What to do about an unappreciative spouse - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (17)

What to do about an unappreciative spouse

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm at wits end no matter what I do its just not good enough for her. I spend my days at work and come home and help with the house work and the kids, I keep the vehicles maintained, do the yard work and try to support my family as best as I can. I offer my verbal support because I know its hard for her to raise two children and to be honest I just don't anything that comes close to what she has had to go through with giving birth. It just seems that over the past year or so that I went from being husband and father to the guy that changes the oil and rakes the yard. Pardon the seriousness I just have to get it off my chest and talking about this to my wife has became useless as she doesn't listen to me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

It sounds like you REALLY need to have a sit down with her and let her know how she's made you feel. It sounds like she may be experiencing some sort of outside stressor (work, family?) that's causing her to take out her anger on you. If anything, leave the kids with a sitter, and go out to an affordable dinner so the 2 of you can talk. In public the both of you are less likely to raise your voices but you can lay it all out there. Basically, ask her "WTF?" but in a nice tone of voice - let her explain her side off the story and go from there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
US Army Active Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightliner1 View Post
It sounds like you REALLY need to have a sit down with her and let her know how she's made you feel. It sounds like she may be experiencing some sort of outside stressor (work, family?) that's causing her to take out her anger on you. If anything, leave the kids with a sitter, and go out to an affordable dinner so the 2 of you can talk. In public the both of you are less likely to raise your voices but you can lay it all out there. Basically, ask her "WTF?" but in a nice tone of voice - let her explain her side off the story and go from there.
I have tried talking to her repeatedly. It just seems to be the same conversation over and over, she never seems to remmember the "last" time we talked about it. You may be right about the change of scenery but at this point I getting a little "gun shy" about even bringing it up.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (4)

How long have you been married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
FD wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.
Houses fall off hillsides when it rains there and what doesn't slide down the hill is consumed by a wildfire and what isn't consumed by flames crumbles under earthquakes and what doesn't crumble is vandalized and turned into crackhouses by out-of-control gangs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo yelo View Post
I have tried talking to her repeatedly. It just seems to be the same conversation over and over, she never seems to remmember the "last" time we talked about it. You may be right about the change of scenery but at this point I getting a little "gun shy" about even bringing it up.
Sometimes you just have to get over being "gun shy." If you don't communicate your problems, then nothing will be fixed and the problems will likely grow. Good communications is the #1 key in a healthy relationship.

Also remember that communicating takes two. If you communicate and she isn't listening or understanding then maybe some other alternative is needed, like a counselor. Someone to help you guys communicate.
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
US Army Active Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDriver View Post
How long have you been married?
11+ years
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
US Army Active Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Sometimes you just have to get over being "gun shy." If you don't communicate your problems, then nothing will be fixed and the problems will likely grow. Good communications is the #1 key in a healthy relationship.

Also remember that communicating takes two. If you communicate and she isn't listening or understanding then maybe some other alternative is needed, like a counselor. Someone to help you guys communicate.
Your right it takes two to communicate, in the beginning I had to get used to that but now it seems the other way around. I think your right about the counselor. The wife will love that idea.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #8

Find a Marriage Encounter weekend near you and go...I was in the exact same place you are, and the ME weekend was a lifesaver. She and I both learned alot, and now we have far less problems with stress, communicating, etc.....
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowndex View Post
Find a Marriage Encounter weekend near you and go...I was in the exact same place you are, and the ME weekend was a lifesaver. She and I both learned alot, and now we have far less problems with stress, communicating, etc.....
Whats a Marriage Encounter weekend?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (19)

Sounds like the pimp hand hasn't been used in a while. Need to bring her back in line.

Please help
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (2)

What, nobody has said P.I.I.T.B. yet? What's wrong Corral? Ok, seriously though like said above try something new, scenery spend some alone time together, go on a little vacation together, maybe do something together you used to do together before you were married and had kids, and keep us posted btw, and good luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (7)

I can help you get rid of the body...

Seriously.. try counsling, if that don't work then divorce.

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

www.thefusionsolution.com
Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Whats a Marriage Encounter weekend?
It's a wonderful tool for couples....
Here is the website for the North Texas organization. There are links to other areas, if you aren't close....
www.ntexasme.org

I have personally seen marriages saved from the very brink of divorce. My wife and I are presenters for ME weekends with the North Texas group. At the last one we did in February, there was one couple who had already been to court several times, and another who were at the end of their rope and discussing divorce. Both left the weekend with renewed commitments and no further talk of divorce!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #14

Garage
it sounds to me like your wife needs to grow up and understand that the world doesnt revolve around her. to that end you can help her with marriage counceling.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (115)

If she isn't communicating it's kind of tough to work anything out. The first question I would ask her is, "Are you interested in working through our problem". You may not get the answer you want, but at least you'll know where you stand.
I've been married 27 years,(I'm 48), and have found our relationship goes through cycles. During the "down" times we give each other a little more space than usual.
You have to figure out if you have a flaw in the foundation of the marriage or are just going through a "down" time.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #16

Sounds like the typical self centered American female. Take take take.
When no one will put up with them maybe they'll change.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it sounds to me like your wife needs to grow up and understand that the world doesnt revolve around her. to that end you can help her with marriage counceling.
Or she just isn't happy with whats on her plate.

It happens many times that a woman grows older only to realize she never had her "dream". Knight in shining armor, wealth, undying passion they read in romance novels, etc. Reality kicks in, they have rug rats, and thier bodies lose all signs of youth. Depression ensues, what can you do. It is one of the reason there are so many middle aged divorcees in this country.

If you see no place you can step it up a notch, maybe it is time to talk about the possibility of counseling.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Or she just isn't happy with whats on her plate.

It happens many times that a woman grows older only to realize she never had her "dream". Knight in shining armor, wealth, undying passion they read in romance novels, etc. Reality kicks in, they have rug rats, and thier bodies lose all signs of youth. Depression ensues, what can you do. It is one of the reason there are so many middle aged divorcees in this country.

If you see no place you can step it up a notch, maybe it is time to talk about the possibility of counseling.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Banned

Divorce before you obtain any more assests. Don't bother throughing money at counseling. People don't change, they only learn to tollerate. There are many women out there that would appreciate the real you.
SuckersWalk is banned  
Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (1)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think it's not worth working out.

Incredible.

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #21

I blame rap music.

Please help
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (115)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
People don't change, they only learn to tollerate.
Accepting and tolerating is something you'll be doing no matter who you're with. There are no perfect people out there that I'm aware of.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORCITYMADMAN View Post
Sounds like the typical self centered American female. Take take take.
When no one will put up with them maybe they'll change.
Yeah, hi. We generally get along but you're going to have to take a dose of STFU and GTFO in this one. Doesn't mean we can't still hangout and drink beer later. Bear with me and watch:

Melo, didn't the wife just have a kid? Spend 9 mos preggers prior to that? She still nursing? How old's the other one? Anyone screen her for postpartum depression? Check her thyroid? Give her some time to get her hair done and a pedicure? Go out for some grownup talk and some heavy drinking? Tell us about how she's being physically taken care of after cranking out a couple kids, because it's physically tasking on your body. Mine decided it was done being preggers 3+ weeks prior to our son's due date and, among other things, my kidneys revolted. Not fun.

I'm not saying she isn't a bear, she may be. But there may be some real physical issues that should be addressed for her well being and the family. If the momma ain't happy...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
Divorce before you obtain any more assests. Don't bother throughing money at counseling. People don't change, they only learn to tollerate. There are many women out there that would appreciate the real you.
Lemme guess, you're divorced already....

All better now.....Stroked 331, Forged Probe Pistons, Scat Crank & Rods, Kenne Bell 2200, AFR 185's, Comp Cam XE266HR, BBK 70MM TB, 90MM LMAF, 42# injectors, 3.55's, JBA Shorties, MagnaFlow exhaust, 395 RWHP, 403 RWTQ
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #25

taking notes.

White by birth, trash by choice.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #26

/grabs popcorn/

Please help
Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #27

Trader Feedback: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
I blame rap music.
don't forget the video games.... and someone please think of the children
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #28

Trader Feedback: (20)

There are two sides to every story and you may not have yet recognized her side.

Order of events

1.) communication
2.) counseling

3.) Either divorce or stay together where you guys both just tolerate eachother for the good of the kids

Refer to 3.) only after giving 1.) and 2.) a very involved shot

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of these unions I have witnessed firsthand that have gone over 10 years involve two people that are just tolerating eachother.

Its sad, seriously like 90% of the 20+ hitched people I know are in this situation... Staying together for religion, finance, convenience...

Makes me wonder if we were meant to tie the knot.

Last edited by Luke87GT; 03-31-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #29

Please read my posts (#8 & 13) above......great gain without the cost of repeated counseling visits, and no moronic 'get divorced now' bs to put up with.......
There is a Marriage Encounter specifically for military couples, also.
PM me if you'd like more info......
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87GT View Post

Its sad, seriously like 90% of the 20+ hitched people I know are in this situation... Staying together for religion, finance, convenience...

Makes me wonder if we were meant to tie the knot.
IT seems as if everyone knows more unhappily married people than vice versa. How is that possible? I know more divorced people than I do married, but I have a few friends whom I would consider happily married. Marriage is such a crap shoot that I don't see how people will continue to enter into the contract much longer. Its so easy to get married and divorced. It is basically dating, but with paperwork, these days.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #31

Beat your wife on every morning. If you don't know why, she will.

Michael Means"
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #32

Don't worry, it'll get better. This is just normal post partum type stuff from what I can tell based on my experience.

My wife took about 4 or 5 months to get back to being a normal person after our son was born. She's 30 and this is our first. I'm sure it takes longer to bounce back from giving birth at 30 than at 20.

There's a lot of hormone stuff going on there, and she has to cope with her body and her new life.

It sucks, but it'll get better. Just ride it out for now and keep doing what you're doing. If she's still a raging bitch when the youngest one is 6 months old, then set up a counseling session. Most curches will counsel for free if you're a member.
"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." - Mark 10:14-15

RIP 'Meli
April 28th 2009
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #33

a few options...

A) (the realistic one) sit down and communicate - like others have said. let her know seriously but affectionately how you feel and that you're pissed about it. while this may be the best option, it'll still be you correcting her and trying to change how she's acting.

B) (semi-serious) act like nothing is happening, and try to have a sense of humor about it. laugh it all off. improve your mojo. a great attitude is contagious. this may be the best because it won't ever involve any corrective action - she won't see it as you attacking her or coming down on her about being who she is (a hormonal nutcase right now but she doesn't realize it)

C) stop maintaining the vehicles and raking the yard. go out drinking more. spend more time doing #### you like to do for YOU. for one week, do something without her EVERY night. go to the range for an entire evening. the next night, go out drinking. next night, go golfing, next night, go bowling, next night, #### off who cares. absence makes the heart grow fonder, and in my experience, helps a bitch notice she's being one. this may be the best because hopefully she'll work the problem out on her own and will require you to do nothing but ignore her for a while, and do #### you like.

-Dalai Lama
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #34

All of my normal sarcastic jokes about my wife aside, I'm going through the same thing, with much less time together and no kids, luckily.

I'll be watching for intelligent suggestions. I looked at the ME weekends site. How religion based is it? Seems like it must stress that pretty hard to be broken up into so many different groups.
The arrogance on knife forums is completely out of proportion to those people's place in the food chain...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #35

this may be a dumb question, but for those of you having problems, when was the last time you two hung out for a night and got drunk together?

-Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement