Battery Light Comes On When Accelerating - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Exclamation Battery Light Comes On When Accelerating

Need Help:
When I drive my car, especially when I accelerate at high speeds on the freeway, the red battery light comes on and then turns off. Sometimes it will come on and then go off. I am the original owner and the car has 100k with the original battery. Is is the battery?? Should I replace it before taking it to Ford and paying a lot to have them tell me to replace my battery. Or is it a charging problem? THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

That light indicates a charging system problem. It kind of sounds like the belt is slipping at high load. How old is the belt? and tensioner? Also, if your batt is 4 years old it could very well be dying to.
PI heads and Intake, VT stage II's, Densecharger CAI, Pro-M 85mm MAF, Accufab 75mm TB, 1/2 " intake spacer, MSD Coil packs and wires, Mac Longtubes, Mac O/R H, Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax, Spec Stage II clutch, AL flywheel, AL driveshaft, 3.73's, Max Speed Progressive rear springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks/struts, GMS upper and lower rear control arms, UPR tubular K and coil overs, Cobra rear swaybar, full lenth subframes, Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors, high-temp Kevlar pads, poly bushings everywhere.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmush
That light indicates a charging system problem. It kind of sounds like the belt is slipping at high load. How old is the belt? and tensioner? Also, if your batt is 4 years old it could very well be dying to.
Some good questions have been put to you.....Best to start cheap as far as trouble shooting and work your way up in price. I'd recommend you take the car to any autoparts store that can do a free charging system test (advance auto, autozone, etc) this service is free also. If all is well, check/change the belt. If all is not well and @ 100k miles iF the battery is original equipment, it's definitetly suspect. What about the alternator which charges the battery? Maybe she's dying as well. The tensioner is another good point. After a while that spring for the tensioner can and will loose some it's coil strength. Good luck with trouble shooting and we hope this steers you in the right direction. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by 1SLOHRS; 06-16-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

I have the same problem, about 92k but the battery is only a couple of years old. I guess I should check the belt/tensioner.

Would a failing alternator cause this problem at all?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

The alternator is what turns the battery light on.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #6

Check and make sure all of your connections are tight (Big 3)
Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #7

So you guys are saying that my belt could be slipping, which is causing my light to turn on? The belt is fairly new (Motorcraft, replaced by Ford dealership). I did not know that the alternator signals the battery light. The battery charging gauge on the dash, however, shows that all is well. Would a bad battery signal a battery light when accelerating???? Thanks for the advice on getting a charging system check. I will keep you all posted.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermod
The alternator is what turns the battery light on.
I must agree!!
2002 Mustang GT Blk/Blk 5speed with 3.90's and a 125shot- SOLD

FIRST COAST MODIFIED MUSTANGS
Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychstang
So you guys are saying that my belt could be slipping, which is causing my light to turn on? The belt is fairly new (Motorcraft, replaced by Ford dealership). I did not know that the alternator signals the battery light. The battery charging gauge on the dash, however, shows that all is well. Would a bad battery signal a battery light when accelerating???? Thanks for the advice on getting a charging system check. I will keep you all posted.

Yes a bad battery could also trigger the "light". Do you have under drive pulleys isntalled on your stang? Some UDP kits have been known to cause charging problems also. Do the diagnostic and go from there: Charging system test, battery test, belt check/replacement if it's starting to crack/slip, tensioner check. Everyone here is pretty much dead on especially dogmush w/ the belt slippage. Good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement