Why does my driver side window not roll down in extreme heat? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Why does my driver side window not roll down in extreme heat?

Okay, I'm starting to get a little irritated by my driver's side window. It decides not to roll down in the extreme heat. What gives? I get in the car and I don't have the opportunity to let the interior cool down a little after it sits in the hot sun. Anyone else have this issue? Solutions??? Once it cools down, then it's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Consider that the Mustang's power windows are controlled by a automatic reset circuit breaker. There is a CB in the battery junction box under the hood and there is also a CB in the window motor itself.

A CB can sometimes be affected by heat. IE, very high heat may make a CB trip at a lower point. However, I think the CB is just bad.

If only the driver's window has the problem, then likely the CB in the engine bay is OK.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Thanks. Is there any way to simply "test" the condition of the circuit breaker in the window motor before just replacing it?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

Does it not roll down at all, or does it roll down partway and get stuck?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #5

It won't roll down at all actually.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (8)

My 04' did this if left parked in the driveway with the sun beating on the drivers side door all day...I was told by a Ford mechanic that the power window motors will do that when they are going bad. I owned that car for 3yrs and never had a problem if it was parked in the garage. It never failed and never slowed down going up or anything like that...I did notice that sometimes if it acted up I could slam the door closed and it would start working again LoL So I'm not sure if it is a sign of a motor going out...but I do know that not all Mustangs do that. So something must be wrong with the motor....
Sold And Gone
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (9)

^^^^^^^^ my first Bullitt did that three or four times over the years. 145k.

Bullitt #2 has done it once in 50k.

Both are still on the stock motor.

Slam the door while holding the switch always worked.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (7)

Had this happened to me till it finally just quit working. There is a circuit breaker under the dash in the fuse box. Changed that, and started working right away.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Thought I was the only one with that problem. It only happens when going through taco bell though.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (15)

My passenger window is doing this to me also. It only happened after I had been broken into so I thought it was the window regulator. Or maybe the motor not wanting to work in the heat. Its odd because when it gets into the 60s it works fine. Anything hotter and it wont budge.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (8)

My passenger window will not roll down or up from driver side 95% of the time. Passenger side switch works fine. Replaced the switch on the driver side and no change. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

easy fix...while holding down the window button put a little pressure on the window with your hand and push down. Always works for me
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerripkdc View Post
easy fix...while holding down the window button put a little pressure on the window with your hand and push down. Always works for me
Tried that. Did nothing. Switches work fine and it rolls down fine when it wants to. But it just needs to be a cool day with all the planets lined up for it to work. I keep it up even after i check if its temporarily working. Im afraid it will get stuck in a position other than all the way up.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtfromky View Post
My passenger window will not roll down or up from driver side 95% of the time. Passenger side switch works fine. Replaced the switch on the driver side and no change. Any ideas?
There's a break in one of the wires. Had the same problem a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1999 Black 35th Anniversary Edition GT #2803/4628 (wrecked. waiting on the money tree to grow)

2001 True Blue "V6" (semi-sleeper junk box with a drive train and interior swap)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #15

Any updates to speak of? Im thinking of replacing the whole motor/ regulator assembly.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (11)

I was told by a Ford Mechanic that there was an issue with the first gen window motors in these cars. If you hit the door about where the motor is, it should start working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement