that's all from perspective. Skeptical, sure, and using lot's of that English humor when referring to god, of course but not knocking people's beliefs in a Supreme Diety or Dieties. I suppose that since I read his books I was prepositioned for his use of humor and skepticism when referring to god.

If you took offense, you are in your rights to do so but tome it was nothing more than a humorous look with a good dose of skepticism/sarcasm. Oh well, we can't all be the same as that would make earth kind of boring.

I deny any knowledge of this PEM, none, nothing.... /spits out the bad spirits...

Michael Means
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
P63

Quote:
If you took offense, you are in your rights to do so but tome it was nothing more than a humorous look with a good dose of skepticism/sarcasm.
I didn't take offense, I just found it to be tedious. Maybe the humor was above me.

FWIW, there are certain "social commentary comedy shows" that regularly offend me deeply, but I can take it, and I keep watching them. I can risk being offended if the payoff is insightful comedy from other perspectives.

Copyright 2013.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (2)

It's mostly about which of the Big Lies that one wants to believe in.

In Hawking's case...electrons have been proven to exist. Ask anyone from Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or Chernobyl.

Of course, religious fanatics have killed many people fighting over some bedtime story handed down for ages.

I can get along with most anybody, unless they start getting pushy about their beliefs...some of my best friends are highly religious, but we've made it a hard and fast rule to not discuss our beliefs. Worked well for the last 15 years.

To each their own...ya know.