I may single-handedly be responsible for the credit crunch: - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Legalized Drug Dealer

Trader Feedback: (10)

I may single-handedly be responsible for the credit crunch:

Anyone else send back random paper, newspaper, and junk mail in the prepaid envelopes that you get from credit card offers?

2010 Performance White Mazda6 S GT
2011 Mustang GT Premium Red Candy Metallic 5.0 'vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

No, but I will now! I wish I thought of things like that. I just get pissed at the junk mail and toss it into the garbage. I need to think "revenge". Yeah.

Camera, my ass, prepaid envelope.....hmmmm.....!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #3

thats a great idea im down
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

You bastard. I make a respectable $45k a year and you are the reason i can no longer buy a new mercedes. I curse your children and your children's children
Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
U.S. Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

Just don't get caught.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

Send a sheet after the old azz wipe; OK fold it over first, then send it.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #7

I just want what's due me. A Benz and a Rolex in every stocking. I hate ####ing American
Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
U.S. Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

American what?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #9

How can you get caught with no return address? Not that I'd really take a pic of my ass and mail it...although I hear DBA's mom likes...nah, I don't know her well enough.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Legalized Drug Dealer

Trader Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Horse View Post
How can you get caught with no return address? Not that I'd really take a pic of my ass and mail it...although I hear DBA's mom likes...nah, I don't know her well enough.
yeah, I make sure it can't be traced (not of my info is on it).

I am just doing my part to keep our USPS peeps employed.

2010 Performance White Mazda6 S GT
2011 Mustang GT Premium Red Candy Metallic 5.0 'vert
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

can you fill those prepaid postage envelopes w/ lead or something really heavy - and would it still be delivered, or would the post office charge the Company (receiver) the true postage...?
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #12

Try it, put about 5-6 wheel weights in the envelope and mail it.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (98)

I return everything to them that came in the stupid CC offer that does not have my info on it. Pre-paid envelopes FTW!

I like to save them up and send 8-10 at a time. Douche bags.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
can you fill those prepaid postage envelopes w/ lead or something really heavy - and would it still be delivered, or would the post office charge the Company (receiver) the true postage...?
Tape it to a box of bricks and drop it in the nearest drop box..... this has been posted before on here many times over the years lol.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/bulkmailer/

Last edited by rednotch; 12-18-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #15

Quote:

They pay based on the weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (29)

I get no junk mail here at all.
1993 Coyote swap SSP Notch
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (2)

I'd like to be doing that, but didn't think it was worth my time. I've been using it as fire starter material.

However, if it is true they pay by weight I might be inclined to save them up and cut envelope sized pieces of sheetmetal if I can really cost them some money for aggravating me.

I won't mail them lead though; that's too valuable to waste on scumbag CC companies.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #18
Resting Peacefully

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
yes, in fact you can use the envelope as a shipping label and send a brick. Post office has never not taken one from me when I drop it off.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #19

I do it with old engine parts, misc electronic junk, rocks, soup cans, roadkill.
Is kind of a demented hobby. They send me paper for the woodstove, I send them my garbage.
"For there is one thing we must never forget, the majority can never replace the man. And no more than a hundred empty heads make one wise man will an heroic decision arise from a hundred cowards."-A.H.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #20

Trader Feedback: (4)

I never really thought of this. I like it.

-Dalai Lama
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
I won't mail them lead though; that's too valuable to waste on scumbag CC companies.
True, and it may be considered a hazardous material in some states.
The arrogance on knife forums is completely out of proportion to those people's place in the food chain...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #22

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls
A free guide to reducing unwanted or intrusive advertising

Junk mail may seem as inevitable as death and taxes, but with a little patience there are effective ways to tackle the problem. This guide provides clear, simple and proven reduction techniques. About 20 minutes investment now will clear the junk for between two and five years.
General Techniques

Your name, address, and buying habits are a commodity that is regularly sold & traded on the open market. These days organizations you deal with virtually all sell your name unless you specifically ask them to stop. Here are some general techniques:

* Whenever you donate money, order a product or service, or fill out a warranty card, write in large letters, "Please do not sell my name or address". Most organizations will properly mark your name in the computer.
* Product warranty cards are are often used to collection information on your habits and income, for the sole purpose of targeting direct mail. They are not required in most situations - avoid sending them.
* On the telephone, ask "Please mark my account so that my name is not traded or sold to other companies".
* Your credit card company probably sells your name the most often -- keep reading for techniques to stop it.
* "Contests" where you fill in a little entry blank are almost always fishing expeditions for names. If you fill one out at a football game, for example, expect to get a catalog of football merchandise within a few months. Avoid these if you don't want the mail.
* Select a false middle name or initial for each charity or business you deal with. Keep track of which letter goes with which organization. You can also select a false road designator, "avenue, place, circle, street, highway, parkway, etc.". This step can be very revealing. Some guides recommend changing the spelling of your name, but this can lead to duplicate mailings.

To stop specific types of unwanted paper mail

The amount of paper junk mail sent each year in the USA is staggering -- some 4 million tons, nearly half of which is never opened. Even if you recycle there are still enormous environmental costs in terms of ink, energy to produce deliver and recycle the paper, recycling inefficiencies and loss of productive forest to create the high quality glossy paper much junk mail uses. The industry tries to "greenwash" themselves, but you probably won't be fooled. Badly targetted junk mail helps nobody, but the industry likes to keep pumping it out.

There is a lot you can do to reduce the cost to the environment and your own time:

* First class mail: Cross out the address and bar code, circle the first class postage and write "refused: return to sender". Drop in any mail box, it will be returned to the sender.
* Bulk mail: The post office throws away bulk mail it can't deliver, so returning it does no good. Bulk mail is the hardest to deal with because the USPS actively provides addresses, support and encouragement to mailers. However, if "address correction requested" is written on the label: circle "address correction requested" and treat like first class mail.
* Sexually Oriented Advertising (SOA):The only help you'll get from the Post Office in controlling junk mail is for explicit stuff. Fill out USPS forms 1500 if you wish this type of mail to stop. You define what you find to be explicit -- if that's an automobile parts catalog the post office won't disagree with you.
* Credit offers: The major credit agencies all sell aggregate credit information any bidder. Direct mail and credit companies generate mail based on demographics including zip code, income band and credit payment patterns. Stopping this is easy, you just need your address, former address within two years, and social security number. One call does it all for agencies Equifax, Trans Union, Experian and Innovis. Dial 1-888-5 OPT OUT (or 1-888-567-8688) 24 hours a day.
* Catalogs:
o Call the company's 800 number and have the label handy.
o Write your instructions on the mailing label and fax it to the company. Mark "ATTN: customer service".
o Tear off the label, write your instructions on it, and enclose in the postage-paid ordering envelope. Mark envelope "ATTN: customer service". This method is the least effective.
* AOL (America On-Line): You could pave the nation with the free discs these people send out, call 1-800-605-4297 (24 hours a day) to get off the list. Tell them your first name is "current", last name "resident".
* Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes: You can get the Clearinghouse to stop clogging your mailbox by contacting customer service at 1-800-645-9242 (8:30 am to 8:30 EST), sending a fax to 1-800-453-0272, mailing to 101 Channel Drive, Port Washington, NY 11050, or you can send email to pch@ant.net. PCH will remove any number of names from a specific address, but you have to list each name exactly and insist nicely.
* American Family Sweepstakes: Ed McMahon and Dick Clark will stop telling you "You have definitely won 11 million dollars (maybe) " if you call them at 1-800-237-2400. AFP is a division of Time-Warner.
* Local business & supermarket fliers: All mailings must be identified, by postal regulations. Each lose-leaf bundle of fliers, by postal regulations, must be delivered at the same time as an address card. Locate this address card; the cards usually have an advertisement and a photograph of a missing child. You may need to call directory assistance to get the phone number of the sender. Specific senders are:
o ADVO (Mail comes with pictures of missing children). Call 1-860-285-6100 to get off the list. You may have to send a postcard to "ADVO Consumer Assistance, POB 249, Windsor CT 06095-4176".
o Val-Pak Coupons: click the link and copy your mailing label.
o Carol Wright Call 1-800-67-TARGET to get off the list.

Most senders are professional companies which will handle your request politely. "ADVO Mailbox Values" and "Harte Hanks Potpourri" are the most common of these mailers. Your local supermarket's monthly coupon books may be handled by these companies, so be sure to specify if you want to continue to receive those. Your letter carrier is accustomed to giving each house a bundle, so you may also need to inform him or her of your action separately. The post office is prohibited by law from delivering unaddressed mail, so you should have little trouble convincing the carrier.
* Too much junk to deal with individually: Start by sending a postcard or letter to Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, PO Box 643, Carmel, NY 15012-0643 Include your complete name, address, zip code and a request to "activate the preference service". For up to five years, this will stop mail from all member organizations that you have not specifically ordered products from.

The Direct Marketing Association estimates that listing with their mail preference service will stop 75% of all national mailings. They process 50,000 requests a month and requests are kept active for five years. If you fill out the post office change of address form, the DMA will track the new address (you'll get a few months of mailings to the new address before they catch up to you). It can take up to six months for your request to be fully processed. You can also opt-out online, but they charge $5. The best way is to fill out their online form, then mail them a printout.

To stop mail addressed to former residents, or a former spouse

If you rent you are probably familiar with receiving mail for a dozen or more former residents of your dwelling. Since you probably don't want any of the stuff, you can use two powerful techniques that might not be appropriate for yourself:

* Bulk mail for "current resident or ...": Start with sending a postcard or letter to Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, PO Box 643, Carmel, NY 15012-0643 Write "please activate the mail preference service", and include the name, address, and zip code. You must send individual postcards -- the DMA wants to make this all as inconvienent as possible. The DMA will ignore requests that don't appear to be from a single individual.
* First class and some bulk mail: If the former residents neglected to fill out a Post Office change of address card, or it expired, you can fill one out for them. You must fill out one card for each unique last name. Write "Moved, Left No Forwarding Address" as the new address. Sign your own name and write "Form filled in by current resident of the house, [Your Name], agent for the above". You must write "agent for the above". Hand this form directly to your carrier, if possible, as your carrier must approve the form and see that it gets entered into the post service National Change of Address (NCOA) database. This is very effective.

More ideas on dealing with paper junk mail

For more ideas, link to CSPR's "How to Get Less Junk Mail". For very good information about mail/email sent with fraudulent intent (money making schemes, multi-level marketing, fly-by-night operators, stock market "secrets", etc.), link to the National Fraud Information Center.

Expect mail from environmentally sensitive organizations to use recycled paper, preferably "unbleached" grey or tan-colored paper with a high post-consumer content. Glassine windows (the "waxed paper" look), or no windows, are preferred. In areas that accept mixed paper, most junk mail can be recycled. Remove any plastic wrap, stickers, product samples, and those pointless "membership" cards. Due to new technology, plastic window envelopes and staples are ok in many communities.

Even though junk mail can often be recycled, recycling is second best to reducing need 1. Much junk mail uses virgin paper, often of types with poor recycling value and toxic inks. Recycling itself takes energy and resources and has its own impacts on the environment. Reduction, where possible, is the far better choice.
To stop specific types of unwanted telephone marketing calls

* Federal law prohibits telemarketers from "Initiating an outbound telephone call to a person when that person previously has stated that he or she does not wish to receive an outbound telephone call made by or on behalf of the seller whose goods or services are being offered.". You may simply interrupt the telemarketer and say "Please permanently remove me from your calling list". Remember that they just interrupted you. If the same people call back, they are violating the law. Ask them for their company name, supervisor name and phone number. If you wish to quote Federal law to the telemarketer, you may read it at Federal Trade Commission: Telemarketing Sales Rule.
* General Telemarketing calls: Send a postcard with your complete telephone number, area code, address, and names of people receiving calls to DMA Telephone Preference Service, PO Box 9014, Farmingdale NY 11735-9014.

To stop unwanted electronic mail ("SPAM")

It is very hard to effectively combat junk electronic mail. It costs nothing to send out a few million email messages, so there is no disincentive for people to do so. Most SPAM mailers forge the headers, email return address and sending machine name because they are sick of reading the thousands of inevitable complaints. The offers to remove your name from a list are generally untrue, and often result in your name getting added to yet another list. Many internet providers have policies against SPAM, and will take action. Unfortunately some providers either don't care or are SPAM-friendly. There are ways you can reduce exposure and complain:

* Never never never reply to a SPAM email.
* Complaints: SPAMers like to forge email. They forge email, and send it using innocent computers. The war of forgery has reached a level where the average person can't sort out who or where mail actually came from. If you want to complain, use the services of a system like SpamCop to process the mail.
* Stamp out Get Rich Quick schemes: If you suspect fraud, send a copy of the mail to the National Fraud Information Center. If it relates to selling stocks, send to the Securities and Exchange Commission.
* Big companies, like eBay, react aggressively to phishing spam. Just forward it to "abuse@" the company name.
* Secure your web page: If you include a "mailto" link, as below, expect to get junk mail. Remove the "mailto" and force people to manually enter the email address. State your email address in a way readable only to humans (e.g.. "recycle" at machine "obviously.com").
* Secure your computer: If your PC is running a mail server (such as Sendmail or Exchange) it may be used by spammers. Spammers often hijack innocent machines. Check yourself at ORDB.
* Use care with newsgroup postings: Post to a newgroup these days and you can be sure of getting both target SPAM (sports messages for posting in a sports group) and untargeted email. You can use an obviously false return address on postings: most news programs let you set this to whatever you want. Include your real email address (coded as above) in body of the message.
* Complain to your Senator or Representative: Laws will be needed to regulate the eventual legitimate email advertising industry.

Examples of what marketers know about you

Here is a clip from a mailing list compiler's web page showing address counts for a just a few of many types of information they collect on all Americans. The reputable firms will remove your name based on a request made to the DMA (see above).

County Zip Pet Owners Diet Conscious Investors MailOrder Buyers Travelers
ALAMEDA 94705 188 119 202 338 206
Sports Goers Do-It- Yourselfers Collector Fundraising Contributor Computer Owners SweepStakes Entrants Grand Parents
198 122 30 308 162 209 396

1 The Direct Marketing Association suggests "reusing" your unwanted junk mail, by giving it to schools and libraries. This self- serving suggestion is worth somewhat less than you paid for it.

[Best Viewed With Any Browser] For tips on recycling junk mail, link to the Internet Consumer Recycling Guide. Please send comments, questions or additions to recycle3 'at' obviously.COM. World wide web address, "http://www.obviously.COM/junkmail/". Updated November 1998. Contents Copyright 1998 Evergreen Industries & NextBus Transit Information Systems. Keywords: consumer recycling, home recycling, about recycling, environmental Keywords: guide & free tips on stopping junk mail, reducing unwanted marketing bulk mail, how to get less mail, how to stop junk mail.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetstrip01 View Post
Anyone else send back random paper, newspaper, and junk mail in the prepaid envelopes that you get from credit card offers?
I used to do that all the time but hardly ever get junk mail anymore. Had forgotten, but gonna be on the look out for victims.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #24

I will be saving all the return envelopes for CC companies and small cardboard boxes now. Maybe I can fill ziplock freezer bags with manure from the farm to mail them. Hey, it's gotta go somewhere!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
I will be saving all the return envelopes for CC companies and small cardboard boxes now. Maybe I can fill ziplock freezer bags with manure from the farm to mail them. Hey, it's gotta go somewhere!
Could send them your leftovers, would be about the same, wouldn't it?
"For there is one thing we must never forget, the majority can never replace the man. And no more than a hundred empty heads make one wise man will an heroic decision arise from a hundred cowards."-A.H.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdrifter View Post
Could send them your leftovers, would be about the same, wouldn't it?
That would be a biohazard and the gubmint would have to lay siege to my compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement