are torpedo heaters safe for garage use?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

are torpedo heaters safe for garage use??

are torpedo heaters safe in a garage??

thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

When I was working construction we would set up one near the door and keep it slightly opened so the garage would vent. Don't know how necesary that was but better safe then sorry. Did a hell of a job keeping it toasty in there.

Proudly supporting gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

That's all i use, the newer ones are far cleaner then the older ones.
94 gt auto becontrolls.com stand alone tranny computer,3000 stall,trannsgo shift kit,3.90s,31 moser axles, qa1 k-member,kb frame ties,mega bite lowers,comp extreme 270-276 dur .544 lift,#24 injecters,pro-m bullit meter,mac cai,pih kit,and all the little bolt ons
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

I crack both doors with mine. It pulls fresh air in one, and I point it toward the other on the far side of the garage...

However, mine needs a rebuild kit... After 23 years, it's having issues staying fired. Needs a new nozzle and fuel/air filter kit.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

heater

I was always told that it depends on the fuel that was used. If you burn diesel then you would want some ventilation, but if you used kerosene then it wasn't that important. I was under the impression that these two fuels weren't that different in composition. Maybe they are.

My shop is 30'x40' and I can heat mine to 70 deg. from about 40 deg. in 15 minutes and won't have to use it again for 2 hours. I burn diesel in mine. I think it's 150,000 BTU.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #6

I burn diesel and barely smell anything when running mine. I don't crack a door or anything but my garage isn't the best sealed building anyway.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

fine for garage use.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #8

after about an hours use the fumes from the spent kerosene starts to irritate my eyes. i would be interested to see how well the new ones work (propane) but they are a little spendy.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (86)

I use my 60,000 btu unit hooked into a digital thermostat to keep the garage @ 50 all winter. I run clear kero in it, and have not had a problem so far. my garage is 22x22 and is insulated... so yes, I believe they are safe for indoor use.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
I burn diesel and barely smell anything when running mine. I don't crack a door or anything but my garage isn't the best sealed building anyway.
I get what you are saying, but I don't want people to read this and get the wrong idea. Some times it is the stuff you can not smell that gets you the worse. However, as others have said it is all in the fuel you use. I would recommend doing a little research on the fuel of choice before you decide whether or not to vent. When in doubt I would vent just to be safe. J

Proudly supporting gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

I use a Reddy Heater which is very similar to this new one found at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It's uses propane heat and I've never had an issue w/ odors, fumes or any other problems using it in an enclosed space, such as a 2 car garage... It burns really clean and it will definitely get you warm - warm enough that you may have to shut it off for a couple of hours. Just use your BBQ proane tank if you have one... if not, you can buy the propane at HD or Lowes too.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (64)

I use a Dayton 180,000 BTU unit, burning ORD. It gets the garage up to about 90 degrees in 30 minutes and stays warm in there for about 3 hours. Keep in mind this is a well insulated oversized 2 car (3 cars fit easily with tons of room to work). I'd only get concerned if you start getting headaches or feeling groggy in the garage.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
my local gas station ran outta kero, so I used diesel in a pinch, once... good lord, that was horrible.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
U.S. Army Active Duty

They melt ACU's if you are infront of one too long. lol

They are as safe as any other if you keep stuff away from them that shouldn't be there and the off gases away.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #15

It is absolutely NOT safe to work in an enclosed space with these heaters. It will cause permanent brain damage from repeated exposure. People die from this every year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (16)

Carbon monoxide is what you have to be careful with........the gas produced when fuels are burned.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Myers View Post
I was always told that it depends on the fuel that was used. If you burn diesel then you would want some ventilation, but if you used kerosene then it wasn't that important. I was under the impression that these two fuels weren't that different in composition. Maybe they are.
They are similar. Diesel is more energy dense and harder to burn completely. Kerosene works in the same places diesel will if you need a cleaner burn or to have an easier time running an engine in cold weather.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims88 View Post
It is absolutely NOT safe to work in an enclosed space with these heaters. It will cause permanent brain damage from repeated exposure. People die from this every year.

I don't know about any dain bramage but I get that tired feeling after several hours of running mine/working in the garage.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
I use a Reddy Heater which is very similar to this new one found at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It's uses propane heat and I've never had an issue w/ odors, fumes or any other problems using it in an enclosed space, such as a 2 car garage... It burns really clean and it will definitely get you warm - warm enough that you may have to shut it off for a couple of hours. Just use your BBQ proane tank if you have one... if not, you can buy the propane at HD or Lowes too.
I'm thinking of just replacing mine since it needs about $75 in parts... The only thing is a buddy has 20 gallons of Jet A for me.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (9)

my friend almost died from one.

it sprung a leak while he was working under his car, and burned the whole garage up, and his race car. and to add insult to injury his garage is attached to his house. everything was damaged from either smoke or direct heat.

if you want a good indoor heater, look up an amish fireplace..seriously. very, very efficient and very safe
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #21

Seriously, why is it so hard for people to understand the difference between "then" and "than"? They are two seperate words that have two seperate meanings. It's really starting to irritate me how many idiots are out there who graduated high school and can't use these words correctly.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri View Post
Seriously, why is it so hard for people to understand the difference between "then" and "than"? They are two seperate words that have two seperate meanings. It's really starting to irritate me how many idiots are out there who graduated high school and can't use these words correctly.
Add to that the people who speak of "4:10" gear ratios, "lb/ft" of torque, "I could care less," and failure to correctly spell simple words like "separate."
Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #23
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Your retarded!

Man it pained me to type that.
— Calvin
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #24
U.S. Army Active Duty

Quote:
Then your on the wrong site.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #25

Quote:

who gives a F ----I had a question about a heater
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (4)

ive been using bullit heaters in my garage for years, used to use a kerosene one. Now i have a couple propane units. The propane ones burn pretty clean and dont give me a headache like the old kero one did
Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #27

Quote:
http://www.podcastingnews.com/conten...-alone-guy.jpg
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #28
Captain Chaos

— Calvin
Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #29

The other thing about bullet heaters is that they create moisture on everything in the garage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #30

Trader Feedback: (38)

no probs here.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #31

Quote:
The other thing about bullet heaters is that they create moisture on everything in the garage.
Since when?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
Since when?
Since forever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #33

Trader Feedback: (4)

Quote:
LOL at this statement
Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger8995 View Post
LOL at this statement
Don't make fun of his sound Canuck logic.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #35

Ummm, if you burn a kerosene heater one of the byproducts is moisture. This is nothing new. Everything in the shop will be dripping with water after an hour or so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement