Anti-Theft Devices . . . my grill was stolen. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Anti-Theft Devices . . . my grill was stolen.

Stealing a grill from a Texan is like cattle-rustling, and offenders should be shot.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the offenders (and that's probably a good thing since I now live in a criminals' rights state). Seems some ###### used some bolt cutters to cut the cable I had used to secure my grill and rolled it out to their truck and took off.

I'm going to be buying another grill, but I'm wondering how to secure it better. For one, I live in a townhouse and don't have a back fence, only a porch. I thought a huge chain might just get cut through again, so I'm posting here: Is there some kind of cheap sensor you can put on these things to track them if they've been stolen or some kind of serious deterrent?

I mean it's a grill, but I love grilling out and I don't want to keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking it is being stolen; peace of mind would be nice.

Thanks.

Chris
Gonna drive the beast 'till the wheels fall off... just replaced a bearing, doh!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Wow..

That's pretty low. Check the local craiglist and see if you happen to "Find" it for sale. I find it hard to believe someone would steal a grill because they were itching to cook some burgers.. most likely wanted some quick cash in this economy. With all the people out of work, doin crap like that is what low lifes would resort to to get by.

As far as security goes..... what about one of those big ass U Bolt style bicycle locks? There's no way in hell bolt cutters can handle that. The also make bicycle locks/chains that bolt cutters would have a very hard time with.

I searched amazon.com and found this:

Also... another deterrent would be to take parts of the grill off and put em in the house while you arent using it. Like putting the grate/grilling surface in a trash bag and stuffing it in the basement. It won't be much use to them if they have to go buy a 40-50 dollar grate at home depot.

Good luck!

Matt

Last edited by sohcv8gt; 03-22-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (59)

i would would go with a motion detector setup along with a lock like stated above. at least if some one tries to mess with your stuff and you are home you will hear the sensor. they also make some pretty cheap motion activated cameras with excellent microphones. just a couple ideas best of luck
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Here's the final antitheft solution:

A lot better chance of hearing this than the average wimpy alarm.
"For there is one thing we must never forget, the majority can never replace the man. And no more than a hundred empty heads make one wise man will an heroic decision arise from a hundred cowards."-A.H.

Last edited by ltdrifter; 03-22-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcv8gt View Post
Wow..

That's pretty low. Check the local craiglist and see if you happen to "Find" it for sale. I find it hard to believe someone would steal a grill because they were itching to cook some burgers.. most likely wanted some quick cash in this economy. With all the people out of work, doin crap like that is what low lifes would resort to to get by.

As far as security goes..... what about one of those big ass U Bolt style bicycle locks? There's no way in hell bolt cutters can handle that. The also make bicycle locks/chains that bolt cutters would have a very hard time with.

I searched amazon.com and found this:

Also... another deterrent would be to take parts of the grill off and put em in the house while you arent using it. Like putting the grate/grilling surface in a trash bag and stuffing it in the basement. It won't be much use to them if they have to go buy a 40-50 dollar grate at home depot.

Good luck!

Matt
Breaking down a grill and storing it all over the house would be a royal pain in the ass. It kind of negates the convenience factor if you have to reassemble it before you eat and if someone does steal it, you're left with a bunch of parts you can't use either.

I say get a dog.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
I'm NOT Ed!

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdrifter View Post
Here's the final antitheft solution:

A lot better chance of hearing this than the average wimpy alarm.
Claymore FTMFW!!!!!
I'm with dot,get a dog with a serious attitude problem,that will be the best deterrent.
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #7

x-10 sells a motion sensor, no longer have the barking dog unit that I have, but I'm sure one of their remote light units would alert you to someone trying to steal your stuff.http://www.x10.com/automation/ms14a_s.html I only have a carport and when I had my Corvette, I was concerned that someone slimeball would try to steal it.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Legalized Drug Dealer

Trader Feedback: (10)

2010 Performance White Mazda6 S GT
2011 Mustang GT Premium Red Candy Metallic 5.0 'vert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetstrip01 View Post
My first thought and I can't believe it took the corral this many posts. Thanks, bro.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

LoJack
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #11

Some C-4, a cap, a plunger switch, a power supply...... Even better if you could direct it to fire towards the front, and take out somebody's 'nads.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #12

attach the grill to a 120v AC source. Kinda like a electric fence. That should surprise the thieves.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (17)

anchor it to the ground with something and put up a security light or something
Old 03-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #14

Thanks. The dog idea is out--another mouth to feed and no back fence. A light may or may not work; the grill was stolen in the evening before it was even dark. Since I rent, I can't really do anything that will physically alter the back area.

I thought LoJack was for cars? I like the X-10 idea or some derivation. Plus the monster chain. So no bolt cutters can cut through it, huh? Nice.

Chris
Gonna drive the beast 'till the wheels fall off... just replaced a bearing, doh!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
Breaking down a grill and storing it all over the house would be a royal pain in the ass. It kind of negates the convenience factor if you have to reassemble it before you eat and if someone does steal it, you're left with a bunch of parts you can't use either.

I say get a dog.
Yup... I agree.. that's why I suggested just taking the grilling grate/surface inside. The thief can't cook anything without it or would have to spend money if he did steal the grill They are easy to remove/toss into a trash bag on most grills. Breaking anything else down would be a royal PITA but if this guys in an open style townhouse development, he's more subject to being victimized.

M@

Last edited by sohcv8gt; 03-22-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Yup... I agree.. that's why I suggested just taking the grilling grate/surface inside. The thief can't cook anything without it or would have to spend money if he did steal the grill They are easy to remove/toss into a trash bag on most grills. Breaking anything else down would be a royal PITA but if this guys in an open style townhouse development, he's more subject to being victimized.

M@
The people stealing the grill probably won't take the time to look and make sure the grate is in there (probably just assume it is). While it would be some consolation to know that it's useless to them, it still won't prevent the grill from being stolen.

My vote is for the big ass chain.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (26)

That sucks u have only a porch, maybe bolting the thing down will work?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriver99 View Post
My vote is for the big ass chain.
LOL... That's what I suggested in the first reply above along with takin the grate inside.... Hey.. I used to have a townhouse in Ashburn before movin to Reston... I lived near the sports pavilion....

M@
Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #19

Do you have enough yard to make ur own grill?
03 SV650S 4-sale
Old 03-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
LOL... That's what I suggested in the first reply above along with takin the grate inside.... Hey.. I used to have a townhouse in Ashburn before movin to Reston... I lived near the sports pavilion....

M@
I have a friend who just bought a townhouse over there. I'm currently living in an apartment on the corner of Claiborne and Broadlords but we're in the process of buying a house in Gainesville.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #21

Damn, a Grill? WTF? You must have had a sweet flippin grill for people to just up and snag it.
#7 of the special Member club
1968 GT500KR
1990 Mustang GT All the usual goodies, would have a supercharger if my wife didn't have a wedding ring.
2006 Torch Red GT. KB 2.6L, and MSD COP's
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowRacer View Post
Damn, a Grill? WTF? You must have had a sweet flippin grill for people to just up and snag it.
yeah no doubt. a grill is a necessity. I jsut hate thieves though. People will steal anything these days.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #23

Big ass chain
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #24

If you own that house, and a have any kind of a yard....Build your own. Nobody is gonna be able to walk away with a half ton grill. But thats just my idea...An example below. It doesn't have to be that fancy, but u get the idea.

http://www.chicagobrickoven.com/bric..._products.html

http://www.dpandassociates.net/aphot...arlottebar.htm
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #25

A $5000 outdoor kitchen in a place where someone will boost a $150 gas grill?

I don't get that at all.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #26

Quote:
A $5000 outdoor kitchen in a place where someone will boost a $150 gas grill?

I don't get that at all.
5K???? It doesn't have to be that fancy. Use concrete blocks, or whatever, I was just trying to make an example for something that will not be walked away with. Keep spending "$150" on grills that keep getting boosted. Just an idea, I was just trying to help the guy out, not get criticized for it.
03 SV650S 4-sale
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #27

Nobody's criticizing you, hey you posted the links.

He's just looking for a way to keep his stuff where it is, not buy new more expensive stuff.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #28

Trader Feedback: (29)

That does give me a good idea. Just put some cinder blacks on the base and fill them with quick-crete. That ####er won't be going anywhere.
1993 Coyote swap SSP Notch
Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #29

Like I said, tho, I rent and it's a townhouse so I can't do anything that will physically alter the patio. The grill was nice ($300), but it wasn't a Weber, so I dunno. I did find the little grease catch bowl out near the road where they it fell out while loading it up. Maybe I can just dream that hot grease will leak down on the propane bottle and blow them all up?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #30

Trader Feedback: (4)

Go to tractor supply and get a 110 volt electric fence charger, nuff said!

Make sure you don't have any gas leaks, LOL
'94 Lightning #2978 = SOLD
'77 F-150 RCLB 2wd 408 cleveland in the works
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #31

one of these for $30 until you get a place where your grill won't get stolen.

-Dalai Lama
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #32

No way.

Did you break in your new pit this weekend?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #33
Commander of the Bland Army

A concealed live 220V line hooked up to the grill at all times would be fine. Just make sure to add a switch to cut the power when you want to grill.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
No way.

Did you break in your new pit this weekend?
no went to dinner Saturday at like 6 for the F-I-L bday. Sunday, spent a lot of the day with some friends of the wife...

I'm still looking for my mancard.

-Dalai Lama
Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #35

How did someone manage to steal your teef wifout you noticing?
The arrogance on knife forums is completely out of proportion to those people's place in the food chain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement