99-04' Headlight install and comparison - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (0)

99-04' Headlight install and comparison

99-04 Mustang Headlight Install and Comparison

It is a known fact that 99-04 Mustang headlights fade and begin to look pretty ugly over time. If you have been thinking about replacing your 99-04 Mustang headlights, we did some of the leg work for you. We took the 4 most popular headlight kits we offer and installed them for a comparison. To further help you we walked you through the extremely easy install for the headlights. Check out the blog and let me know what you think.

tony.messina@latemodelrestoration.com
Toll Free 1-866-507-3786 - M-F 8am-8pm CST
Click here for the forum discount!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (15)

I think its funny that people call the 01-04 headlights smoked. The lens is clear, the chrome reflective surface is untinted chrome. Its just the black bouncing around in there that makes it seem darker as it hits the chrome reflective surface. Just saying. Chrome and black are a better description.

Id like to see those non Ford aftermarket headlight housings put to a fitment test. I keep hearing about the weather strip not lining up right and condensation issues.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordford View Post
I think its funny that people call the 01-04 headlights smoked. The lens is clear, the chrome reflective surface is untinted chrome. Its just the black bouncing around in there that makes it seem darker as it hits the chrome reflective surface. Just saying. Chrome and black are a better description.

Id like to see those non Ford aftermarket headlight housings put to a fitment test. I keep hearing about the weather strip not lining up right and condensation issues.
we list the 01-04' headlights as tinted and yes, the OEM lights typically are a better fitting part than the reproduction lights but are more expensive:

OEM 2001-2004 Mustang Headlights

Last edited by Tony@Latemodel; 05-23-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (15)

I was merely saying that its funny that the 01-04 is dubbed a tinted headlight housing when its just a kind of optical illusion.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

I have the dark smoked headlights. The fitment on these were fine. In fact they are great during the day. My problem is i stepped up to silverlight bulbs and they still suck at night. The light in your picture is MUCH brighter than mine is. What bulbs do you suggest?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (12)

i was eyballing the light smoked ones. i didnt see any cust. pics though
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannycar View Post
i was eyballing the light smoked ones. i didnt see any cust. pics though
Here's mine

Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

Now you have the darkest ones correct? im looking at the middle ones hahh
but car looks good!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Now you have the darkest ones correct? im looking at the middle ones hahh
but car looks good!
thanks!

yes i believe I have what the LM rep calls "Extreme" but what the AM website currently refers to as "dark":

Dark Smoked Mustang Headlights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Again, I had no problems with the fit of mine. They do look awesome in the daylight for sure. My issue, which hasn't been answered, is what bulb are they using. I can tell you i have silverstars and i still can't see ####. My next choice is to maybe step up to silverstar ultra's. That's why i wanted to know what they were using in those photographs. I can tell you they sure as hell aren't using OEM's.

Anyway, be aware that if you go darker than stock you are going to need to go brighter in headlight bulbs. I don't drive mine much at night and i'm gonna step up to silverstars in the fog lights as well to see if that will help a little.

Last edited by 02mingryGT; 05-25-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: factually incorrect statement.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02mingryGT View Post
I have the dark smoked headlights. The fitment on these were fine. In fact they are great during the day. My problem is i stepped up to silverlight bulbs and they still suck at night. The light in your picture is MUCH brighter than mine is. What bulbs do you suggest?
are you using the ultra white silverstars? if not that is what i would recommend. otherwise you could also use HID's.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@Latemodel View Post
are you using the ultra white silverstars? if not that is what i would recommend. otherwise you could also use HID's.

No i'm using the base silverlights. I will go to the ultra white's. Thanks Tony. Appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (20)

Quote:
will HID's get to hot and mess up the light housing?
MMR 4.75 se stroker bullet oil pump 9:1 compression notched pistions MMR stage 3 turbo cams, livernois stage 3 heads ARP everything cricle D triple disk 3800 stall 6pt cage full adj suspension just a street car
xbox: mcraven420
Lookin for 9's
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #13

I've been running HID's for 2 years now without any issues. The set I bought were direct fitment. No cutting or hacking. Lol
Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (3)

Garage
Love these headlights. They fit pretty well! I've had the smoked set for about 2 1/2 years now. I run HID's. Only thing, I had to sand and re clear my headlights because the clear was chipping off. But still very pleased with these lights.

2014 Oxford White GT - Track pack and Recaro Seats, Currently in production
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown2V View Post
I've been running HID's for 2 years now without any issues. The set I bought were direct fitment. No cutting or hacking. Lol
what brand?
I guess I be reading tomuch on the net lol
MMR 4.75 se stroker bullet oil pump 9:1 compression notched pistions MMR stage 3 turbo cams, livernois stage 3 heads ARP everything cricle D triple disk 3800 stall 6pt cage full adj suspension just a street car
xbox: mcraven420
Lookin for 9's
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (2)

HIDs actually run cooler then regular halogen bulbs. DDMtuning.com has the cheapest kits out there, they're also one of the best unless you want to go for a true retrofit.
1999 Black 35th Anniversary Edition GT #2803/4628 (wrecked. waiting on the money tree to grow)

2001 True Blue "V6" (semi-sleeper junk box with a drive train and interior swap)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #17

Any clear corner lights look good IMO. I got these a while back and they look mean during the day and still provide good lighting at night even without HIDs. They fit well and the price is right.

Dark Smoked Mustang Headlights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

That comparison is great and would've saved me a lot of time in choosing the right lights.

Last edited by philly123; 06-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #18

Garage
Thanks for the link Tony, my original lights are getting quite ugly and I've been considering what to do. I like the tinted housings but have seen some as posted here already that are just a bit too dark even with the better bulbs and it's good to see the side-by-side pics.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #19

How much darker is the xtreme comPared to the reg smoked tony?
If I was reading your site correctly, they clearly state off road use only? Not for dot use?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (13)

I just ordered the factory smoked Monday can't wait to get them on. I met a coulpe of you're guys handing out shirts at Mustang Week. Nice people.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB94GT View Post
I just ordered the factory smoked Monday can't wait to get them on. I met a coulpe of you're guys handing out shirts at Mustang Week. Nice people.
thanks! i was probably one of those guys as i was out there both days handing out shirts in that heat! it was an awesome week and i had a great time!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #22

Are those street legal tony?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
LTD

Trader Feedback: (2)

These are the cheap $65/pair lights off ebay..

The bulbs that came with them stunk, but the OEM bulbs from Ford work fine.
The lenses do focus the light a bit in the middle (has a 'brighter spot' dead ahead on the road)
but in general they light the roadway well, and for the money make the car look 100 times better
than with the faded, fogged lenses that were on there. The fitment was perfect as well..

Do the LR lights have a more OEM pattern to the lights on the road?

Laser Red 2000 GT<- sold

Last edited by LTD; 07-25-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Are those street legal tony?
the only requirement is that they have amber reflectors which these do, if a light does not have the amber reflector then they would not be legal.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #25

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
the only requirement is that they have amber reflectors which these do, if a light does not have the amber reflector then they would not be legal.
mine do not have the amber reflectors, the reflectors are clear on my aftermarket set, when the head lights are on, the clear reflectors have an amber light reflecting off of them, and when the turn signal is on there is an amber light flashing in the corner of the head lights, depending on laws by state would you say mine are still legal because i still have amber turn signals?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 SN95 GT View Post
mine do not have the amber reflectors, the reflectors are clear on my aftermarket set, when the head lights are on, the clear reflectors have an amber light reflecting off of them, and when the turn signal is on there is an amber light flashing in the corner of the head lights, depending on laws by state would you say mine are still legal because i still have amber turn signals?
they should be but you will have to check on your states law.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement