Cost to reshingle / reroof 1500sqft house? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (12)

Cost to reshingle / reroof 1500sqft house?

We had some hail damage recently and have been told by an independent insurance adjuster that we've got some damage on one side of the roof...enough that we should fix it. I can't imagine fixing just one side. I suspect we'll have to do the whole thing.

Anyone know roughly what it'll cost? Or how to figure it?

[Insert funny line here]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

Take a couple of long socks and some golf balls and go to town on the whole roof. Get your companies insurance aduster out there and get it all replaced under your policy.

I wouldn't know anything about that though...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I cost my parents just under $2000 to re-roof their aapaprox. 1200 sf. house in 2003, using plain black shingles (no textured or 3D stuff) beyond that I have no idea.
2002 Suzuki GSXR 1000, Akropovic can, power commander 3, and a little road rash - 155 hp
Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #4

Last summer I spent around $1500 on materials and did it myself. Expect a bit more now tar is petroleum based.

Do you have to strip the old roof too? How is your playwood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

I'd count on right around 3 grand.

Unless you've had a recent hailstorm

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

It really depends on the square footage of the roof, not the house, and the area, as well as what exactly they are doing, new flashing, tear off, is there any rot, type of shingle etc.

...plenty of free estimates out there. I'd count on the average of about $5000, $200-300 per square (100 sq feet), you get the idea. Just get an estimate, everyones area is different, and there is no set in stone pricing for labor. The roofing companies around me make a killing (god bless them, I like my back!), in other area's, it's not even worth it.

Last edited by ITSTOCK; 06-17-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

I all I can offer is Florida rates:

Depending on the number of pitches and valleys, you are probably right around 27 squares for the roof. If you are having a contractor do it, figure between $4900-$6000. Depending on the contractor.

If you are looking to do it yourself, you are looking at ~$3000 in materials. Add in the dumping fees after that.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (8)

I think mine was about that size when I had it done 2 years ago and was about $4200 (cash). That was for a 30 year architectural shingle with new flashing and drip edges, as well as ripping off and disposing of the old roof. Oh, they also cut the sheathing and added a ridge vent. A good idea if your house doesn't already have one.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #9

on a 2600sq ft house we used 64 squares, on the cheap side it costs 25 per square to be installed by mexican professionals.

I would imagine a 1500 would be around 40 bundles x 25 = 1000 bucks for labor.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSTOCK View Post
I'd count on the average of about $5000, $200-300 per square (100 sq feet), you get the idea. Just get an estimate, everyones area is different, and there is no set in stone pricing for labor. The roofing companies around me make a killing (god bless them, I like my back!), in other area's, it's not even worth it.
The insurance company quoted $165 per square, and they also are trying to only do a little better than half the roof (20.1 squares). I think I'm getting screwed, which is why I am asking...

[Insert funny line here]
Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #11

What's wrong with replacing the half? Getting screwed would be getting getting nothing. If only half of it is damaged, that's all that needs repair.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
What's wrong with replacing the half? Getting screwed would be getting getting nothing. If only half of it is damaged, that's all that needs repair.
Well, I meant I felt like it was a really low quote at $165 per square to remove and replace. That's all I meant by "getting screwed."

And as far as replacing half, can you actually do it and make it all match right on a 5-year old house? Every other house in the entire neighborhood got a whole new roof.

[Insert funny line here]
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #13

You might want to check into this. It lasts a wicked long time, looks awesome, and helps with heating and cooling bills. It costs a bit more, but the savings in the long run are phenomenal.

http://www.classicmetalroofingsystems.com/

Pictures of it.

http://www.classicmetalroofingsystem...esidential.php

Quote:
You can't handle the truth!
Quote:
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today
Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (8)

If I'm not mistaken, it costs ALOT more, and many HOAs won't allow it since it doesn't fit in their idea of what your property should look like (which is BS, IMHO)
Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #15

$3400
Old 06-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #16

It depends on the pitch of the roof (a 1500 sq ft house can have up to 4000 sq ft of roof depending on pitch and configuration), how many roof penetrations there are, presence and number of things like chimneys and skylights, the roof configuration and how many valleys there are, how much repair has to be done once the old roof is off and you see what you have, quality of shingles, whether ice-block is used in valleys and around the perimeter, and the quality of the contractor you select. We recently had a high quality job done on a low pitch, U-shaped home with a 2900 sq ft footprint and it was about $11,000. All 3 bids were within $1000 of each other. I'd estimate $4-6k depending on the variables mentioned above for a 1500 sq ft home.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBitten View Post
The insurance company quoted $165 per square, and they also are trying to only do a little better than half the roof (20.1 squares). I think I'm getting screwed, which is why I am asking...
Okay, I think I understand...the insurance company is offering to reimburse you for $165/square, when it reality, it's going to cost you over $200/square, which means $35/square is going to come out of your pocket, plus your deductible.

If this is the case, yes, I would say that you are getting screwed. Get a bunch of estimates to show them, because that's ridiculous (unless all of the estimates come in at right about $165/square). Again, I don't know about your area, but in my area, there are always deals going around where a roofing and/or siding company will come around, give you quotes to submit to insurance, and if x amount of houses sign up, they get a good deal and insurance covers x % of it (since the damage was supposedly do to storm damage).
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #18

And check your policy closely.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement