does undercoating stop rust? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (4)

does undercoating stop rust?

My dad just bought a used truck '01 ranger that has some rust on the underside and a small area on the bottom of the door. Will undercoating stop it from going any farther, or is there something you know about that will stop it?
thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (0)

It will slow it down, rust never sleeps. POR 15 may be better, or Naval Jelly first then zinc oxide primer followed by paint then undercoating.

Michael Means
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

Once the rust has settled into the body seams the only option is an oil spray. Undercoating over rust will make it worse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (23)

Undercoating isnt worth a crap except to reduce road noise. Por 15 is your best bet for a protectant, there are other brands out there as well if you want something different.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (54)

Undercoating is a crock of ####.

Every vehicle that I have seen with "undercoating" and "rust prevention" are all rusted to ####.

Usually all that stuff does is trap the moisture and MAKE rust.
2001 Mustang GT Bullitt (terminated) #2793
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post
It will slow it down, rust never sleeps. POR 15 may be better, or Naval Jelly first then zinc oxide primer followed by paint then undercoating.

Michael Means
+1. It has to be coated from the get-go to pe particularly effective. I had an 87 Tbird that was Rusty Jonesed and that chit was rust free.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Captain Chaos

The analogy that comes to mind is putting Sunblock on a sunburn.
— Calvin
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #8

There are rust converters like Eastwood's sells:

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutio...converter.html
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Corral Charter Member

I had a line truck out of PA. It had 250K on it when I bought it and it was treated for rust, Rusty-Jones competitor, Zeibart. It still had a great body at 400K when the 400M gave up.

Michael Means
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

I use a product called Rust-Mort that converts the rust, then I POR15 if its a frame, or prime and paint if its a body panel.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorfox View Post
Undercoating is a crock of ####.

Every vehicle that I have seen with "undercoating" and "rust prevention" are all rusted to ####.

Usually all that stuff does is trap the moisture and MAKE rust.
This. My 63 Nova is rotted, it has undercoat on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

The oil spray type products work the best imo.

My 89 would have likely become a rust bucket years ago without it and I haven't oil sprayed it for several years now and it's always winter driven in Canada.

The underside is black from all the previous applications.
No sign of rust that I can see.

Heres a Canadian company that's one of the best out there.
http://www.krown.com/#default
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims88 View Post
Once the rust has settled into the body seams the only option is an oil spray. Undercoating over rust will make it worse.
What the Canadian guys said.

Oil spray is the best, but you won't get that on this side of the border.

Undercoating works if done properly before the vehicle has seen any road duty or gotten wet. Most undercoatings will harden and crack after a while, making them virtually worthless after that.

Once the rust has started, POR15.
Isaiah 26:10 Though grace is shown to the wicked, they do not learn righteousness; even in a land of uprightness they go on doing evil and regard not the majesty of the Lord.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Oil spray is the best, but you won't get that on this side of the border.
Tranny fluid cut with WD-40 works just as well. Use a pump style garden sprayer with a wand to get into the door panels. It does smell for a while though. The stuff the commercial guys use doesn't smell at all.

Don't spray it on the exhaust.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Tranny fluid cut with WD-40 works just as well. Use a pump style garden sprayer with a wand to get into the door panels. It does smell for a while though. The stuff the commercial guys use doesn't smell at all.

I use bar and chain oil mixed with clear coat. Looks great when done.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (2)

When using an undercoat make sure the stuff contains asphalt.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (3)

undercoat only works to prevent rust if the area sprayed has no rust to begin with. Undercoat over rust makes it worse. Rust needs oxygen to oxidize, so the key to products like por-15 is that they dont let air in...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossnine View Post
I use a product called Rust-Mort that converts the rust, then I POR15 if its a frame, or prime and paint if its a body panel.
POR15 is actually supposed to adhere better if you leave the (not loose) rust in place. I did their 3-step process to a machete which I routinely use during the summer months at my folks' cabin for gathering firewood and its held up extremely well over the course of about 5 years. Literally the only place where the POR15 has come off is where I have used a bastard file (right along the edge) to sharpen it a couple times!

1996 Mustang GT 5spd - PI Cams, Bassani OR X pipe, Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers, C&L plenum with 75mm TB, K&N FIPK, PIAA 1700X foglamps.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Tranny fluid ....

Reminds me of when I lived in Ont. One of the guys I worked with told me about a job he had in college, it was an electronics service/tech/repair job in Toronto. They had an old van with a big V8 in it that he never drove, except for one time when the one he usually drove was in the shop. His boss told him "just ignore the people waving at you, get a lot of that with this van". He did too. Said he came to a stop light, and someone yelled "your van is on fire". Turns out the tranny had a pretty good leak, and it would drip onto one of the cats and there would be very visible flames. He was really pissed at his boss for not telling him about that when he got back.
Isaiah 26:10 Though grace is shown to the wicked, they do not learn righteousness; even in a land of uprightness they go on doing evil and regard not the majesty of the Lord.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #20

Trader Feedback: (37)

Undercoating = Rust promoter
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #21
Blame Canada!!!!!! I FAP for CANADA!

Trader Feedback: (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Reminds me of when I lived in Ont. One of the guys I worked with told me about a job he had in college, it was an electronics service/tech/repair job in Toronto. They had an old van with a big V8 in it that he never drove, except for one time when the one he usually drove was in the shop. His boss told him "just ignore the people waving at you, get a lot of that with this van". He did too. Said he came to a stop light, and someone yelled "your van is on fire". Turns out the tranny had a pretty good leak, and it would drip onto one of the cats and there would be very visible flames. He was really pissed at his boss for not telling him about that when he got back.
I would die laughing!

Canada loves me this I know, Cause the "Don" tells me so! Tumbleweeds we sell all day long, Ghost towns are coming so stay strong!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
The analogy that comes to mind is putting Sunblock on a sunburn.
Yeah^^^
Non Elite Member #1
1990 SSP
Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #23

Trader Feedback: (4)

POR-15.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman308 View Post
I would die laughing!
It was good humor. There was actually a bit more to the story, like the leak varied with speed, and keeping the van over 60 or 70 on the freeway because it was fast enough to keep the flames from doing any serious damage. But I don't recall all the details now. It was 20 years ago that I worked with him.

Same guy had a strategy for dates. Don't recall the exact amount anymore, but somewhere north of $75-125 spent on the night would guarantee getting laid. I think the price on Younge St. was a bit less at the time, but to each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement