Since when are Craftsman Ratchets made in China/Taiwan? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Since when are Craftsman Ratchets made in China/Taiwan?

Went to Sears today to exchange some broken screwdrivers and a 36T 3/8" ratchet and was looking around at the new tools. Picked up a new 3/8" standard issue Craftsman and saw on the back "Made in China". Since when? Went through some others, "Made In USA".

I know that Craftsman has been carrying China small pliers and wire snips, especially in the "Professional" series small sets with the gold/black handles and some other stuff.

Then went through the newer 60-tooth Professional ratchets (built by Danaher, i presume.) and the same thing. All made in Taiwan. I have some at home I know were made in USA.

New 84T ratchets all appear to be Made In USA... for now.

Can you tell which one is Made in USA?

Last edited by Blue 98 GT; 02-21-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #2

I've just about gave up on crapsman tools....pretty bad when I can use a stanley ratchet from wal mart just as hard, and it still "feels" new...I bet since I bought my set from sears in 2005, that I've had the 1/4" ratchet replaced 5 times or more, and the 3/8" at least 5, and the 1/2" I'm on the third or fourth one as well.

Not to mention 10 or 12 cracked sockets, mostly the 1/2" drive stuff.

Cheap chinese-made ####, is all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

It started to go downhill once Kmart bought them a several years ago.

TOO MUCH IS...JUST ENOUGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
fine. I'm out. I don't need this place.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

The one made in China looks like ass. I started slowly converting my toolbox over to Snap-On one ratchet at a time. I have tons of sockets, so I'll probably never have to buy another one of those.
The arrogance on knife forums is completely out of proportion to those people's place in the food chain...
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (0)

It costs a hell of a lot to make tools here. But they have had some tools made off shore for decades.

Nothing new, price drives selection.

Michael Means
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post
It costs a hell of a lot to make tools here. But they have had some tools made off shore for decades.

Michael Means
+1. "We" did it to ourselves. Those ratchets have sucked for a long time now.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

Wow, I could tell immediately which what what from the first pic. You can clearly see the difference in the quality of the cast metal. For a brand that was always touted as "Made in USA", that's bull ####, IMO. Good think all of my craftsman stuff is old....
'94 Lightning #2978 = SOLD
'77 F-150 RCLB 2wd 408 cleveland in the works
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Corral Charter Member

It's sad but true. Everyone believes they deserve a new car every two years and a 4,000 sq ft home just because they have a job.

Look where that landed us. We buy products from overseas with Chinese loans.

Michael Means
Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (44)

Quote:
It's sad but true. Everyone believes they deserve a new car every two years and a 4,000 sq ft home just because they have a job.
Well the CEOs and high level non working, non value adding management people also think they need a 20,000 sq ft house and 3 vacation houses, not to mention all the cars for sitting in meetings all day and making STUPID decisions that actually tie the hands of the working people. It is not one sided by any means and if it is, it is the other side. The same idiots who then outsourced the work cuz it was not getting done fast enough to pay their bloated salaries and keep shareholders happy (oh, more non value added payees). Then they do not replace equipment or reinvest in the company to inflate 1/4 earnings cuz the share holders expect a nice dividend check and wonder why it goes under. Then cut overtime and the end of each 1/4-ly to inflate the books some more. Also expect 30 year old machines that are beat to death to maintain a 90% efficiency rate in their little fantasy land and when they are not.......then the workers MUST be f'n off on the job. Tell me about it when CEOs are not paid $30 million a year and they are the very idiots that are ruining this country. As if ANYONE needs to make that kinda money. How many companies got bailouts from the taxpayers and then raked it HUGE bonuses??? How many outsource more work after that??? How many get mega millions in tax breaks yet pay their employees $15 an hour or less? Worst of all, when they tank the company.....they will get a big buyout of their contract to leave while the workers are left to suffer for it. And then that same CEO will do it again for another company a year or 2 later. I HATE our entire system. Worked much better for all involved when the OWNER of the company was on site and his family's livelyhood depended on the long term success of the company. Our new system breeds dishonesty to make a dollar today and not worry about tomorrow.

But, I digress. With Craftsman ir started with the spin off brands of Craftsman (can't even recall their names now) and then transferred over to involve the actual Craftsman name. Really ticked me off......cuz I own a lot of Craftsman tools and the main reason I bought them was because of the warranty and they were made in the USA. It is getting harder and harder to find ANYTHING made here in the USA. But let's face it. It really started with WALMART..............

Last edited by mhinchley; 02-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #10

A lot of Matco stuff is made in Taiwan. I would have thought that tool truck stuff would be mostly US made.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Corral Charter Member

Why? If the Taiwanese stuff meets the specs and is cheaper to make and ship to the US than to make here? Matco is just making a business decision.

Too bad congress/labor have made manufacturing in the US too expensive. But that's what America has voted to receive, an unfriendly manufacturing enviorment.

Michael Means
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (44)

Quote:
Why? If the Taiwanese stuff meets the specs and is cheaper to make and ship to the US than to make here? Matco is just making a business decision.

Too bad congress/labor have made manufacturing in the US too expensive. But that's what America has voted to receive, an unfriendly manufacturing enviorment.

Michael Means
Meets what specs? You think someone is checking for impurities in their castings??? That is a laugh. Just cuz it looks the same does not mean it is the same. Are they using the same cooling techniques or are they "speeding up" the process for example.

The government and CEOs are in the same bed. I am not counting on much help from them.

The people here need to do something about it. More mom and pop shops and frequenting them is the ticket. Quit shopping at Walmart. Buy local. The one thing a small business owner CAN eliminate is the inflated CEO and Shareholders cuts by not having them. True employee owned companies is another way. Everyone has an interest in high productivity if their pay and future truly depends on it.

Last edited by mhinchley; 02-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Corral Charter Member

Yes, Matco or it's parent company gives them the specs, they produce it and Matco or it's parent company should be checking the quality of the end products before accepting the lots.

If you leave labor out of that bed, you are not being truthful as they hold a lot of monetary sway with the government as well.

The people here voted to do nothing but make it harder for the mom & pop shops for purely selfish reasons. Especially those that support labor unions.

The trouble for a small business is that the laws and regulations the people voted to receive are quite hostile. The DNC and it's supporters like labor, hate entrepreneurs. They simply to not fit in their commie dream of America.

You would think employee owned companies would have high productivity. It's hit or miss based upon the culture at the company. But without an effective CEO they won't need to worry about being open for long. Andy by effective I mean they will cost some money.

Michael Means
Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

They now also have plastic reversing levers that like to break off!

THE FUSION HAS BEEN REPLACED BY AN 88 TC!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (3)

Crapsman has been absolute JUNK for years now. Only stuff left of theirs I have is some Craftsman Professional standard line wrenches. Inferior metal quality and chroming process as my Snap-On stuff. The rest I gave to my father, he doesn't use tools often enough to break them, like I do.

A lot of Matco stuff is made overseas too, keep that in mind. There's a reason why their stuff is usually cheaper than Snap-On's. Some of their stuff is made in Germany though, which is obviously quality. Knipex pliers come to mind.

There's a reason why the vast majority of my tools are Snap-On, and not because I like paying double of what every other brand costs!!!!

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #16

I used to buy mostly craftsman tools when I could, but for the same reasons posted here I have resorted to other sources for tools when I need them. What kills me is they make these tools in china now, but still charge prices as if they were still made in the U.S. Why would I pay U.S. made prices for goods made in China when I can go to Harbor Freight and pay made in China prices on made in China goods?
2004 silver zx-6r ninja
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #17

From what I've been able to tell, pretty much the only Craftsman stuff that is still made solely in the US is their basic wrenches and sockets. Pretty much anything with a moving part is made partly or entirely overseas. ALL of their "gimmick" tools are made in China, like their indexing wrenches, funky pliers, etc. I bought a 398-piece mechanics tool set in 1987. I still have all of those wrenches and ratchets. The other day, I bought a little 1/4-drive ratchet and socket set to blow a gift card I got for Christmas. The ratchet won't even reverse half the time. What a POS.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #18

When I went in the other day to get a ratchet serviced with new parts, they couldn't tell me where the internals were made. Meaning if you take in a 3/8" driver ratchet Made In USA you might wind up with foreign-made internal gears, etc. in the rebuild kit.

Maybe it's not that big of a loss. I picked up a used F80 Snap-On 3/8" drive ratchet and I am super impressed. 80 teeth, quiet operation and very precise movement. My 60 tooth Craftsman ratchets (Danaher made) feel like crap. Then the 36 tooth standard issue Craftsman ratchets feel archaic.

I avoid using the lower end Craftsman ratchets now.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
U.S. Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:

Michael Means
Exactly, get the greedy unions involved and price goes sky high for all the kick backs.

I hate to say it but I buy cheap stanley walleyworld tolls that I am tossing in my truck.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #20

The old beat up Stanley ratchet I have is stronger than the Crapsman and even my Snap-On ratchets. I never liked Craftsman, they wrenches and other hand tools looked crappy and were to bulky compared to Snap On and even Cornwall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement