Washer & Dryer combo - which brand for quality & longevity? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

Question Washer & Dryer combo - which brand for quality & longevity?

Just curious - shopping around for a new Washer & Dryer combo...

Any recommendations for a certain brand? I need input/opinions on actual quality & longevity of the appliance. Orientation of the doors on the units does not matter.

Not looking to spend 1 meeellion bucks on a combo... Is there a good web link that has such reviews for Washers & Dryers (besides freakin Home Depot & Lowes)?
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (179)

Whirlpool....that stuff just keeps going and going and going...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (0)

Samsung, my dryer had been great. My only regret is not getting the model with the remote time keeper.

Just bought a Maytag washer, had a Kenmore/whirlpool but won't buy either of those again. I think maytag is made in/by same people, kind of like MTD makes all the mowers.

I got a top load washer, glass lid, huge capacity for $650 as a floor model. It washes really well, one of the best features is the spin cycle really takes moisture out. It sounds like a jet aircraft spinning up on start up. And it's quiet when behind a closed door.

Michael Means
Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (4)

Means, I hate to break it to you but if you bought a Maytag, you did buy a Kenmore/Whirlpool. Whirlpool owns and manufactures Whirlpool, Jenn-Air, Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Admiral, Amana, Kenmore, and several others.

When it comes to appliances there are really only 3 major players. Whirlpool, GE, and LG. I sometimes play the part of appliance salesperson at work and I have noticed that GE and LG seem to be tops as far as reliability, value for your dollar, etc...

Unless you want to re-learn everything you know about laundry, I'd stay away from front loaders.

That's about all I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
FD wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.
Houses fall off hillsides when it rains there and what doesn't slide down the hill is consumed by a wildfire and what isn't consumed by flames crumbles under earthquakes and what doesn't crumble is vandalized and turned into crackhouses by out-of-control gangs.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

We are getting front loading Speed Queens as soon as we are done with the kitchen. The price isn't too much different than your home store appliances (some of the fancy looking ones are actually more expensive), and you get a commercial grade washer/dryer that has a much larger capacity.

IMO, it's a no brainer unless you want to pay for some options that you will never use.

Last edited by ITSTOCK; 05-19-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

I bought new a GE washer and Electric Dryer in 2004. Have not had a single problem with them.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

My wife and I bought a Fisher & Paykal almost 2 years ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since, I recommend it.
I originally wanted a front loader but she said you can't stop a front loader during the wash cycle to throw something in.
With kids I can definitely see the advantage of being able to lift the lid and throwing something in so we went with a top loader.
93 Cobra #818.

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO LOU View Post
My wife and I bought a Fisher & Paykal almost 2 years ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since, I recommend it.
I originally wanted a front loader but she said you can't stop a front loader during the wash cycle to throw something in.
With kids I can definitely see the advantage of being able to lift the lid and throwing something in so we went with a top loader.
Some of them you can. The LGs will actually drain the water out if you hit the stop button. At least, some of them will.

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Houses fall off hillsides when it rains there and what doesn't slide down the hill is consumed by a wildfire and what isn't consumed by flames crumbles under earthquakes and what doesn't crumble is vandalized and turned into crackhouses by out-of-control gangs.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (9)

I have a Frigidaire Washer and Dryer, bought them new in 1999. These kinda threads make me nervous cause it will probably jinx them now.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #10

We have admiral (made by maytag).

Ford driver, just becaues "X" company makes "X,Y,Z,AA" products, doesn't mean that the quality control departments are the same.

We have had our washer and dryer (non-front loaders....for the same reasons FD says not to buy them) since 2008 and they've been hassle free and do a great job.

Toy: 2001 Camaro SS m6 - Lid, Free ram-air, BMR springs, Bilstien shocks, STB, PHB, SFC and NT05's.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #11

We did a lot of homework recently and it came down to LG vs Samsung. Some of the better Whirlpools also had solid reviews.

The problem is you can't just rely on a brand anymore. They all make so many different models and some are better than others.

We bought ours at the Sears scratch n dent store and paid nearly half of their retail price.

"Regret for the things we've done can be tempered by time; it is regret for those things we did not do that is inconsolable." -Sydney J. Harris
Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
We have admiral (made by maytag).

Ford driver, just becaues "X" company makes "X,Y,Z,AA" products, doesn't mean that the quality control departments are the same.

We have had our washer and dryer (non-front loaders....for the same reasons FD says not to buy them) since 2008 and they've been hassle free and do a great job.
Actually, the Whirlpool family of appliances are all made in the same factory alongside one another. They're mechanically identical, down to the ice and water filter (in the case of refrigerators). All of the Maytag, Amana, Admiral, and Kenmore front loaders all use the same exact pedestals. That's similar enough for me.

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Corral Charter Member

In some of the customer reviews I saw references to a moldy smell from front load washers. Could be user error but I liked the top loader just fine.

FordDriver, that's what I suspected. At least it's not a Calyspo wash like the one that died.

Michael Means
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #14

The LG front load washer has a magnet built into the door where you can leave it open but it doesn't swing wide. It keeps it "open" while being "closed." Yes, you can develop mold in a front loader if you're a lazy piece of #### who never cleans anything. It's as easy as wiping out the rubber door seal with a 5:1 mixture of bleach and water and a clean rag.

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
Corral Charter Member

That's what I figured, but the top loader fit the available space better and no bending down to load clothes. Important to me as I'm the dude that does the wash.

Michael Means
Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post
That's what I figured, but the top loader fit the available space better and no bending down to load clothes. Important to me as I'm the dude that does the wash.

Michael Means
We have a Whirlpool Cabrio set that is also top-loading that works perfectly for us. Never an issue even though some people on here or somewhere said they were garbage.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
Corral Charter Member

That's encouraging. My Calypso washer worked great for 8 years. Not long I suppose by washer standards but I ended up with a replacement that's even better and uses less energy, estimated anyway.

Michael Means
Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #18

I just checked on reviews for our set and they're pretty much universally lamented. Maybe (hoping) we got a factory freak that just works.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Corral Charter Member

There was a class action lawsuit on the Whirlpool/Kenmore Calypso. That's how much it was hated. LOL!

Michael Means
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #20

We have a Whirlpool/Duet front load set. I would not recommend them. They are less than 10 years old, our in-laws gave them to us, so I really can't bitch, but they had them worked on twice (not sure what, once was right before we got a hold of them) We've had them maybe 6 months, and it appears the bearing supporting the spin basket in the washer is bad. Gonna see if I can fix it myself......
'94 Lightning #2978 = SOLD
'77 F-150 RCLB 2wd 408 cleveland in the works
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (6)

I bought all Maytag appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher) when I bought my house 6 years ago. The compressor went out in the fridge within a year (covered under warranty), the washer started getting really loud and leaking water out the bottom at about 5 years old and we were told it wasn't worth fixing because it was junk (this coming from the place I bought it from) so we replaced it with a Samsung (GREAT so far). The dryer sounds like it is going to explode every time we use it but it does dry so for now we aren't replacing it. The dishwasher has always been REALLY loud and cleans ok but a couple of days ago the handle broke. It still opens and closes so for now it stays. The stove and microwave have been good. [knock on wood]

These weren't Maytags cheap line either. All the kitchen appliances are stainless and the washer/ dryer are the commercial models. I don't know who owns or makes Maytag now but I really don't care because I've had such bad luck with them I will NEVER buy one again.
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder V8 - no turbo
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #22

Here's some good references:

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

http://www.whirlpool.com/custserv/other_sites.jsp

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89Stang View Post
I bought all Maytag appliances. I don't know who owns or makes Maytag now but I really don't care because I've had such bad luck with them I will NEVER buy one again.
I did the same thing about 10 years ago, biggest mistake, EVER! The Maytag repair man can suck my nuts. Biggest POS of all time.

Lems
Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
Banned

I have had great luck with all my Maytag items, only thing not Maytag is the stove, and I plan on getting one in the next year or so. Dishwasher is great, as is the side by side fridge with ice and water. Washer/dryer works great. All about 10+ years old.

I buy al Dewalt power tools, made by Black & Decker, but the Dewalt power tools are way above B&D quality/power.

I also only try to by Sony T.V.'s and video stuff as they have done me well.
BLK-Merc-MM is banned  
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #25

Trader Feedback: (17)

My parents had Whirpool for many years with no issues and we`re on year 11 with our Whirlpool appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, stove) and no issues so far. I will buy Whirlpool again next time. Only other thing I would add is stay away from too many bells and whistles - more to go wrong and you don`t use most of the extra features anyway.
1992 GT Vert: 306, AFR165, E303, Vortech V2 SQ, SCT, Performer Intake, MM CC plates, MM R&T/Bilsteins, FRPP FCA & UCA, MM LCA, FMS d/s, 3:73's, MM XL SFC, STB & 4-pt brace, 03 Cobra deep dish

2004 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
2006 Volvo S60R AWD Turbo
Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (10)

I will never buy a washer/dryer with a digital panel. I was told by a repair man that the newer appliances with digital panels are not repairable by most average repairman. They don't have access to schematics for these panels. He said most guys in the buisness (around here) have to refuse work due to this. Sears and the like have their repairman under signed contract saying they can't share their knowledge of these newer digital appliances, if they find out they are sharing knowledge they can and will be fired. Some of the Sears (and others) employees still share their knowledge to outside repair men due to friend ships but either then that they don't share. The less they share the better the job security.
I'm not sure if this is just a local thing or every where but it's something to think about. Future repair cost and the ease of finding some one to work on it should be considered. Maybe call some local repair men and ask if they can work on newer digital washer/dryer and go from there.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #27

Trader Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
I will never buy a washer/dryer with a digital panel. I was told by a repair man that the newer appliances with digital panels are not repairable by most average repairman. They don't have access to schematics for these panels. He said most guys in the buisness (around here) have to refuse work due to this. Sears and the like have their repairman under signed contract saying they can't share their knowledge of these newer digital appliances, if they find out they are sharing knowledge they can and will be fired. Some of the Sears (and others) employees still share their knowledge to outside repair men due to friend ships but either then that they don't share. The less they share the better the job security.
I'm not sure if this is just a local thing or every where but it's something to think about. Future repair cost and the ease of finding some one to work on it should be considered. Maybe call some local repair men and ask if they can work on newer digital washer/dryer and go from there.
Yeah, that's what I mentioned as well - we were looking at all Whirlpool "Gold" models but then downgraded to their regular line on some so we could get some simpler features with actual dials versus touch/digital panels.
1992 GT Vert: 306, AFR165, E303, Vortech V2 SQ, SCT, Performer Intake, MM CC plates, MM R&T/Bilsteins, FRPP FCA & UCA, MM LCA, FMS d/s, 3:73's, MM XL SFC, STB & 4-pt brace, 03 Cobra deep dish

2004 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
2006 Volvo S60R AWD Turbo
Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #28

Just an FYI, but Home Depot (at least my store did) put the LG DLE2301R and WM2301HR on clearance. They were retail $899, and then on clearance for $797, but yesterday they dropped to $224.03. I was able to pick up the dryer because that's all we had, but this is a steal. I'd suggest going to Home Depot and seeing if they have one or both in stock. It's a discontinued model that cannot be ordered any longer, so if they don't have it you're out of luck. Anyway, I just figured specs/longevity ain't that big a deal when you can get a nice front loader for $224.

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDriver View Post
The LG front load washer has a magnet built into the door where you can leave it open but it doesn't swing wide. It keeps it "open" while being "closed." Yes, you can develop mold in a front loader if you're a lazy piece of #### who never cleans anything. It's as easy as wiping out the rubber door seal with a 5:1 mixture of bleach and water and a clean rag.
What next? I have to clean my dishwasher? I've never had an issue with a top loader getting mold. Ever. And I can stop a load in the middle, add something, put it on an extra spin cycle, all kinds of nifty things in a machine that isn't the size of a F250.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
Corral Charter Member

Just an update...

(mmeans - you'll be pleased w/ the selection)

After comparing numerous washer/dryer combos (price, features, etc), reading tons of different retail sites and all sorts of user/customer reviews that we could find - we opted to go with Samsung front loaders. The Samsung units had the highest overall reviews out of any washer/dryer combo out there.

The Washer had a 4.5 star rating out of 5 and the Dryer had a 4.0 star rating out of 5. The ratings were pretty much the same across the board w/ regards to the units and what other consumers were saying on many appliance retail sites as well. Of course when reading any online reviews, you have to weed out the total retards who post ridiculous reviews - which are the same people that can't even tie their own shoes... LMAO. The consumer reviews on Samsung's main site were also all pretty positive as well.

We purchased from Lowes and they are also currently running a 10%-15% off special on certain appliances, so we were able to get a better deal than what most other retail outlets were offering for the same (or similar) units. Also due to the Washer being rated as an Energy Star appliance, we will also be getting a $50.00 rebate - cool, because any money back in your pocket is good.

Samsung Washer Model # WF210ANW:
Shop Samsung 3.5 Cu. Ft. Front-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR at Lowes.com

Samsung Dryer (gas) Model # DV210AGW:
Shop Samsung 7.3 Cu. Ft. Gas Dryer (White) at Lowes.com

Samsung's washer & dryers were also rated highest in customer satisfaction by JD Powers & Associates for 2 years running, so, it seems that the decision is a good one.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances...b2c_typ_cd=B2C

~~~

Thanks for all the responses - hopefully the thread will be beneficial to others who may have the same question in the future... LOL.

Oh, I will say this after shopping around - I cannot believe that some washers & dryers are in excess of $1,100 - $1,400 EACH!

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 05-25-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #31

My dryer was cheaper. Seriously though, congrats. A nice washer and dryer makes a difference. Most people dont think so, but it really does.

Go read my last post up there ^^^

EDIT: Just found out its rated 4.9/5 stars too.

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #32
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
Nice choice. We've had this Samsung frontloader washer since last November and we really like it. At the time we bought, Sears had the cheapest price. We also did the energy star rebates. Both the feds and Michigan had a rebates.
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder V8 - no turbo
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #33
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89Stang View Post
We also did the energy star rebates. Both the feds and Michigan had a rebates.
Chris -

Yea, NJ has the ES rebate of $50.00 for the washer (dryer does not qualify since it's gas). The Fed rebate you refer to, are you referring to the Fed Tax Credit for qualified ES appliances - or is there another actual cash back rebate I'm missing? I did go to these links below and only saw mention of the Fed tax credit:

ENERGY STAR and the Tax Credit : ENERGY STAR
Department of Energy - Tax Breaks
http://www.energysavers.gov/financial/70020.html

(Note to others - In this link, you can input your ZIP to see if your State has any qualifying ES appliance rebates and the amounts of those rebates):ENERGY STAR

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 05-25-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #34

I must be invisible. LOL

Quote:
FD wins.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
Corral Charter Member

I love my Samsung dryer. I just wish I sprang for the remote timer.

Michael Means
Sponsored Links
Advertisement