How do I remove concrete sealant without damaging stained concrete underneath. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

How do I remove concrete sealant without damaging stained concrete underneath.

So the back story is I poured a patio with the mixed in stain. Then after waiting the appropriate time I decided to seal it. I started with Behr low gloss concrete sealant which turned the stained concrete to almost a plain grey color. Basically it went on looking like good things were going to happen, but then as it dried it got milkier and milkier.

So on try number two I went to Ace and got a gallon of their laytex acrylic sealant. I put a layer of that on and decided while the overall outcome was not exactly what I wanted (still a lighter color than expected) I was happy enough to proceed. So I finished off that gallon and dipped into the five gallon can of the same stuff that I had purchased from an Ace closer to home. That batch yielded a milky finish as well. So basically I ended up with three different color patches on my patio.

Now I’m stuck with the idea of blowing all this stuff off and starting from scratch. The power washer seems to be doing a fine job of blowing off the Behr covered portion and the spot that I spilled gasoline on while filling up the power washer came off like a dream. However, the Ace stuff is holding tight with the power washer and a small spot where I figured what the hell and put some gas on it seeing if it would work. No luck. So here is the question

What the hell do I put on the Ace acrylic laytex sealant to get it off without damaging the concrete, or jacking up the stain?
#7 of the special Member club
1968 GT500KR
1990 Mustang GT All the usual goodies, would have a supercharger if my wife didn't have a wedding ring.
2006 Torch Red GT. KB 2.6L, and MSD COP's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Wow. I would try a small test area with paint stripper. If it works, wait for a super humid evening and roll it on, wait half an hour or so and blast it off. I can't imagine the stain being drawn out of the concrete.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

I haven't seen much that lacquer thinner wouldn't dissolve.

Solvent does need to soak in though, it's not just spill some gas on it and up it comes.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (27)

There are special floor / concrete sealer strippers. Look around for a local janitorial supply company. From what you posted it sounds like one of 2 things, either the sealer was put on wet concrete, or you are getting too much moisture from under the slab. If you can get the sealer off the concrete I would recommend a "breathable" sealer. CSS makes an excellent product. If you need more info. on what to use and what not to for both stripping and sealing email my friend Bruce Info@PeakFloorSolutions.com tell him I sent you and he should be able to help.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, another guy on a different site mentioned using diluted Muratic acid. I think I'll give that a shot in test phase number two since I already have a couple gallons in the garage.
1968 GT500KR
1990 Mustang GT All the usual goodies, would have a supercharger if my wife didn't have a wedding ring.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowRacer View Post
Thanks for the info, another guy on a different site mentioned using diluted Muratic acid. I think I'll give that a shot in test phase number two since I already have a couple gallons in the garage.
Be careful with that if you don't dilute it enough you basically take the smooth surface and turn it into something very porous. I wouldn't go any lighter than 1:8
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #7

Muriatic acid is what is recommended for removing the sealant on a garage floor so that epoxy can be put down.

Some people also use a diamond grinder to remove it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #8

Try some detergent with a scrub brush. I used some to get oil up from the f'n FedUp truck and it's lighter in those spots. This was acrylic based sealer.

Jason
95 Cobra #2604 Crystal White 271 HP 331TQ Lookin' for more HP
GT-40 Y's, Crane cam, BBK LT's, 3.73's, Bullit suspension package and QH tuned by me.
02 F250 PSD SC LB 4x4 DP Tuner 300 HP 600TQ
Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #9

If the concrete color was added into the mixer (preferred method), which it sounds like in your case, you won't have to worry about any color lifting.

Sometimes contractors add color on the surface because redi mix companies charge an extra clean-out fee for adding it to the batch. In these cases the color is not mixed through and you could ware through to non-colored concrete.

A "milky" sealant finish could be caused by moisture retained in the slab. How long did you wait to seal it? Was it a wet load?? Post up some pics...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #10

So far I think the milky color is from putting too much sealant down. The first test had a roller that was different that the others. The load was a bit wet, but nothing too wet. I've waited three months, and doubt it is water in the slab. But who knows the Muratic acid did nothing except in a less than diluted form 4.5cups:5gals. It started to take it up but where the coating was uneven like where the roller overlapped it did little. I had a couple spots where it started to etch the concrete so I ceased that operation. I may hit it again with a light coat and then try some powdered detergent and the power washer on another section. Mainly right now I'm going to let nature run its course and hit it after the winter instead of F'in up my patio with different ideas.
1968 GT500KR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement