'95 too light to use as tow vehicle? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #141

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian47 View Post
Guess I'm not enough of a redneck for this site?

Towing isn't so much a function of getting the trailer moving, it's more for handeling it, and STOPPING it. What kind of brakes does a Ranchero have???
Depends on what you upgrade too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #142

Trader Feedback: (2)

I always forget to post this picture. That's a Crew Cab longbed 1 ton 4x4 454 chevy on that trailer.

This is how the guy picked it up when he bought it from me. And towed it 40 miles home. I never heard back from the guy I wonder if he made it.

Non Elite Member #1
1990 SSP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #143

Trader Feedback: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_fox View Post
Jeepman...love the blue of that vert...

sohcv8gt... It's good to see your hauling setup intact... I cringe every time i see the accident pics...

I've never NOT had a pickup at my house and don't imagine the day I wont. I'll tell you what isn't sitting in my driveway though, a motorhome... I'll take a yellow 78 toyota pickup ( my first ) over a motorhome... lol
Thanks! I miss that vert!!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #144

Trader Feedback: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibileaux View Post
That Explorer looks good with the tow. If things don't work out with the Ranchero thing, may go that direction.????
Told ya... Explorers work fine.... it was a 5.0 one.. that helps alot.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #145

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
sohcv8gt... It's good to see your hauling setup intact... I cringe every time i see the accident pics...
Hah..

But that's an 07 F150 and my Stang after repairs from the accident in April of 07.... The 02 F150 was totalled...

And since you mentioned the Cringe pic... R.I.P... it saved my azz..

M@
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #146

Trader Feedback: (1)

I know, it just sucks, and what influences the cringe is that it happened right after you finished your car and were tugging it behind you... talk about timing...
I'm noticing a trend!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #147

Quote:
I know, it just sucks, and what influences the cringe is that it happened right after you finished your car and were tugging it behind you... talk about timing...
Yep.. funny how things work in life sometimes.... not only did I have a close call.. I also had to empty my wallet as a result.. All good now.. poor car hasn't been on the track in forever..but it's ready...and tuned.. I'll hit the track this year finally again... Definitely a feeling I miss and can't wait to experience again.

Watch out for poorly driven mini vans...

M@
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #148
I'm NOT Ed!

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stangcoupes View Post
a ford explodeit is not a bad ideal,but get one with a stick shift cause their autotrannys are not that strong.
In the 4.0's,yes. In the 5.0's,not so much. The 4R70W in the V8 Explorers are tough transmissions,they used them in the first gen Lightnings,and in the regular F-150/250's as well. If he went with a 5 speed Explorer,it would have to be the 2 door sport version,as the 4 doors were never available with a 5 speed.
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #149

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehardy1971 View Post
In the 4.0's,yes. In the 5.0's,not so much. The 4R70W in the V8 Explorers are tough transmissions,they used them in the first gen Lightnings,and in the regular F-150/250's as well. If he went with a 5 speed Explorer,it would have to be the 2 door sport version,as the 4 doors were never available with a 5 speed.
While the 4R70W trans is a beefy unit, more than capable of a 5500lb trailer combo in an Explorer, it wasnt in the GEN1 Lightinings. The L's got the E4OD trans, which is the heavy duty trans used behind the the diesels and such. The E4OD is now the 4R100. The 4R70W got its origination from the AOD and AODE.

The SOHC 4.0 Explorers in 2 and 4 door versions did get a 5speed(4R55E I believe) starting in 2000 I think. I dont know how capable the 5 speed is though.

The newer Explorers 2003 thru 2005(not sports) got a 5 speed behind the 4.6, and the 2006 and up 4.6 Explorers have a 6speed. Mine is tow rated @ 6700lbs. I dont know what the V8 5 and 6 speeds originate from, but I know my trans looks pretty beefy.

LAP

1989 5.8 Vortech Coupe, 1998 V8 Explorer, 2005 6.0 Eddie Bauer Excursion, 2006 Explorer Limited V8
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #150

Trader Feedback: (6)

JoeT, imagine if that combo had to come to a quick stop. I have had a Mustang behind an F150 and jammed on the brakes, it isn't fun times. I can only imagine trying to stop a 7000 lb trailer combo with that.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #151

If you are looking for an early 70's car as a tow vehicle, then my car I have forsale would be perfect for you.
It is a 1973 Thunderbird.
Has a 460, C6 tranny, and a 9" rear.
It is a full frame car, has truck size tires on it, and has low miles to boot(only 53,xxx)...

lemme know if you're interested.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #152

sohcv8gt.. That reminds me of the time I was pulling my 91 lx home from New England Dragway when I went through the tunnel in Boston I hit a bump and one of the tie down's came off. I was watching the car rock in my mirror's. Thank god nothing happend, it was right after I finished the car too. There are not too many places to pull over on that stretch of highway, I had to check my draw's when I could finally pull over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
That's right, I prefer Jeep (not the gay new ones), John Deere, and the United States Constitution. You can put that in your bong and smoke it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #153
I'm NOT Ed!

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPS 5.0LX View Post
While the 4R70W trans is a beefy unit, more than capable of a 5500lb trailer combo in an Explorer, it wasnt in the GEN1 Lightinings. The L's got the E4OD trans, which is the heavy duty trans used behind the the diesels and such. The E4OD is now the 4R100. The 4R70W got its origination from the AOD and AODE.

The SOHC 4.0 Explorers in 2 and 4 door versions did get a 5speed(4R55E I believe) starting in 2000 I think. I dont know how capable the 5 speed is though.

The newer Explorers 2003 thru 2005(not sports) got a 5 speed behind the 4.6, and the 2006 and up 4.6 Explorers have a 6speed. Mine is tow rated @ 6700lbs. I dont know what the V8 5 and 6 speeds originate from, but I know my trans looks pretty beefy.

LAP
I stand corrected. I had a brainfart on the 4R70W. I was'nt aware of the 5 speed deal on the 2000 up models. Ours is a '96,which is where I was basing that info from.
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBird View Post
If you are looking for an early 70's car as a tow vehicle, then my car I have forsale would be perfect for you.
It is a 1973 Thunderbird.
Has a 460, C6 tranny, and a 9" rear.
It is a full frame car, has truck size tires on it, and has low miles to boot(only 53,xxx)...

lemme know if you're interested.
That is awesome!

kingcars would pimp that, he's a tbird guy. if he could see over the dashboard...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #155
Commander of the Bland Army

He'd need about 6 bricks just to reach the door handle.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPS 5.0LX View Post

LAP

The 2dr and 4dr 4.0L (OHV and SOHC) Explorers got the 5R55E 5spd auto starting in '97. The 2dr Sport kept using that trans through '03. The 4R44E / 4R55E / 5R44E / 5R55E were based on the A4LD, which isn't a very strong trans.

ibileaux,

The 5R55E will tow fairly heavy loads, but won't last long doing so. I've towed over 6k lbs with my '01 Sport a few times, and 3-4k all the time. But also have had to rebuild the trans 3 times due to the constant abuse I give it. I don't think I'd tow a car very far with it unless the car ran and I could use it to get home. If you get a V6 Explorer, I'd recommend a shift improvement kit and an aftermarket flash tuner to adjust shift pressures....the tuner can make a decent increase in power too. Also, a heavy duty trans cooler and external filter kit will help the trans last longer.

Another thing worth noting...the 2dr Sports had wimpy rear suspensions. The pre-'01 mono-leaf rear springs couldn't handle much weight, and sag on their own over time. The '01+ Sports had multi-leaf rear springs that were a slight improvement for towing/carrying stuff, but still tend to sag. I wouldn't use either type without some upgrades. The multi-leaf can be easily upgraded with an add-a-leaf kit. The mono-leaf cannot accept an add-a-leaf, so has to be replaced with a multi-leaf setup. The 4dr springs bolt right in too.

Look around on www.explorerforum.com/forums for any other info you need.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
That is awesome!

kingcars would pimp that, he's a tbird guy. if he could see over the dashboard...
thanks man...it gets its looks.
One of these days, it will get new paint and a top...just got to get done with the 95 bird first...
here are some more pics...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KStangGT View Post
The 2dr and 4dr 4.0L (OHV and SOHC) Explorers got the 5R55E 5spd auto starting in '97. The 2dr Sport kept using that trans through '03. The 4R44E / 4R55E / 5R44E / 5R55E were based on the A4LD, which isn't a very strong trans.

ibileaux,

The 5R55E will tow fairly heavy loads, but won't last long doing so. I've towed over 6k lbs with my '01 Sport a few times, and 3-4k all the time. But also have had to rebuild the trans 3 times due to the constant abuse I give it. I don't think I'd tow a car very far with it unless the car ran and I could use it to get home. If you get a V6 Explorer, I'd recommend a shift improvement kit and an aftermarket flash tuner to adjust shift pressures....the tuner can make a decent increase in power too. Also, a heavy duty trans cooler and external filter kit will help the trans last longer.

Another thing worth noting...the 2dr Sports had wimpy rear suspensions. The pre-'01 mono-leaf rear springs couldn't handle much weight, and sag on their own over time. The '01+ Sports had multi-leaf rear springs that were a slight improvement for towing/carrying stuff, but still tend to sag. I wouldn't use either type without some upgrades. The multi-leaf can be easily upgraded with an add-a-leaf kit. The mono-leaf cannot accept an add-a-leaf, so has to be replaced with a multi-leaf setup. The 4dr springs bolt right in too.

Look around on www.explorerforum.com/forums for any other info you need.
Mike,
Thanks for all the good info. I think I'd be in the same boat if I tried to tow a trailer and Mustang using the Sports, although I like that body style better then the 4 door.
I think I'm going to go to west Texas. They have a few '72 to '79 Ranchero's for sale. That's going to be my next purnchase. Even if it doesn't pan out as a tow vehicle.
I'm saving all the info you sent in case I do go with a 4 door Explorer.
Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #159

Hay 95BadBird,
Nice pics of your '73 Bird. Would like to see the '95. That is the body style that rocks...
The '70's Birds were real cruisers. Plush +
Thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #160

[QUOTE=Y2KStangGT;8759236]The 2dr and 4dr 4.0L (OHV and SOHC) Explorers got the 5R55E 5spd auto starting in '97. The 2dr Sport kept using that trans through '03. The 4R44E / 4R55E / 5R44E / 5R55E were based on the A4LD, which isn't a very strong trans.

Way to many numbers and names to keep track of with the 5 and 6 speed trans. Between my family, friends and me we have or have had all the versions of Explorers mentioned in this thread, I just didnt know the years all the trans were used.

I put air bags on my 98' just to keep it level, all the early Explorers seem to get that rear sag, the bags would definately help if used for towing, even though I dont tow much with mine.

LAP

1989 5.8 Vortech Coupe, 1998 V8 Explorer, 2005 6.0 Eddie Bauer Excursion, 2006 Explorer Limited V8
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #161

Quote:
Hay 95BadBird,
Nice pics of your '73 Bird. Would like to see the '95. That is the body style that rocks...
The '70's Birds were real cruisers. Plush +
Thanks.
Thanks...its a fun car.

And thanks on the 95 as well....here are some pics of it at my last track outing....

and how she sits now a year later...

the car is getting all the unibody seams welded, an 8 point roll bar, a smoothed engine bay, and a little HCI on the stock short block(351w)...car should be around 2900 race weight.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #162

Hay 95BadBird,
Thanks for the pics. Beautiful car....Great lines on that '95.
When I get ready to do a Bird, I'm going to contact you and pick your brain!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #163

I know that if towing in Canada or the US with a truck there are limits and you can not exceed the GVWC of your vehicle which is the total weight of your truck and trailer. I also know that there are no such regulations when towing with a car which is why a few fellows around town use old Caddys, Lincolns and Chryslers to tow with and they run all thru the States. Never have to hit a weigh station and no limits on the weight they are towing.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play400 View Post
I know that if towing in Canada or the US with a truck there are limits and you can not exceed the GVWC of your vehicle which is the total weight of your truck and trailer. I also know that there are no such regulations when towing with a car which is why a few fellows around town use old Caddys, Lincolns and Chryslers to tow with and they run all thru the States. Never have to hit a weigh station and no limits on the weight they are towing.
I'm asking this question because I don't know. Please don't anyone get bent out of shape.....
When towing with a pickup, 2 door, extended cab, 4 door, whatever, are you expected to stop at weigh stations?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #165

Quote:
I'm asking this question because I don't know. Please don't anyone get bent out of shape.....
When towing with a pickup, 2 door, extended cab, 4 door, whatever, are you expected to stop at weigh stations?
I've never stopped at a weigh station towing anything.

And just for reference... there are some really hillbilly ass trucks up in this thread. Give me a nice clean black F150 and I'll be satisified. Good lord.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5slow View Post
I've never stopped at a weigh station towing anything.

And just for reference... there are some really hillbilly ass trucks up in this thread. Give me a nice clean black F150 and I'll be satisified. Good lord.
Happy for you.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #167

Quote:
Hay 95BadBird,
Thanks for the pics. Beautiful car....Great lines on that '95.
When I get ready to do a Bird, I'm going to contact you and pick your brain!
hey thanks man..and yeah, just lemme know.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #168

Around here all the weigh station's say all commercial vehicles must enter (or something like that). So if you have commercial plates you are suppost to stop at them, but they are just looking for the big rig's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
That's right, I prefer Jeep (not the gay new ones), John Deere, and the United States Constitution. You can put that in your bong and smoke it.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #169

ibileaux have you looked at/thought about an excursion or suburban possibly if you are that against the idea of a truck. That way you get truck like towing without the so called redneck you speak of.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #170

Quote:
No but you can be order to 1 by a State Trouper, Mountie, cop etc if he suspects you are overloaded. Every spring they set up a few check stops around town and check the people towing to see if they are properly rated. Huge fine.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0fox View Post
ibileaux have you looked at/thought about an excursion or suburban possibly if you are that against the idea of a truck. That way you get truck like towing without the so called redneck you speak of.
Thanks for the post. I just don't like trucks, vans or suvs. Before most of you guys were born, we didn't have all those extended cabs or 4 door trucks, suvs and the such to do any towing.
We used Buick Wildcats, 442s, Bonnivilles and some used light weight 2 door trucks.
And please go back and read my posts, I don't believe I said anything about rednecks or hillbillies.
Still leaning towards '72 Ranchero GT
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #172

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
And please go back and read my posts, I don't believe I said anything about rednecks or hillbillies.
you IMPLIED.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #173

Trader Feedback: (38)

omg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement