Would warped rotors cause shaking while driving? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Would warped rotors cause shaking while driving?

I just replaced my brake pads and resurfaced the rotors but I still have shaking when braking. Also, if my car is on jack stands and I spin the front wheels by hand I can hear them make noise over a certain spot on the rotors and the wheels get harder to spin. Bad resurface job? And if I tap on my brake pedal hard my steering wheel jerks.

What's weird is I also have shaking while driving, it's just much worse when braking.

Is it the rotors? If so, where can I get Powerslots or some other upgraded rotors and pads for cheap.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2002, 02:44 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (15)

assuming the rotors were turned properly and you re-assembled everything correctly, I would say something is wrong in the bearing pack. Put the car on jack stands grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to 'wiggle' it. If it moves there a problem with the bearings.

did you hit anything ?

By the way, turning rotors is never a good thing. They will overheat much faster. Not worth the savings on a performance car.

The steering wheel 'jerk' is caused by unequal braking between left and right wheel. Make sure the alignment is correct, wheels are balanced and there are no air bubbles in the brake lines before tearing up too many things.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:53 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (15)

by the way, brakes could save your life. There are no parts 'for cheap'. If you buy sub par parts you will have sub par results.

just friendly advice......
Old 03-17-2002, 02:56 PM   #4

Re: Would warped rotors cause shaking while driving?

Quote:
Originally posted by progresr
I just replaced my brake pads and resurfaced the rotors but I still have shaking when braking. Also, if my car is on jack stands and I spin the front wheels by hand I can hear them make noise over a certain spot on the rotors and the wheels get harder to spin. Bad resurface job? And if I tap on my brake pedal hard my steering wheel jerks.

What's weird is I also have shaking while driving, it's just much worse when braking.

Is it the rotors? If so, where can I get Powerslots or some other upgraded rotors and pads for cheap.

Thanks
I would first check sure the lug nuts are torqued to the proper spec this is the #1 reason for warped rotors. I would check the bearings as the other poster mentioned. I see that you said it' stock, but if it had aftermarket wheels I'd be sure that the wheel fit the hub firmly or you would need centric rings (these center the wheel on the hub. Also check your balance and make sure the air pressure is at the recommended pressure my 2001 GT recommends 30psi. Make sure the calipers aren't sticking. But you said you can hear them rub so most likely the rotors are badly warped. If everything checks out fine, road force balance your tires, most shops don't have this machine its a Hunter 9700 balancer. I few months back I had vibration in my 2001 Ranger 4x4 after a rotation and balance. I had them road force balanced and it fixed it. The wheels were slightly bent and the shop said this is getting to be commonplace nowadays.

K&N air filter
trimmed air silencer
speed volume mod on MACH 460
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-17-2002, 09:44 PM   #5

warped rotors will not ussually cause any vibration whil driving, but it sounds like who ever re-sufaced them did't know what they were doing, or had to much runnout on there brake lathe. my advise is to replace the rotors, having them machined will cause them to warp even faster, heat crack more easily, ect. have your tires balanced, checking for flat spots of course. and make sure that you tourqe your wheels back down properly. if you can find a shop with the right eqp. also check to be sure that you don't have a sticking caliper, uneven pad wear from side to side. good luck, hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses.

I have checked everything but I haven't done a good balance in a while, so that's probably my intermitent shaking while driving. So I guess it's time for some new rotors.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on brakes that fit under the stock 16 inch wheels? The only ones I know of are Powerslots but have heard they're not too great. Are there any others?

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:10 AM   #7

I'm noticing a similar problem. I have a 96 Cobra with 28K with original brake components. I noticed a little shimmering when braking. It also seems to shimmer a little when turning right. However, I think this is more of a road problem since I don't always notice it.

The brakes look good and the shop says alignment is fine, so I'm at a loss.

I was looking at purchasing some Grimbo 13" rotors when it comes times for a brakechange so hopefully that will fix my problem.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:06 AM   #8

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/mustang.htm

"Got 8 cylinders, uses 'em all"
"Got overdrive, just won't stall."
~ 'Hot Rod Lincoln' by C. Ryan
Old 03-18-2002, 12:24 PM   #9

if the rotors are warped severly enough it will cause a shaking while driving; and you can resurface them all you want--it won't de-warp the rotors.

Christopher Hitchens
June, 2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement