What would cause really bad shaking at idle? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2002, 02:17 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

What would cause really bad shaking at idle?

My car normally idles pretty rough but every once in a while it gets worse. What would cause my car to shake so bad? It also gets better when I raise the revs. Except at 2000 RPM's. That's like the suite spot on my car for engine vibe.

Any ideas?

I have already installed new plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, and motor mounts.

Also, sometimes when I mash the throttle I get a wierd smell out of the A/C. Does this have anything to do with my rough idle?

Last edited by progresr; 04-07-2002 at 03:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2002, 02:48 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

I would start on looking at the motor mounts, see where that takes you. That would be where you would most likley be gettting the shaking from considering it is the motor that vibrates.
Next I would be looking into a new aluminum drive shaft. I had that happen to an 89 lx of mine that shook real bad, but mine was at higher RPM's. The Alum. driveshaft took care of that. Good Luck! Tom
1995 cobra clone,Dart Iron eagle 352 by P.E.R. Race engines, new set up-big stuff 3, 205cc tfs tw heads race ported 326@.600, freezy cam, tfs R box.160# Bosch Inj. Vortech renegade ysi. turbo 400 w/brake. 10.5 set up, Old set up, 5.8@118. Under winter transformation. Still street car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-07-2002, 03:56 PM   #3

Sorry, I reworded my original post. I already replaced the mounts and I think it got worse.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:29 PM   #4

Ok, then I would be thinking the harmonic balancer. That is what keeps the engine balanced on the outside . That is why it is shaking so badly.
1995 cobra clone,Dart Iron eagle 352 by P.E.R. Race engines, new set up-big stuff 3, 205cc tfs tw heads race ported 326@.600, freezy cam, tfs R box.160# Bosch Inj. Vortech renegade ysi. turbo 400 w/brake. 10.5 set up, Old set up, 5.8@118. Under winter transformation. Still street car.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:15 PM   #5

So you think it's the crank pulley?
Old 04-08-2002, 09:20 PM   #6

I had shake at idle once. Turned out it was just bad connection on one of the spark plugs. Check them carefully. Single misfire wasn't noticable at mid-high rpm but at idle it was really bad.
JBA headers; Magnaflow X pipe w/cats; Borla Cat Back;
FMS 3.73 gear; PI Stallion 3200 (multi disk lockup); Jerry Mod; B&M Race tranny cooler; FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft; Metco Driveshaft Loop;
H&R Race springs; Tokico Illumina shocks/struts; MM full-length SC; MM CC plates; MM LCA;
Hawk HPS brake pads; 255/45/17 Toyo Proxes T1S;
----------------
13.3@102.678 1.85 60' Racing weight: 3540 lbs
Old 04-08-2002, 09:29 PM   #7

I want the specs on your cam SHAKES the car.Man where can I get those.

I would check the wires also could be the coil packs.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...etkilrSIG3.jpg
Old 04-08-2002, 09:47 PM   #8

It's not the wires. How can I test the coil packs?
Old 04-09-2002, 05:24 PM   #9

No, not the pulley itself. It is behind the pulley. Your harmonic balancer. The only purpose for it is to keep the engine in balance. But the crank pulley is in front of it. I don't believe there is a way to check if it is bad, unless you look at it while it is turning and see if it has a "bobble" . Tom
Old 04-09-2002, 08:07 PM   #10

My crank pulley does wobble. Is it easy to replace. I thought I read on here it was normal to wobble.

Thanks

Oh, and how do I check the coil packs?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:04 PM   #11

mmm interesting my car does the same thing!shakes at idle and i'd like to know how the check the coil packs too!!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #12

Wow, this is an old thread. I don't even own the Mustang anymore. Traded it for a WRX.

mweic_gt:
I tested my coil packs as per the service manual ans they both seemed to have bad readings. I never got to replace them though, but I just wanted to add anything that could help.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:17 PM   #13

thanks for the response,but can you tell me how to check them?i was doing a search and i found this thread with same symptoms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement