How fast are stock 96-98 GT's? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 06:04 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

I am thinking of picking up a 98 GT w/ an AODE for a daily driver, how fast are they stock, are the 5 speed cars much quicker than the AODE cars? Are they like the 5.0's 5 speed vs AOD, or are the 96-98 AODE cars better? I know that these years of the Mustang arent know for there performance but I am just looking for a Daily driver that is comfortable. Later on I might put some 4.10's and a dry shot to it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

The 98s have the 4R70W transmission which has gearing closer matched to the 5 speed. The 98 stock will do the quarter with a low 15 second quarter mile and the 5 speed will do it in a high 14 second quarter.

Wrecked:
'98GT Black/Tan, 5% tint, 4R70W, 3.27 gears
K&N filter-Air silencer removed
'01 PI cams
MAC Offroad H
Steeda Timing Adjuster
180' thermo
3220lbs w/o driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowRacer
So your mad that you didn't get your willy wet on the first try? Don't worry... When the dew is on the pumpkin thats the time for dicky dunkin.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #3

AOD-E was in '94/95 only I think. '96+ was the 4R70W I think. Drive one and see if you're happy with it. In any year late model Mustang you're going to take a huge hit in performance as opposed to a manual tranny. If you're using your car for a daily driver you might be happy with the benefits of an auto over the faster acceleration of a manual. I drive autos because I drive through DC traffic and I wouldn't want a manual. Your situation may be different.

'91 Mustang LX, beefed up AOD, 3.73's, aluminum driveshaft, subframes, off road H, Flowmasters, Intrax springs, STB, underdrive crank pulley, '93 Cobra overdrive water pump pulley, 155# fuel pump, Nittos, Cervinis 1 1/2" cowl
Old 10-22-2003, 12:40 AM   #4

Everyone is different but, I would never purchase and auto even in DC traffic.

2000 Sliver/Black GT (Sold)

1996 Red/Tan GT (Sold)
Old 10-22-2003, 12:42 AM   #5

Well the question should be rephrased to How Slow are 96-98 cars stock .... I guess that should tell all..
Old 10-22-2003, 01:43 AM   #6

my 98 beat many 99+...dont gate teh 96-98

more info on my car...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:18 AM   #7

A 98 auto should run in the low 15's stock mine ran 15.4 all day long with 150K on it, and its a 96 10 less HP
steeda udp
Steeda T/A
4:10 gears
Mac LT's
Mac O/R h-pipe
MSD Supercondutor wires
chip ( fordchip.com)
K&N
fox 4cyl springs in front
Lakewood lift bars and UCA in rear with H&R race springs
PA interceptor tranny with 2800 stall
best time 14.20@97.56 60ft 2.18(driver?) before tranny swap and suspension
Old 10-22-2003, 02:49 AM   #8

slow...pathetially slow

see sig
Old 10-22-2003, 10:03 AM   #9

my 97 is at about 15 flat
Old 10-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #10

its an auto also.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #11

My '97 GT 5-speed ran a best of 14.86 stock and I had a friend of mine that ran his '97 GT 5-speed on the same day and he cut a best of 14.57 stock.

242 rwhp & 273 rwtq with stock untouched non-PI heads & stock longblock with 136K and counting!

All non-PI guys click here!

Blue Mustang Registry
Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #12

Then why does everyone say that they are all so slow, seems to me that they are about as fast as a 5.0 stock for stock?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason915
Then why does everyone say that they are all so slow, seems to me that they are about as fast as a 5.0 stock for stock?
They are about as fast as the '94-'95's were stock. It just takes alot more stuff to make them quicker and are more expensive on parts versus the 5.0. The older fox bodies are quicker then us stock especially the coupes (2800lbs).

242 rwhp & 273 rwtq with stock untouched non-PI heads & stock longblock with 136K and counting!

All non-PI guys click here!

Blue Mustang Registry
Old 10-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #14

yep, they're slow stock, but you can always change that with mods and $. But anyways, IMO the 96-98 GT's are THE BEST looking Gt's ever made....maybe not the best looking mustangs, but def. best looking GT's.......so to each his own.

Matt

My CarDomain Site
Old 10-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #15

Yeah I do like the looks of them especally with the 17" alloys
Old 10-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (7)

I ran a 15.3 my first time at the track. My mods are mac o/r h, mac cat back, 3.73 gears, k&n filter and a tri-ax shifter. My check engine light came on about 10 miles away from the track and the idle would surge and run like crap for a while, then go back to driving kind of OK. Found out that the MAF had gone bad along with the pass. front O2 sensor. I will hopefully be going back to the strip to get some better times. The fastest ET I had that day was 93 mph.

EDIT: your girl is a fvcking whore too and im glad her POS jetta got stolen LOL
This is the kind of stuff that a "real" man says
Old 10-22-2003, 12:25 PM   #17

My 98 5-speed ran 14.50@96 stock, and I got it down to a 14.20@97 with gears, and pullies.
2003 FFW M/M runner up, Phoenix.
12.91@104
Old 10-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #18

Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason915
I am thinking of picking up a 98 GT w/ an AODE for a daily driver, how fast are they stock, are the 5 speed cars much quicker than the AODE cars? Are they like the 5.0's 5 speed vs AOD, or are the 96-98 AODE cars better? I know that these years of the Mustang arent know for there performance but I am just looking for a Daily driver that is comfortable. Later on I might put some 4.10's and a dry shot to it.
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing. The 96-98 GT's are pretty slow compared to the 99+ Mod motors. That's why everyone is doing the famous PI headswap which will take care of that deficiency and let the Mod Motor breathe. But since you are looking for comfort just get some plush seat covers and a pair of Fuzzy dice and you should be all set
Magnaflow/Magnapack Cat back, HPM Lower Control Arms, Southside Machine Upper Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, Aluminum Flywheel, Blueprinted King Cobra pressure plate with McLeod Dual Friction disk, Pro 5.0 shifter, Latest and Greatest Fordchip.com Tune:
1/25/03 446.0 HP and 421.1lbs of torque SAE
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #19

Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sting
[B]So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing.

Comfort will be first, but I can't stand to drive and I refuse to ever own a vehicle that can't even get out of its own way. Part of the Comfort factor for me is being able to leave everyone behind when I want to, or being able to merge into trafic with ease.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #20

See my sig. It might not be blazing fast, but I will probably never trade or sell it. I love the design of the '96-'98's, both inside and out!

K&N, GTS Blue Covers, VRS X-pipe, '01 Bullitt Springs, Tokico Shocks/Struts, 180° Thermo, Magnaflow Mufflers, Eibach ProSpacers, Steeda MIL's, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, Sumitomo HTRZ's, MM HD LCA's, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler
Old 10-22-2003, 07:30 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (20)

Before the PI stuff came out, there were plenty of people running low 14s and some 13s with a few bolt ons and gears. I ran 14.5 at 95 with just gears.
Erich
Old 10-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #22

I was about 14.8 stock, gears helped the most, but you can see where I am in my signature.

Engine
2001 PI Motor
Dyno Tuned Chip by Coastal Dyno, Tampa, FL
MAC Cold Air Intake
FRPP 70mm Throttle Body
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
MSD Superconductor Wires

Exhaust
MAC Long Tubes
MAC Shorty Off Road H-Pipe
Flowmaster Cat-Back
Dynomax Polished Tips

Driveline
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
Finish Line Performance Stage II Transmission
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Steeda Double Hook Clutch Quadrant
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
FRPP 3.73 Ring and Pinion
Hawk Brake Pads

Suspension
H&R Supersport Springs
Tokicko 5-Way Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Steeda Caster Camber Plates
Steeda Tubular Subframe Connectors
Steeda X2 Ball Joints

Best E.T.: 14.062 @ 97.08 1.944 60' (98 Engine)

Dyno: 215 rwhp @ 4600 rpm (98 Engine)
292 ftlbs @ 3900 rpm (98 Engine)
Old 10-22-2003, 09:40 PM   #23

Re: Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason915
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Sting
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing.

Comfort will be first, but I can't stand to drive and I refuse to ever own a vehicle that can't even get out of its own way. Part of the Comfort factor for me is being able to leave everyone behind when I want to, or being able to merge into trafic with ease.

I think that it would be fair to say that a stock 96-8 GT can at least get out of it's own way and merge into traffic...some might disagree possibly though...
Old 10-23-2003, 01:43 AM   #24

Re: Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason915
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Sting
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing.

You shouldn't have any trouble accellerating when necessary or merging into traffic with your stang. It will still be faster than most of those 4 and 6 bangers on the road. So if that is your comfort level than you should be okay Now leaving "everyone" behind will be difficult. There is always somebody faster no matter what you do to your car. And the more you do to your car the less reliable it becomes and perhaps some of the comfort level drops in lieu of speed and performance enhancements. It all depends what you want to do with the car and what purpose it represents to you.

Daily, dependable, comfortable driver.... Don't look any further.
You already got it. But it seems that performance is an issue so do a headswap, add some gears and put a Performance Valve Body in your AODE tranny. Those things will make the car more fun to drive and will apease the performance demands that you put on the car...... at least for a little while
Once the performance bug has bitten you there is no stopping.
It never ends..... Believe me.... I was once where you are now,
happy with a stock stang... That lasted about 2 weeks and the rest is in the sig. And it never stops......

Good Luck
Magnaflow/Magnapack Cat back, HPM Lower Control Arms, Southside Machine Upper Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, Aluminum Flywheel, Blueprinted King Cobra pressure plate with McLeod Dual Friction disk, Pro 5.0 shifter, Latest and Greatest Fordchip.com Tune:
Old 10-23-2003, 02:31 AM   #25

Trader Feedback: (3)

My 97 with mufflers, k&n ran the time in my sig. The 4.10's are going in tomorrow, hoping to see low low 14's with some nice 60ft times.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #26

I love my 97 Gt Vert. its the best car I have ever owned!

Comfort wise, I am not to fond of the seats looking to replace them very soon.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #27

My first time ever at the track was 9.15 @77.9 mph with the mods in sig. And I love my body style of the 96-98s

Kevin
5 spd, MMR Forged ShortBlock, KB 2.1 Intercooled 9# Kit, 04 PI Heads, Shorty Headers, 90mm maf, Steeda Tri-ax, O/R X pipe, centerforce DF,DFX Disc, 4:10s. 365 RWHP 372 RWTQ. Mustang Dyno Tuned
Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #28

You better also indicate that your 9.15@77.9mph is on a 1/8 Mile track Last year I have been on one of those and did a 7.88 at around 89 mph
Old 10-24-2003, 10:16 AM   #29

Hell that anit bad at all for the simple mods that you have.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:41 AM   #30

Damn, something must be rong with my car. I have a 98 GT with the following mods.

CAI
3.73's
Flowmaster mufflers
Tri-Ax shifter

I can not get out of thw 15's if my life depended on it. First time at the track with 3.73's best of 15.762 @88.46 with a 2.522 60' and missed 3rd. Without the gears best of 15.611 @88.42 with a 2.368 60'. I am racing at a track with 2100F elevation,but I still think I should be better than mid 15's. I have only been to the track twice and will be going back on the 7th and hope to get into the 14's. I know my driveing could improve but should I be in the 14's????????/ Thanks
Old 10-29-2003, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue98GT
Damn, something must be rong with my car. I have a 98 GT with the following mods.

CAI
3.73's
Flowmaster mufflers
Tri-Ax shifter

I can not get out of thw 15's if my life depended on it. First time at the track with 3.73's best of 15.762 @88.46 with a 2.522 60' and missed 3rd. Without the gears best of 15.611 @88.42 with a 2.368 60'. I am racing at a track with 2100F elevation,but I still think I should be better than mid 15's. I have only been to the track twice and will be going back on the 7th and hope to get into the 14's. I know my driveing could improve but should I be in the 14's????????/ Thanks
IMO, you should DEFINATELY be in the 14's.....the 98 Gt's have 10 more HP than the 96 and 97 models....keeping that in mind, look at my sig. and at my mods.....your 3.73's alone should far outweigh any and all of my mods in my car which has 10 less HP stock......so yes, something is probably wrong with you car....hope this helps.

Matt

My CarDomain Site
Old 10-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #32

dont listen to the guy above me, because of your elevation you are running really slow. your 15.6 corrected to decent conditions would land you in the high 14s, at around 93mph.

get that 60' down and you could hit 14s and have it printed on your timeslip

more info on my car...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #33

I hope so, I am going back to the track Nov 7th hopeing for 14's or low 15's. BTW what elevation is everyone racing at.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (5)

I think 96 -98 GTs are pretty quick cars
Old 10-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #35
Banned

Thats the last thing I'd call a non PI mod motor. They are "quick" enough to not be the slowest cars on the road, but they will get roasted by anything that is actually "quick".

I've seen 96-98 mustangs get spanked by Neons, Hondas and so on quite frequently...
turbo54 is banned  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement