Update (more power) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Update (more power)

I have a 15 year old set-up, and I want to get some more power. Bottom is forged with H beams and 17cc dished pistons. Heads/cams and intake are stock with a 80mm L MAF.

I also added an Innovators West 10% od crank pulley so I'm making about 11lbs boost from the old P-1SC that came with an Autologic chip, which is what the motor is tuned with.

I'm thinking about getting heads, cams and something like an SCT Big Air 2600 or 3000
and a tune/hand held.

I called a local tuner, briefly discussed these things, till I mentioned passing smog and he said cams are a no-go with Oregon DEQ. All that they do at the smog station is connect to the OBDII port and check codes.

What do you guys think I should do with about 5 Grand and being that I'm making around 390HP how much will I make.

Tropic Green Y2K GT
P-1SC, MM Stuff (393rwhp/390rwtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Turbo?

post #3 of 17 Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnson02 View Post
Turbo?
Hahahahaha! Run the smaller (38cc) tfs heads with it to raise compression a bit. I've got those pistons and found it later it would take a bunch of boost to fill that cylinder.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
38cc TF heads and custom grind blower cams would really wake the car up from stock heads/cams...probably 80+rwhp

1997 Mustang GT
1997 Mustang GT: New build under construction - Trick Flow head, turbo cam, 76mm turbo coming soon
post #5 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Hahahahaha! Run the smaller (38cc) tfs heads with it to raise compression a bit. I've got those pistons and found it later it would take a bunch of boost to fill that cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stanger97 View Post
38cc TF heads and custom grind blower cams would really wake the car up from stock heads/cams...probably 80+rwhp
OK, I have ARP bolts, so head gaskets and slap those heads on? I mean, just like stock heads, nothing else needed to change heads?

I need to call the tuner guy back regarding the cams, cause I'm not sure why they would not pass a code scan smog test. I'd really like to get 80+

And I left out that the charger is intercooled and a blow-thru.(that 80mm Lightning sensor)
Also have a Stealth 340 pump and a BAP.

Tropic Green Y2K GT
post #6 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Look into Modular Head Shop heads. I am running there STG3 heads with Houston Performance 292S cams. Which are regrinds. The heads flow right at about what the TF heads flow for not nearly as much, sve some money put it elsewhere. The cams are blower cam design and I am running a procharger D1 w/ stg 2 intercooler. Also think about going to a slot style 05+ MAF relocated in your pipe prior to the T/B. HPX is good. I am running the HPX-E which gives me more range. Also I am running the Snow STG 2 water/meth. Im looking at getting around 20psi and close or at 700HP at tires. Good luck
post #7 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwaystar View Post
OK, I have ARP bolts, so head gaskets and slap those heads on? I mean, just like stock heads, nothing else needed to change heads?

I need to call the tuner guy back regarding the cams, cause I'm not sure why they would not pass a code scan smog test. I'd really like to get 80+

And I left out that the charger is intercooled and a blow-thru.(that 80mm Lightning sensor)
Also have a Stealth 340 pump and a BAP.
Correct, they are an aftermarket 2v production head, so no other changes needed to block or manifold/valve covers at all. There are many other benefits to the TF heads that PI don't offer too. More threads for spark plugs (I had to have my MMR stage 3 PI heads had timeserts put in and that was $400 alone and still not nearly the amount of thread that my TF heads have), TF heads have offset valve/retainers so you have WAY more PTV clearance and not as much of a worry with running into contact issues even though with blower grinds you probably wouldn't really have that anyway. I haven't seen any companies "stage whatever" head even come close to flow/velocity that the TF heads produce. Even my MMR "stage 3" setup on paper claimed "x" "x" flows on intake/exhaust but MMR themselves said I would easily see 60+rwhp from just swapping to out of the box TF heads. There is more to it than what a company writes down on a spec sheet that the head flows intake and exhaust. I would do your research and talk to CMS, MHS, MMR, TF, etc and every one will recommend TF heads for maximum performance. For example, I just went on MHS website and he offers an entire PI head/cam package for $3,000. His TF head/cam package is $600 more....its a no brainer

1997 Mustang GT
1997 Mustang GT: New build under construction - Trick Flow head, turbo cam, 76mm turbo coming soon
post #8 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I just went on MHS website and he offers an entire PI head/cam package for $3,000. His TF head/cam package is $600 more....its a no brainer
Thanks! The worked over heads and all the included hardware makes that a really good looking deal.

Not too sure what the degree service consists of though, in my mind I'm thinking of getting a degree wheel and harbor freight meter to dial them in myself.

But, I am still worried about passing DEQ so I'll have to call Excessive, to see if they sell the heads with no cams.

Should stock cams be degreed on these heads? Do they need adjustable cam gears to get the most power?

Tropic Green Y2K GT
post #9 of 17 Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ROUSH View Post
Look into Modular Head Shop heads. I am running there STG3 heads with Houston Performance 292S cams. Which are regrinds. The heads flow right at about what the TF heads flow for not nearly as much, sve some money put it elsewhere. The cams are blower cam design and I am running a procharger D1 w/ stg 2 intercooler. Also think about going to a slot style 05+ MAF relocated in your pipe prior to the T/B. HPX is good. I am running the HPX-E which gives me more range. Also I am running the Snow STG 2 water/meth. Im looking at getting around 20psi and close or at 700HP at tires. Good luck
I doubt the heads flow as good as out of the box tfs.
Also with trick flow heads you need trick flow specific cams. So make sure if you go that route you get cams specifically for the tf heads
post #10 of 17 Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Also with trick flow heads you need trick flow specific cams. So make sure if you go that route you get cams specifically for the tf heads
Where do you get that from?

Some of the distributor web sites say right on them that they will except OEM cams.

Tropic Green Y2K GT
post #11 of 17 Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwaystar View Post
Quote:
Where do you get that from?

Some of the distributor web sites say right on them that they will except OEM cams.
When buying cams, you just need to notify whoever you are purchasing them from that they are TF heads. They will grind them appropriate. MHS and CMS are aware of this and I'm sure any other big name in the game by now
post #12 of 17 Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Most definitely degree the cams regardless of where you get them from.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM

It has to do with the tf heads having the intake valve in a different location. As stated wny reputable cam designer is aware of this
post #14 of 17 Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 PM

https://www.lmengines.com/trick-flow...er-head-issue/

1997 Mustang GT
post #15 of 17 Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Now I see LOL

I called a local dyno shop just now, he said all the cam/head combos for the TWs they have tuned do not pass emission, and he didn't know of any cams that would pass.

Being he's in WA. I reiterated that the OR. DEQ test just checks OBDII

I guess some codes can't be seen by a cheep hand held, or something, so according to him, after several run cycles, there will be a CEL. The DEQ can see the initial codes?

I need more info, and I will call MHS tomorrow cause the stage one blower combo looks real good.

Tropic Green Y2K GT
post #16 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
As long as it's tuned properly, should be no reason not to pass a simple ODB2 code check with mild cams. The only monitor that will give you fits as far as emissions testing with cams is usually the misfire, and there are ways to program that so it still functions, just will never detect anything. If the car has catalytic converters and EGR still, shouldn't have to mess with any of the other checks.

Bunch of new stuff lol.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Any info from what MHS said. Just curious. I am really happy with my STG 3's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement