Who's running a torque converter??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 11:07 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Who's running a torque converter???

Which one do you have?

Do you like it?

I am interested in one for my daily driven (365 days a year) SN95. What sort of trade-offs are there when using an aftermarket converter?

Thanks.

1965 Nova SS 327
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 01:02 PM   #2

I got a 2800 on my re-built AOD-E...got it for $500
not sure about the brand name, but make sure u get a non-lock up trq converter if ur gonna do alot of highway driving cuz it does make the rpm's a lttle higher when cruising on the higway.

i have 4.10's and at 70mph it was at about 2500-2600rpm. Now with the new trq. converter it is a couple hundred rpm's higher, but it pulls very nice on demand!

picture page

my webpage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:16 PM   #3

Loud98SVT:

I noticed in your sig. that you used the kit in the trans. Does the computer try to correct the shifting?? I keep seeing everybody say do the chip to change shifting patterns?? Do you know if you do just the shift kit and not the converter change does that cause a problem with anything??

Thanks

Bud
390, C6, 4:56 gears and more stuff.
10 point cage, tubbed.Progress pictures on the link below.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...0/ppuser/12578

1998 GT Convert. (Sold)

This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:26 PM   #4

it's not too noticable of a problem...i ran the shift kit in the car with no trq. conv. and no chip for a while, and it shifted hard as hell. but i did blow that tranny cuz i didn't have a tranny cooler and with a shift kit, it alows for more "HOT" tranny fluid to pass thru the tranny making it shift harder..also burning the clutches and shortening the life of the tranny.

I now have a re-built tranny with the new converter, shift kit, tranny cooler and custom burned chip and it feels tighter then the stock on. it shifts just as hard and is more precise cuz the chip turns up the line pressure and raises the rev limiter to work in unisen with the performance parts i added to the tranny

some good advice: if you r gonna do ANYTHING to help the tranny run better (chip/shift kit) spend the $75 and get a tranny cooler "cheap insurance" cuz heat kills the clutches in the tranny really fast and once they're shot it won't engage into gear, and it'll just spin on the flywheel and u won't go anywhere

picture page

my webpage
Old 02-14-2002, 10:07 PM   #5

Quote:
some good advice: if you r gonna do ANYTHING to help the tranny run better (chip/shift kit) spend the $75 and get a tranny cooler "cheap insurance" cuz heat kills the clutches in the tranny really fast and once they're shot it won't engage into gear, and it'll just spin on the flywheel and u won't go anywhere
Thanks for the info!! And if I understand you, even the chip will cause the clutches to burnup without the cooler??

Thanks again!!

Bud

1998 GT Convert. (Sold)

Old 02-15-2002, 06:36 AM   #6

I would suggest reading and studying the article "Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101" written by Jerry Wroblewski. It is the most well written and informative article I have seen on the subject. It explains the Ford AOD, AOD-E and 4r70w very well. It also includes specific areas of modification necessary to build and maintain a bullet proof 4r70w, main control modifications, torque converters and driveline harmonics. http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml

Hope this helps.

Best 1/8 mile E.T N/A
60 FT______2.106
1/8 ET_____9.34
MPH_______75.86

Best 1/8 mile E.T. NOS 75 shot
60 FT______1.887
1/8 ET_____8.247
MPH_______85.91

88 LX
Work in progress...
Old 02-15-2002, 06:50 AM   #7

torque converter

I have put about 40,000 miles amd 200 1/4 passes on mine with a Precision Industries 4,000 lock-up converter. Car still gets 23-24 mpg. The only time I notice it is at slow speeds below 45mph and when racing. Times in sig.
FFW Steeda/Hyland Mod Motor Top Ten Eliminator Club Member
1999-2000-2001-2002
7.34 @ 94.45
11.57 @ 116.93
350 HP 337 TQ SAE
modmaxracing.com
propowerparts.com
performanceautomatic.com
foxlakeracing.com
Old 02-15-2002, 09:06 AM   #8

nailpounder:

Thanks for the info I will print that off and keep it!!!

Bud

1998 GT Convert. (Sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement