Anyone own or drive a BMW 335i - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (14)

Anyone own or drive a BMW 335i

Hey guys...

Im looking into getting a new car in the next couple months. I've had mustangs since I was 16 and thats pretty much it. Thinking it might be time to explore a different ride for a few years. Ran across the 335i and loved the look of it and then really loved it when i found out it has twin turbo's and around 300hp factory. They seem fairly easy to mod (a little more pricey than the stang) but i wouldn't do much to it.

Anyway, just wanted to see what everyones experience was with them.

Thanks!

68 Mustang Coupe: 2001 Explorer motor/GT-40P heads/Weiand Action Plus intake/ TFS Stage 1 camshaft/Power Steering/4-wheel disk brakes/T-5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

I think LocoGt has one. It's probably for sale and has OEM taillights.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

hit up Bimmerforums.com | The Ultimate BMW Forum

My father has a 2009 335i TT which he purchased new - for stock power output, it's a killer car, more so for the unsuspecting...

You'll definitely be pleased with it, if you buy one.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Formerly LocoGT

Trader Feedback: (33)

I have a 2007 335xi. They are actually not all that expensive to mod when you look at what you get out of them. You can easily put down over 400 WHP with bolt ons & meth.

I have the Cobb AP & BMS DCI on mine & it went 12.9 @ 109 MPH. Total cost of mods was just over $800.

Do not buy one unless it is new or has the BMW CPO 100k mile warranty. These cars are notorious for HPFP issues (BMW has put a 120k mile warranty on them all though) & the interior panels like to chip/peel & you can't just order touch up paint to fix it.

I have not had any HPFP issues. My HPFP & injectors were done right before I bought the car, though.

Shortly after I bought mine, I had the typical brake squeal issue. I took it to a dealer & after a few minutes of fighting them, they put new pads & sensors on for free under warranty & the noise was gone.

Recently, I had to take it in again b/c the mechatronic sleeve was leaking trans fluid. They replaced that & the trans pan gasket. No more leak & fixed under warranty.

I have also had my iDrive decide to just not work a couple of times. It started working again on its own a few minutes later.

Other than that, the car has been good & fun to drive, but it doesn't excite me so I have it up for sale.

Do not buy one without the Sport Package. The seats alone are worth it. If you drive a sport & non-sport you'll see the big difference in handling.

Ignore the "you must have an oil cooler" people. You only NEED the OC if you plan to autocross the car on the regular.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Thank you that was perfect! That is pretty good for that amount of mods. I wont be able to get a new one, but im going to look at 08's & 09's. I will make sure to look out for the 100k warranty.

Have you heard anything negative about the hard top convertibles?

68 Mustang Coupe: 2001 Explorer motor/GT-40P heads/Weiand Action Plus intake/ TFS Stage 1 camshaft/Power Steering/4-wheel disk brakes/T-5
Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

Im shopping for a 335 or 135 here soon. I drove one at the dealership and loved it. Its by far the best overall car out there. Find a dealership that has one with a manual and give it a test drive, you will love it.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignificant View Post
You can easily put down over 400 WHP with bolt ons & meth.
and the car wont sleep for DAYS and then this will happen:

Quote:
the interior panels like to chip/peel
bmw faces of meth
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (31)

i had a 3-series, sold it because parts crippled the wallet (OEM parts).

If you get one with a warranty, go nuts!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconnor3 View Post
Thank you that was perfect! That is pretty good for that amount of mods. I wont be able to get a new one, but im going to look at 08's & 09's. I will make sure to look out for the 100k warranty.

Have you heard anything negative about the hard top convertibles?
Nothing bad about the E93s that doesn't apply to the E90s or E92s as well.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Corral Elite Member

PS only opt for sport if you know your ass will fit in the seat. I am just a hair over 6'1 and 265, I do not fit! More of a width issue, the leg and back bolsters are narrow. My shoulder blades ride on top of the bolster and my thighs are packed so tight I can hear my boys screamin.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #11

My wife had an 08 and we LOVED it. The power is good, the handling and braking are amazing. The ride is good, even with the sport package. The sport seat are comfy and very adjustable, but like JP said, they are narrow. So test fit them first. We had no HPFP issues in the 3 years we leased it. The only warranty issue we had was a small light in the headlight assembly.

I agree with the others, make sure to get an extended warranty/CPO. The parts can be crazy expensive and they aren't very friendly for us home wrenchers. Also check the tires if buying used. The stock run flats are insanely expensive and won't last much past 25k or so (if that). Many get replaced with non run flats.

They are a great daily driver, but won't have the wow factor of a Mustang/Camaro/Corvette. If you want a great DD, they are good. If you're looking for a performance car, don't look at BMW (short of the M series).
Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
If you're looking for a performance car, don't look at BMW (short of the M series).
There are other types of performance cars beside V8 power in a straight line. A non M car that would be a great daily driver, *with* great performance: First Drive: 2011 BMW 335iS
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
they aren't very friendly for us home wrenchers.
This is false. They are very easy to work on.

Quote:
Also check the tires if buying used. The stock run flats are insanely expensive and won't last much past 25k or so (if that). Many get replaced with non run flats.
Runflats suck. Period. Replace them with Non-Runflats ASAP. I did & the ride is so much better.

Quote:
They are a great daily driver, but won't have the wow factor of a Mustang/Camaro/Corvette. If you want a great DD, they are good. If you're looking for a performance car, don't look at BMW (short of the M series).
If you want to go fast in a straight line cheap & easy, the 335 is a great car.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrstask View Post
There are other types of performance cars beside V8 power in a straight line. A non M car that would be a great daily driver, *with* great performance: First Drive: 2011 BMW 335iS
The 335is is a 335i with a body kit & BMW PE & a couple more ponies. Not worth the price difference.

If you are spending 335is money, just buy the M3.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #15

Quote:

My first BMW (08 328xi) made me not miss my 08 GT. My 06 550i made me forget what a Mustang is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #16

Thanks guys I'm liking the feedback. They sound like a great car and it will be a good change for a few years too. Looking to pick one up in January/February!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
The 335is is a 335i with a body kit & BMW PE & a couple more ponies. Not worth the price difference.

If you are spending 335is money, just buy the M3.
There's about a $8-10K price difference between the 335is and the M3, not to mention gas mileage concerns, insurance pricing, etc if the car will be a daily driver.

Granted, most of the performance gains between the 335i and 335is can be had with tuning, at least on the older dual-turbo models. But I think as a good all-around car the 335is is the way to go.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (18)

I drive a 135i, but it has the same N54 engine as the 335i. The factory rating of 300/300 is slightly under rated. Most cars make around 275/280 at the tires completly stock.

I also had the stage 1 Cobb Access Port tune on my 135. The power increase is amazing for just a simple reflash. They advertise about 75whp/80ftlbs over stock. Most people make around 330whp/360ftlbs with the reflash.

The only major draw back to these N54 engines is (as stated above) the notorious High Pressure Fuel Pump failures. Only 2 weeks after I installed the tune, my HPFP died. A quick uninstall of the software and the dealer replaced it for free. BMW now offers a lifetime warranty on the HPFP.

Currently my wife is using this car as her daily driver, but I plan to get her into something else and make the 1 my toy. Its can be made unexpectingly quick, and still drive like a bmw. I like it.

BMW offers a Performance Power Package for the N54. The stage 1 is a computer reflash. (335is tune) I have seen people report 40whp from the upgrade even though BMW only rates it at 20hp. I believe its $500 from BMW, and retains the factory warranty. I'd imagine since its mild, it wont over work the HPFP.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
Formerly LocoGT

Did you buy anything? My 335xi is for sale.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #20

No I am still kinda looking, but I think I am actually going to try and buy a house in the next 4 months so I need to hold off until then. If the house idea falls through Ill PM you for sure!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
P63

Trader Feedback: (10)

OP, I'll take the risk out of the 335 purchase:

Buy the 335, and if you don't like it for any reason at all, I'll trade you my mustang for it!

Copyright 2013.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Did you buy anything? My 335xi is for sale.
Really?

What are you going to get when it is gone?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHowie View Post
Really?

What are you going to get when it is gone?
Been looking for anotehr Mazdaspeed6, but not having any luck. Maybe a new Mazdaspeed3 or just get the C6Z now & drive the Sable around for a while. I want too many cars.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN

Trader Feedback: (3)

my sister and her husband just bought a 2011, thing is nice! I was really surprised at the power and how well it pulled for the power it has, its the first I drove a BMW and I was pretty impressed but not blown away overall
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #25

As far as the "you cant work on them" or "you have to go to the dealer" that is false. If you cant handle something look at local BMW groups or even the local SCCA. In my area the local SCCA has a very active BMW group and they do tons of side work from what I hear.

My uncle in GA has like 3-4 VW TDI (well one is an old model prior to the turbo). He uses local VW guys to do most of his work versus the dealer as well.

I would love to get into a 335 or 550 down the road...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (15)

Another option is the Infiniti G37. I have driven in both the 335i and G37's, and my next driver will be a G37.
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #27
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinerton View Post
Another option is the Infiniti G37. I have driven in both the 335i and G37's, and my next driver will be a G37.
I thought the G sucked compared to my 335.

Buying either 1 w/o sport package is a waste IMO as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #28

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quote:
I thought the G sucked compared to my 335.

Buying either 1 w/o sport package is a waste IMO as well.
Strange...Very similar performance, better interior,better paint, body panel alignment and MUCH cheaper to maintain/repair.... The G37S.

What exactly does a BMW yuppie see as "suck" in a G37??? Just curious??
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #29

I like the fact that the 335i has factory twin turbos along with the look it has, has my vote. A little juvenile, but I love the thought of putting an aftermarket BOV on it and a tune to up the boost and you can really hear the turbos work...sounds cool and looks refined.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
Formerly LocoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinerton View Post
Strange...Very similar performance, better interior,better paint, body panel alignment and MUCH cheaper to maintain/repair.... The G37S.

What exactly does a BMW yuppie see as "suck" in a G37??? Just curious??
Are you comparing a wrecked 335 to a new G or something? Body panel alignment between the 2 is not what you are saying.

The paint on my BMW has held up pretty damn well. I don't really have any rock chips up front on the bumper.

Out of warranty, sure the G is probably cheaper to maintain, but who buys either 1 out of warranty these days? Not anyone I know.

Similar performance? LOL no.

Interior is opinion I guess b/c I felt the navi layout in the G was horrible & I did not like being in that car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement