Transfering a title from SC to NC, when does the notary have to add the seal? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Lightbulb Transfering a title from SC to NC, when does the notary have to add the seal?

So I'm getting a vehicle from my parents, and apparently in NC you need a notary. Now, does that mean my parents and I both need to be present and sign the title over, and have them notarized?

So, can my parents just sign the title over to me, and I go get it notorized this week and take it to the DMV? I can't stand all of this DMV/red-tape stuff.

Sorry, I've never moved to another state before.
http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina...-transfers.php
Quote:
Transferring to Family

The state doesn’t require the new owner to pay the Highway Use Tax when vehicle ownership is transferred between:

* Husband and wife

* Parent and child

* Step-parent and step-child

If the two family members transferring the title fall into one of the above categories, follow these steps to transfer the title:

1. The former owner must present any applicable lien information. This may be a lien release or information to include on the Title Application.
2. If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, the former owner must record the current odometer reading on the title or present the new owner with an Odometer Disclosure Statement.
3. Both parties must complete, sign, date, and have notarized the title, making sure to enter “gift” as the purchase price. The former owner is the “seller” and the new owner is the “buyer.”
4. The former owner must provide the new owner with a Damage Disclosure Statement. Both parties must sign the document.
5. The former owner must remove his license plates and give the new owner the title.
6. The new owner must bring the title and the following documents and fees to his Vehicle & License Plate Renewal Office:
* A completed and notarized Title Application.
* A completed Declaration of Eligible Risk.
* A completed and notarized Highway Use Tax Exemption Certificate.
* His valid NC driver’s license or state-issued ID card.
* Proof of insurance.
* The $40 titling fee (see below) and the $15 late fee if 28 days has passed since the title switched hands or became notarized.

NOTE: Both the Raleigh and Charlotte locations offer Instant Titles in person and through the mail for $75. For more information about eligibility, refer to the state’s Instant or Fast Title.

The new owner will most likely register the vehicle during the same trip. Visit Car Registration to learn more about the registration process and additional fees, and don't forget to check on emissions inspection requirements before you head out to register the vehicle.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -Mark 8:36
"Nietzsche is dead" -God

Last edited by Fast90LXStang; 10-25-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

The title needs to be notarized when your parents sign it. That is all the notary is doing, verifying that your parents are the one who signed the title. And the names on the title and signature matches.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -Mark 8:36
"Nietzsche is dead" -God
Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

Actually SC titles do not need to be notarized. NC titles do, but since its a SC title going to NC all you need is the owners signature.
CD Silver 03 SVT Focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement