4.6 ENGINE PRIMING??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (28)

4.6 ENGINE PRIMING???

OK,maybe this is a stupid question but how the hell do you prime a brand new 4.6,the car has no distributor and the oil pump works off the cam assembly,so the only thing i could think was pull the coil packs and just crank it with the started but idk for a brand new motor.help appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Go to Wallmart and get a hand pump type garden pesticide sprayer. Fill the sprayer gug with oil, about four quarts, don't pour oil in the motor, remove the tip on the sprayer hose and adapt it with pipe fittings to screw into the hole just above the oil filter where the oil pressure sending unit for the oil pressure gauge goes, now pump the oil into the engine with the hand pump, by the time you pump all 4 quarts in you will have primed the whole system and can pour quart 5 in the valve cover.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

Heya,

On my new DSS Super mod motor, I just pulled the spark plugs, attached a piece of shrink wrap tube to a syringe about 8-10inches long, shrank it around the syringe end with a match , and shot about 1/2 oz. of oil into each cylinder. I then removed the fuel pump relay, made sure my battery was charged, and cranked the motor 3-4 times for about 30 seconds each time. Reconnected the fuel pump relay, VROOOOOM =)

Ford actually sells some OTC tool to prime 4.6 motors, but many of us use the method or a similar method to what I just listed above.

RLOVE... inventive idea there... if I did lots of motors... I'd have to go your route!

SOHC
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcv8gt View Post
Heya,

On my new DSS Super mod motor, I just pulled the spark plugs, attached a piece of shrink wrap tube to a syringe about 8-10inches long, shrank it around the syringe end with a match , and shot about 1/2 oz. of oil into each cylinder. I then removed the fuel pump relay, made sure my battery was charged, and cranked the motor 3-4 times for about 30 seconds each time. Reconnected the fuel pump relay, VROOOOOM =)

Ford actually sells some OTC tool to prime 4.6 motors, but many of us use the method or a similar method to what I just listed above.

RLOVE... inventive idea there... if I did lots of motors... I'd have to go your route!

SOHC

This method is not in anyway priming the engine. This might help seat the rings a little, but DEFF not priming the engine. The only true way is how RLOVE described above.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (28)

yeah i've seen the ford contraption but that thing goes for like 250 bucks and deff not looking to spend that.
RLOVEJOY-any pics of specific type directions on how to make this thing or at least the exact parts i will need.thanks for the input too,helps out a lot.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (38)

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents on how I did mine and the success I had.

I had an old 30# cylinder of freon and drilled a hole in the bottom, opened the top valve (where freon is supposed to come out at). I then blew air in the tank just to get the shavings out, I also ran some brake cleaner in there a few times to clean the oily residue and shook the tank to make sure no rattles and free of debris.

I then filled up that tank with about 5 quarts of 5W20 oil and installed an air fitting to the hole I drilled. The kind that has the male end (the ones used for air tools). I then connected some 3/8 fuel line to that fitting with a hose clamp and on the other end, used a 1/4 inch pipe thread fitting with a barb and screwed it into where the stock sending unit goes.

I filled the tank with shop air from the top fitting and had my co-worker open the valve, I could hear the air going into the tank and after a minute or so, I heard air coming out from the valve train and could actually see oil coming out of the tops of the rockers. Of course, my engine was already assembled and the valve covers were on, so I removed the oil cap to verify.

It worked flawlessly and all I spent was 2 bucks on the barb/npt fitting.

When I started the engine, I had instant oil pressure and no clatter at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement