Need help with replacing spark plugs on 2000 GT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2003, 02:43 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Talking Need help with replacing spark plugs on 2000 GT

Hi. I was trying to replace the spark plugs on my 2000 GT and I had this book from ?Haynes? I got from Advance Auto Parts that shows you how to work on your car and it also shows how to replace spark plugs. Unfortunately, the book is somewhat outdated and I think it shows the older 4.6's and does not do a good job in the explanation so I am thoroughly lost. So will someone direct me thru a spark plug replacement on my car.

I was looking in the engine bay and I see these wires that go into a plastic round piece that say motorcraft on it (there are 8 of these). I had assumed that in that plastic lies the spark plug but when i took the screw that holds the plastic piece and tried to pull on it did not do anything. Also, right next to the round motorcraft plastic piece on every cylinder is an orange and metallic looking piece that has wires going to it also. Is that the knock sensor? At first I thought it was the spark plug . I dont know? Someone please help me with this.
Thanks.
Any help much greatly appreciated.
Superchips chip
X-pipe
Flowmaster 40s
Ignition Solutions ignition system
80 mm MAF (unrestricted)
70 mm TB
C&L intake plenum
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Hi. I was trying to replace the spark plugs on my 2000 GT and I had this book from ?Haynes? I got from Advance Auto Parts that shows you how to work on your car and it also shows how to replace spark plugs. Unfortunately, the book is somewhat outdated and I think it shows the older 4.6's and does not do a good job in the explanation so I am thoroughly lost. So will someone direct me thru a spark plug replacement on my car.
I have the same book.. THey havn't released a book for the 99+'s yet.

Quote:
I see these wires that go into a plastic round piece that say motorcraft on it (there are 8 of these). I had assumed that in that plastic lies the spark plug but when i took the screw that holds the plastic piece and tried to pull on it did not do anything.
Correct, those go to the plugs. If you diconnected the wires & screws, just pull harder, they should pop right out

Quote:
Also, right next to the round motorcraft plastic piece on every cylinder is an orange and metallic looking piece that has wires going to it also.
Injectors and fuel rail.. no need to remove it.

Last edited by DementedGT; 03-07-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Remove the bolts in the coil packs with a 7mm socket. The packs will flex after the bolt is removed and you can pull them right out.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:41 PM   #4

No luck.
I pulled on the Black Motorcraft Round Piece(Coil pack??) after removing the bolt with 7mm socket and had no luck. It would not pull apart. I even tried to move it from side to side. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Superchips chip
X-pipe
Flowmaster 40s
80 mm MAF (unrestricted)
70 mm TB
C&L intake plenum
Old 03-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Lutias
No luck.
I pulled on the Black Motorcraft Round Piece(Coil pack??) after removing the bolt with 7mm socket and had no luck. It would not pull apart. I even tried to move it from side to side. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

stop being a girl and pull it like a man.. I know mine were a lil hard to remove the first tim (last weekend). If you disconnected the wire and unscrewed the coil it should pull out.. dont be afraid.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:21 AM   #6

The orange and metallic looking things with the wires connected to them are the fuel injectors. You don't need to fool with those at all. The parts that you are concerned with are the (black) larger coil packs. Each one has a spark plug boot made onto the bottom of it which protrudes down into an opening in the head. At the bottom of each of these openings is where the spark plugs are located. In some cases (most) after you un-plug the wiring connectors from them, you will have to 'bend' or 'turn' the coil pack in such a way that the top of it will clear the fuel rail (the long, chrome part that is sitting on top of the injectors) as you are pulling up on the coil pack in order to get it out. Be careful how you pull on the coil packs, because the boot on the bottom of it WILL come off if you're not careful and the spring-like wire (inside the boot) that connects the coil to the plug can get damaged because it is made onto the coil.
BTW, why are you replacing the plugs anyway? And which plugs are you planning to use as replacements? Just curious...

P.S. Be VERY careful whenever you are installing the new plugs. The heads on the 4.6 are aluminum, and you can crossthread / strip the threads, or over-tighten the plugs if you aren't careful.

John C.
'99 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja

Last edited by 4rceFed281; 03-08-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #7

I am gonna replace with Denso Iridiums stock heat range. I got them for pretty cheap. So when you are saying be careful pulling on the coil pack how should I be careful? I will try pulling on it again today. It just feels like something is holding it back that I need to disconnect or move out of the way so I havent pulled on it very hard.
Thanks
Superchips chip
X-pipe
Flowmaster 40s
80 mm MAF (unrestricted)
70 mm TB
C&L intake plenum
Old 03-08-2003, 09:49 AM   #8

Click on "How tos" and then on "Spark plug changing":

http://www.svtlightnings.com/

The above shows you the coil pack/boot relationship.

Btw, get a tube of dielectirc grease(NAPA, etc.) and put a 'glob' on the opening of the boot before pushing the boot back onto the newly installed plug. This special grease will make it easier to remove the boot next time and will keep moisture away.

Here is even more detail on changing plugs:

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightnin...parkplugs.html

Dan
12.531@108.69 on 02/01/03 at SDR--2001 Silver Lightning. Dynoed: 401.9/502.1 on 01/20/03--SAE corrected. 5 lb pulley, chip, filter, Royal Purple #11(5w20) Synthetic Racing oil, etc.

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 03-08-2003 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:36 PM   #9

ok. so I got the coil pack off and that spring looking thing inside also. Now I dont have any leverage to remove the plugs and in some places it looks like there is no room. Also, do i need to put the spring back on the plug in a certain way or can i just put the spring + plastic casing on and put the bolt.
Thanks
Superchips chip
X-pipe
Flowmaster 40s
80 mm MAF (unrestricted)
70 mm TB
C&L intake plenum
Old 03-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (2)

well...

...if your seeing the spring from the COPs, its done..you will need ahother...they are frail and easly damaged....try spraying them wth WD-40, CRC 556...

Randy
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #11

i replaced my plugs 4 months ago, took me an hour. i ended up taking the bolts out of the fuel rail just to get a little more maneuvering room. i used a 3/8" ratchet with a long swivel end extension (not a universal) and a spark plug socket. had to really work those coils out, i think the spring even came out of one, all it really does is act as a spark (or electricity) conductor for the spark plug, i slid the spring back into the boot, replaced the plug, put the coil back in, bolted it all back down and fired it up. checked for leaks (remember i unbolted the fuel rails, didn't remove them) and not a single problem. that grease thing is a good idea, wish i'd done that.

former 00 GT owner (gone but not forgotten)
Old 03-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #12

damn...I am glad I have a 98 GT...replacing the spark plugs is much easier
Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for yourall's help. I went on Howstuffworks.com and looked up what the he** a COP is, I didnt understand what the coil pack meant . I was able to pull the coil packs off with ease once I knew I wasnt tearing anything up. The hardest part was reaching some of those plugs cause they were at awkward places and I had to move the intake out of the way for one and had to use 2 to 3 extenders in line to clear the wires. All in all it took me about 2 hours but could have been done sooner if I knew what had to be done. I used the grease to stop the threads from messing up. That was a good idea.
Once again thanks for everyone's help.
Superchips chip
X-pipe
Flowmaster 40s
80 mm MAF (unrestricted)
70 mm TB
C&L intake plenum
Old 03-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #14

I removed the fuel rails to do mine, made it alot easier. you can use the fuel rail bolts to hold the rails out of the way, just push the rails back, put the bolts back in ( a few threads), and let the fuel rails rest against the bolts (hope that makes sense). ford did not use anti-seize; so make sure you change your plugs with the engine cold. use anti-seize on the new plugs, also put some silicon (di-electric grease) on the boots. that way next time you change/check the plugs, every thing will come out nice and easy.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #15

Please tell me you used some compressed air and blew all the dust, dirt and gravel out from around the spark plug after you pulled the coil pack off. The new 4.6s are now famous for their ability to collect a small playground worth of particles inside the hole around the spark plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement