Crown vic 4.6 swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Crown vic 4.6 swap

Hi, i recently spun a bearing in my 01 mustang and i have been searching for a motor. I was hoping to see if anyone can tell me what all has to be done to put in an 01-04 crown vic motor into an 01 mustang. Both motors are PI and as far as i know only the TB and plenum need to be changed, but is there anything else? Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

They're pretty much the same motor so it'll drop right in. The headers might be different as well as the TB and plenum.

Just get the CV and carry that stuff over from your old engine. You'll need your GT Engine harness too.

post #3 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
exhaust manifolds are different for sure .

crown vic police interceptor
5.4 2V N/A 390rwhp 385rwtq 5 speed manual
13.0 @ 105 60' 1.8 full weight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhZ8s6xn1g

post #4 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

What about the pulleys or any pumps, oil pan?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Garage
Pan would be the same pulleys should be the same . If you both have a single bolt tensioner it should be atleast. If one or the other you may need to swap timing covers. As long as you have both engines you should be good. Some things may differ aswell if you have a windsor and the crown vic is a romeo - valve covers would be different and one or the other will either have a 6 bolt or 8 bolt crank.

98 Cobra_stock bs/exhaust [SOLD]
2000 s/c gt, 511rwh 450rwtq [SOLD]
1995 331 Turbo Gt, 420rwhp 498rwtq

1998Gt , PI SWAP + Bolts ons (Build in Progress)
post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well both motors are PI, so all i have to switch over is the plenum, TB, use mustang manifolds.. will i lose any power seeing as its a crown vic motor
post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef814 View Post
Well both motors are PI, so all i have to switch over is the plenum, TB, use mustang manifolds.. will i lose any power seeing as its a crown vic motor
I cant tell if the 01 mustangs are windsor but the 4.6in the vic is a romeo for sure. So get the right flexplate or flywheel.
you wont lose any power as long as the engine is in good condition .

post #8 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98snakehorse View Post
Pan would be the same pulleys should be the same . If you both have a single bolt tensioner it should be atleast. If one or the other you may need to swap timing covers. As long as you have both engines you should be good. Some things may differ aswell if you have a windsor and the crown vic is a romeo - valve covers would be different and one or the other will either have a 6 bolt or 8 bolt crank.
All the crown vics had the 6 bolt, and my 01 GT also had the 6 bolt, so he should be fine there. AFAIK the forged 8 bolt crank was only used in the 4v 4.6s.

Quote:
The crown vic and the Mustang used the exact same engine. Any difference in HP was probably from the exhaust and/or tune, neither of which you'll be carrying over. The only things that you'll definitely need to use from the old engine is your wiring harness, plenum/TB, and your headers. Everything else that may be slightly different will bolt right onto the new engine from your old one, so don't worry too much about it.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Alright sounds good, and what about the timing chain cover? would i have to exchange for mine? i've read where some are saying to change it out due to pulleys or something, i cant remember
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 PM

It should be the same. If the pulley's are different, then swapping them is pretty easy and should only take about 10 minutes or less, since both engines will be out anyway. It's just a matter of unbolting it, and pulling it off. Just make sure you put RTV silicone at the corners where the timing cover and block meet the valve covers and oil pan.

If the only difference is the belt tensioner pulley, then those can be swapped by removing the one bolt that holds them on, without needing to pull the timing covers.

post #11 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

what about the town car, grand marquise 4.6 motors? Are they PI and if so what years
post #12 of 16 Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 AM

I believe they all used the same engine during any given year, so any 01+.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
what about the town car, grand marquise 4.6 motors? Are they PI and if so what years
PI motors started in 2001 for the crown vic but had timing guide issue until 2003 .your best bet is an 04+ motor with the revised spark plugs thread

post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the info. I managed to purchase an 01 gt 4.6 with 49k miles for 850, but whats making me curious is the oil cap. on my motor it says 5w30, and on the new one it says 5w20. The dipsticks are also different. any ideas?
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Oil weight was changed by Ford. Run full synthetic 5w-20 and a motorcraft filter and youll be good to go.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I did this swap in my 51 For pickup that is a pro-touring build. I went from a 96 mustang 4.6 to a 2006 crown vic 4.6 The crown vic engine didn't have the oil cooler so that freed up some space. It was a flex fuel engine so I used the plenum and t.b. from the mustang. I used the mustang injectors that matched the maf from the mustang. I had to purchase a different belt tensioner and swap cam and crank sensors because of different plugs. At that time I converted to cop also. I was already using crown vic exhaust manifolds because of where the outlets were. I had to drill the intake crossover for another temp sensor because of the earlier harness. The pans were the same except for the low oil sensor which I just unhooked the wire from. I swapped upper water outlets because of my hose location. That's all I remember. They were both 6 bolt flywheels. The oil ratings are only changed because of cafe ratings. If you run your engine for long periods in warm and hot weather, you will have more protection with the 30 wt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04946 (Small).JPG (85.3 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread