Turbo/automatic Bullitt build thread - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #36

Trader Feedback: (8)

ES series. I was pretty happy with how well they went along with the stock stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #37

Well, I got home from California late last night and had a couple of little parts waiting on me...

(Don't mind Manny, he's my roommate... he likes to party)

I have another package on hold at fedex that I need to go pick up and my intake is finally on its way here after being on back order for the past month. My heads are currently all apart getting some pac-1514 springs, supercar rockers and lifters, every spark plug hole is getting a time-sert, milled from when it was trying to push the head gasket, new exhaust valve and all of the seats cleaned up. Now that I'm home, I'm going to pull all of the hydroboost off of the car, install the new master cylinder and start working on routing the brake lines.

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #38

Trader Feedback: (53)

Open the ####ing boxes and take pictures damn it.
2001 Mustang GT Bullitt (terminated) #2793
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #39

lol Here's what was waiting on me at Fedex...

More pics to come.

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #40

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #41

Trader Feedback: (7)

Lol @ Manny. He just likes to party.

Nice parts bro. The car should fly.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #42

Made a little progress today.

I took the brake pedal assembly out as well. Going to modify the brake pedal for manual brakes tomorrow. I pulled a few of the brake lines off the car after these pictures and some other misc stuff as well.

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #43

Trader Feedback: (20)

so who partys harder you or Manny? is that the new on3 kit?
MMR 4.75 se stroker bullet oil pump 9:1 compression notched pistions MMR stage 3 turbo cams, livernois stage 3 heads ARP everything cricle D triple disk 3800 stall 6pt cage full adj suspension just a street car
xbox: mcraven420
Lookin for 9's
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #44

I like that you upgraded to a turbonetics turbo
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #45

lol According to last night, I party harder... woo wee! haha Yes it is the new on3 kit.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #46

Manny usually rocks, but he was pretty laid back last night...scares most people when they walk in the house. Can't believe I missed the build thread about the car in the garage outside.

Last edited by slo284; 03-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #47

Got a little bit more done today.

Here is where I modified the pedal for manual brakes, this is to change the geometry of the pedal so that it is easier to push. Just ground the welds down, punched the pin out, drilled a new hole for it and welded it back up.

The switch that attaches to the side of the pedal would bottom out with the new pin location, so I had to move it as well. The original mounting hole is down and to the left.

I got the manual master cylinder and adapter plate from UPR. It looks nice but it is dumb... and I'll tell ya why. The factory brake pedal cage has a stud that is welded on that faces outwards through the fire wall. Well the adapter plate has 4 studs that go through the firewall. That obviously doesn't work unless you want to tear the #### out of that cage to get that stud out. Instead, I took it over to a friend's house and we drilled the threads out and machined that spot down so I could put the nut on that stud.

Got it put on the car, worked great with it machined like that.

Put the master cylinder on there, looks so much better without all of that hydroboost crap.

And then I ran into the next snag with that adapter plate. This wouldn't happen if you didn't modify your pedal correctly and just bolted it on... but that's just not okay. If they would have moved the master cylinder up on the plate, this wouldn't happen.

That's all the further up that rod will go. So now I have to pull it back off and dog leg the rod so that it will still work the brake switch correctly, be the right length and still attach to the pin on the pedal. I don't have a vice so this is something I'll have to do tomorrow or something.

That's all for today!

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #48

Did some detailing in the engine bay yesterday.

We saved what we could... it was so bad. I don't know what was all over it, but it was awful. You can see what I mean in this old picture.

Aside from that... I have my pedal and master cylinder assembly at a friend's house. Might just machine a new adapter plate since the one from UPR is such a joke. Either that or modify the rod, which I'm not too hip on. Not sure. I think the heads are going to be done soon, which will start the process of putting the motor back together and getting it all painted and such. Haven't pinned down what I'm going to do for colors yet, but it'll look good.

Progress has been slow because I have been working with a local chassis builder tearing the cage out of a chassis car and putting all new stuff in it, been taking up pretty much all of my time. I'll be back at it very soon though.

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #49

Trader Feedback: (0)

that is so very impressive stuff you got going on there... pretty amazing man
03 Termi Wheels with 315 nt555r's, 4.10 gears, sct tuner, Brenspeed Custom Tune, JLT True Cold Air Intake, Trickflow 75mm t/b and Plenum, Mac Longtube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, Borla Stinger Catback, Steeda Lowering Springs, and Mach 1 Chin Spoiler.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #50

Thanks!

Let me start this with saying the UPR "bolt in" manual brake conversion is an absolute joke if you want to do it right. I should have just built my own stuff and not tried to take the easy way out. The problem with it is... it's all designed around somebody to not know a dang thing about what they are doing. If you want to just bolt it on, not modify your brake pedal for the correct amount of leverage and want the brake pedal to feel like you're trying to push a rock through concrete, this is the setup for you... after you machine the block to accept the stud in your factory pedal assembly that is. However, if you don't want your brakes to work/feel like crap, this is the solution that I came to.

Just to refresh your memory...

Right off the bat, I realized that I wouldn't be able to bolt the adapter plate on the car because it used 4 studs and the factory pedal assembly has 1 stud welded in place with a spacer and some other nonsense. So, my solution for that was to drill out the hole and counterbore the plate so that I could put a nut on the stud.

After moving the pin on the pedal to increase leverage...

And moving this sensor up so that it wouldn't bottom out with the pedal pushed in...

I encountered this problem. The rod wasn't even close to being able to attach to the pin on the pedal.

That's when it started getting interesting. I could either bend the rod a couple of times and extend it or I could try to do it correctly. Well, I'm not much on half assing anything... so I did this instead.

First off, moved the mounting point for the master cylinder up so that the rod would be in line with the new pin location.

Pulled the master cylinder apart so that I could work on shortening the rod now that the master cylinder was in the right spot. It was fun trying to figure out how to get the snap ring out of that thing, lemme tell ya.

Now with the whole assembly out, I could break it down as far as I could possibly figure out how to. Notice you can see where the rod had already been cut apart and welded and then ground down.

I measured how far off the rod was from the pin, center to center, subtracted the thickness of the firewall sheet metal and then cut that much out of the center of the rod.

Beveled the rods, put everything together with some clamps and the vice and started tigging it back together.

All finished, getting ready to paint it.

Got it painted, threw it all together and boom, it went together like butter.

Then I went on to address the brake switch now that it was higher in the assembly. I cut the welds on the tube that the clutch pedal went through and had to cut away some of the cage in front of the pedal to give the switch free range of motion.

Here you can see how much of a gap is under the master cylinder since I moved it up. Nobody will probably ever notice it... but I'd much rather my brakes work correctly than not have that gap under the block. Eventually I might just make a new block, more than likely.

Putting it in the car... notice the precision stud lengths. Thanks UPR!

Success!

And what the engine bay currently looks like.

Far cry from where I started lol

It was way more of a pain in the ass than I initially expected... but thankfully it's all done. Next up, brake lines. Heads are milled and fixed up, just waiting for the new exhaust valves come in. I ordered a GoPro HD Hero 2 in anticipation of getting this thing done yesterday too =D

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Thanks for lookin!

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 02-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #51

Nice update, when I do my engine build next winter I am doing the wire tuck. looks so much better.
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #52

Can't wait til this thing moves under its own power again. Next time you're out there and need something to do that white car's brakes are all out there ready to go on.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #53

Little update. Was going to wait a few more days but screw it.

I've never made brake lines before, or bent any tubing smaller than 1.5"... so this was a little new to me and pretty awkward at first.

Here was my first attempt at seeing where I could go.

I thought that looked like crap, so I scrapped it and tried again.

I finished running the lines to the front brakes save 2 fittings that I'm still waiting for. I'm going to put the back lines together like a fox body, T-ing them on the middle of the rear end. I'll take pics once it's all done.

I should have my heads back at the end of this week. I was loaned a pair of bare heads to throw on the motor for mock up so I could get an idea of what to do with colors and so I could work on the harness.

My makeshift table to start pulling the harness apart lol

Graduated to a big boy table.

After extending a bunch of wires and shortening some, got the passenger side on and got an idea of modifications I needed to make from there.

You can't tell any difference, but there was a lot of work between those pictures and these lol

Got the passenger side all finished up, started on the driver's side. You can see on the driver's side that half the stuff doesn't reach, everything needs extended still. I also need to pull all of the plugs out of the harness that went to the frps, egr and that jazz.

After looking at it more, I am going to strip all of the tape off of the passenger side and depin the plugs and heat shrink all of that stuff. Soooo still lots of work ahead of me on the harness, a little bit of work left on the brakes. Thanks for looking!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #54

Garage
Hey sorry if i missed it wat kind of upper plenum (elbow) is that it looks sick i have a 01 five speed with the on 3 kit everything fit very nicely so far
Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #55

It's the elbow from 6061.com
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #56

lookin pretty dope.
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #57

Looks fast.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #58

Well, I got started on heat shrinking stuff. Looks so much better than the tape.

Ran out of heat shrink, so I'm gonna run to the store today and get some more. Going to take the alternator apart, pull the timing cover and the water pump off and paint them all satin black.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #59

that looks real good with the wires tucked
MMR 4.75 se stroker bullet oil pump 9:1 compression notched pistions MMR stage 3 turbo cams, livernois stage 3 heads ARP everything cricle D triple disk 3800 stall 6pt cage full adj suspension just a street car
Lookin for 9's
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #60

Got the harness mostly finished up today.

Last edited by MyLittlePwny; 04-24-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #61

what are then red wires going to on the back of the heads?
Lookin for 9's
Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #62

To the noise eliminators that are usually bolted to the front of the heads.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #63

Trader Feedback: (6)

Nice build....The very first pic you posted, what's the wheel/tire combo?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #64

Thanks! 18x9 and 18x10 bullitts, I don't remember what tire sizes, too small lol
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #65

Trader Feedback: (2)

Cool builds
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #66

Well... good and bad news.

I got my heads today, they look great!

Started checking pistons and stuff... bad news. Lifted 4 ring lands. Soooo now the thing needs a set of pistons. I might have a set of diamonds to throw in it but we'll see what happens.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #67

Damn.... you've wore me out reading through this progress. LOL It's gonna be worth it in the end no doubt.

2012 Sold and taking a break from racing
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #68

lol Well thanks for taking the time to read it man.

I ended up getting some Diamond Racing pistons today. Going to have the skirts coated and start putting this thing together!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #69

Taking the pistons by a few very respected friends of mine to have them looked at before I decide to buy them.

I'm going to need to have the skirts coated. Taking them to Patterson Racing tomorrow to get that done. Here are a couple pictures of me taking the rods off of the pistons.

Had the pistons weighed vs my old ones and there was 20g difference between the two. However, if we used the wrist pins out of my old rods, they were EXACTLY the same weight. Soooo I'm going to use my old wrist pins to avoid having to have them lightened so I can get moving on putting the motor together. I ordered some motor mounts today as well. I'll update when I have pics of the goodies.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #70

More wiring in my future... bought a 2 step haha Probably should have done that before I built that harness. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement