Ford Mustang Forums banner

Recommend some decent mods for a new-to-me 02 GT

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  wantabe351 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 02 GT with only 106k miles for a song, it so far has a centerforce clutch, long tubes, BBK high flow cats, x pipe, Flowmaster cat backs, CAI.

I'm setting myself a budget of about $1,000-$1,500 for some goodies in the engine bay. I'm thinking a set of decent cams, valve springs if needed, tensioner/guides, maybe a TB and intake. Maybe all of the above in some sort of kit?

I plan on DDing the car, I drive 4 hours a day for work, so I'm not after a track monster. Just something to make commuting suck less.

Any recommendations would be great, with links! Thanks!

#2 ·
Subframe connectors and a tune - makes the car a lot more rigid and the tune will increase throttle response and extract a couple dozen horsepower, particularly with long tubes already on there. Cams will give you a few more ponies; TB and intake really won't as they are not much of a restriction for these cars.

#3 ·
Unfortunately these motors don't respond all that great to basic boltons. If it doesn't already have a 3.55 or 3.73 gear, that would probably be the first thing I did. I wouldn't go too crazy with the amount of daily you do on it. Larger cams may get old quick as well with that mount of driving. Other than that probably some connectors and lower control arms, sticky tires, and like mentioned a reputable tune.

#4 ·
On a daily driver that you do not plan to take to the track I would skip cams. It seems like drivability is a major concern for you- the small hp gain is not worth the drivability loss (stuttering, idle, startup etc). Keep your stock cams- they offer great daily drivability.

I absolutely would spend every dime on making your car drive better. These three items fit your budget and would sharpen your handling without compromising ride height / drivability. You will need to find a shop to weld the subframe connectors but otherwise you can install everything yourself.
1) chassis stiffening is essential and makes the car feel like one piece:
Chassis Brace Package, 1998-04 Mustang HT, GT
2) your shocks/struts are shot. The bilsteins are worth their price.
1987-04 Bilstein HD series Damper Package, solid-axle Mustang
Don't forget the quads! Quad Shock, 1986-2004 solid-axle V8 Mustang axle damper, each (24-021494)
3) you probably don't realize how loose your steering is- put these two things on and your steering will feel amazing / precise:
Steering Shaft Assembly, Power Steering Rack, 1994-04 Mustang
Steering Rack Bushings, Solid, 1985-04 Mustang with stock k-member

Reactions: Fat Strat Mann
#7 ·
Forget the cams. Definitely forget the manifold.

A tune if it doesn't already have something (SCT)

RAR change

Maybe a ported plenum and slightly larger TB

The suspension mods are also a good idea.

#11 ·
I went with Steeda springs and Koni shocks/struts(Gabriel for the quad shock).Night and day difference on a 100k mile car.Mine is a vert so it already has a stiffer frame.

Gears(3.55) if you do a lot of highway driving)and a tune.

Shifter is a solid upgrade.

Steeda underdrive pullies if you want a little extra.

Control arms are great but you may not need them on the street.If you aren't wheel hopping you may not need them.

I did a plenum and 70 mm TB on mine cause I got them both on sale.May not make much difference but my automatic needs all the help it can get.

#13 ·
Dont do the cams, go for gears 3:55 or 3;73 and keep it in stock mode if you get a Programer for the gears, this way you can still use Reg fuel/ save some money if a DD....I did the Stage1 Cams and wish I just did the SC a little later instead, my thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.