Good mustang engine builder in Pa? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Good mustang engine builder in Pa?

Hey everyone I'm from Pa and been looking for a decent engine builder in Pa. I'd like a builder that focuses mainly on mustang motors, but really any good reliable motor builder would work. I'm from the harrisburg area and around here theres only one builder which I don't have much faith in. Does anybody know of any good builders in Pa. Traveling the state for a great builder is not a big deal, I just want to make sure its done right. Any help would be great!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

L&M Engines, Hatboro,PA, top notch and builds alot of mod motors.
I think his site is L&Mengines .com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

Why not just order from MMR? Could also check with Dave Guy of DGR Perfrmance in dillsburg
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

MMR is my first choice to be honest slopony. Was just looking to see if there was any good mustang builders in pa. But in the end I will probably find myself still going with mmr haven't trusted to many local companies with my engines for a while now.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
authorized corral.net advertisers

Trader Feedback: (58)

Let us know how we can help 00GT00 , we will take good care of you and get you a quality engine at a great price with a warranty to boot! Send us a PM and let us know what model you are interested in!

MMR
805 383 4130

RANKED TOP TEN MUSTANGS OF 2011 by MM&FF Magazine
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (4)

Are you looking for shortblock or whole motor? any power adder? How much power you looking to make?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

L&M /end thread
1999 Black 35th Anniversary Edition GT #2803/4628 (wrecked. waiting on the money tree to grow)

2001 True Blue "V6" (semi-sleeper junk box with a drive train and interior swap)
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (12)

Look no further than MMR there top notch service and amazing engines speak for themselves
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue01stang View Post
L&M /end thread
yup. whatever you do, stay away from Lorenzo's Fast Flow and Cylinder Head in Langhorne, PA. I've used him for years for modular stuff and 5.0 stuff, and the last one that I dropped off (customer) I was treated like he was too big and important to deal with my 600-1000HP ####, the motor was $1000 over initial quote, took 6 months when was told 2 weeks, wrong pistons were installed. huge headache, did nothing to work with me.

to make matters worse, car shuts down after 500 miles. turns out he forgot to tighten one of the cam gear bolts. cost me a set of cams, a head, and a timing cover.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
yup. whatever you do, stay away from Lorenzo's Fast Flow and Cylinder Head in Langhorne, PA. I've used him for years for modular stuff and 5.0 stuff, and the last one that I dropped off (customer) I was treated like he was too big and important to deal with my 600-1000HP ####, the motor was $1000 over initial quote, took 6 months when was told 2 weeks, wrong pistons were installed. huge headache, did nothing to work with me.

to make matters worse, car shuts down after 500 miles. turns out he forgot to tighten one of the cam gear bolts. cost me a set of cams, a head, and a timing cover.
Damn, I don't condon this but, I believe I would've burned his building down.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Damn, I don't condon this but, I believe I would've burned his building down.
I did him worse - I stopped referring customers to him (I usually send or bring 3-4 a year). At $7000 each, and always cash, I'm sure he'll regret it eventually. I was pissed at the time but it just affirmed my belief that since I have the space and the tools, the best bet for me with my customers is just to have a shop do the machine work (L&M) and I do the assembly. Less come backs.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

I'm actually looking for just a built shortblock but also having the heads and stuff port and polished. Would like to see what hp i can make naturally but I'm sure I will be going with spray. L&M looks like a good company but mmr definately stands behind alot. I'm in the same boat with a local engine builder up here he built me an engine came out almost 1200$ over charged. Broke the engine in like he said and all of a sudden it starts smoking and its leaking atleast a qaurt of oil a week. Needless to say I took it back to him he says he fixed it and did nothing to it at all. I really don't trust engine builders anymore but I also don't have the knowledge on these modular motors to buil one myself or the tools or time.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GT00 View Post
I really don't trust engine builders anymore but I also don't have the knowledge on these modular motors to buil one myself or the tools or time.

That's why I went with an 03-04 Cobra shortblock. When it comes to engines and trannys, I am much more confident in something factory built from Ford. It's not guaranteed, but there's much more quality control in their production lines than there is in aftermarket shops.

Aftermarket engine builders all say that their engines are "guaranteed" just to get the sale. In realty, if an engine blows, how can you prove that it was the builder's fault, the installers fault, the tuner's fault, the driver's fault, etc.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
That's why I went with an 03-04 Cobra shortblock. When it comes to engines and trannys, I am much more confident in something factory built from Ford. It's not guaranteed, but there's much more quality control in their production lines than there is in aftermarket shops.

Aftermarket engine builders all say that their engines are "guaranteed" just to get the sale. In realty, if an engine blows, how can you prove that it was the builder's fault, the installers fault, the tuner's fault, the driver's fault, etc.
We beg to differ, respectfully of course, if it wasnt for Factory engines failing due to any of the reasons you have listed, we or others like us would not be in business.

Your statement however is one reason why we not only offer a warranty, but we also call it a "no questions asked warranty", this means even if you send a engine back to MMR with a hole in the top of a piston (which is clearly not the fault of the engine builder) we will still cover the engine labor as a courtesy, that person would simply be responsible for the parts he or she broke (in this particular case the piston). This helps prevent finger pointing and he said she said with the installer, engine builder and tuner.

MMR

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #15

Not necessarily... Look at the problems people have had with the aluminator engines. They're basically the exact same thing as the 03/04 cobras, but in an aluminum block. Wait, no they're not... The aluminators are built on a production line, while the all cobra engines have been hand built since 96.

When it comes to engine and trans builds, you get what you pay for. To keep this from getting out of hand I'll just stop right there. Well I do want to add one more thing. Even though it was meant to be funny, it does bring up a good point.

Tommy Boy (1995) - Memorable quotes
1999 Black 35th Anniversary Edition GT #2803/4628 (wrecked. waiting on the money tree to grow)

2001 True Blue "V6" (semi-sleeper junk box with a drive train and interior swap)
Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue01stang View Post
Not necessarily... Look at the problems people have had with the aluminator engines. They're basically the exact same thing as the 03/04 cobras, but in an aluminum block. Wait, no they're not... The aluminators are built on a production line, while the all cobra engines have been hand built since 96.

When it comes to engine and trans builds, you get what you pay for. To keep this from getting out of hand I'll just stop right there. Well I do want to add one more thing. Even though it was meant to be funny, it does bring up a good point.

Tommy Boy (1995) - Memorable quotes
So true, but to take the quotes a step further, a POS with a warranty is better than a POS without one

Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (8)

No hard feelings, we can agree to disagree. I'm still biased towards factory forged shortblocks.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Mustang Racing View Post
So true, but to take the quotes a step further, a POS with a warranty is better than a POS without one
When it all comes down to it, it's still a POS. Who's to say that the warranty is going to be honored? There's always fine print that gives the builder final say at what's going to happen.

There's a lot of other things to consider while you're at it. Is the car a DD? Can the owner do all the work? Things like having to rent a car and/or pay a shop to do the work add up really quick.

I'd rather spend the money up front on a quality build then have to do things twice. Then again, when it comes time that I need to look for something to support more power then the stock engine can handle I'll probably end up doing it myself. That way I have nobody to blame but myself.

I already made the mistake buying a built trans off someone for cheap. It was built with all the good parts I was told were in it. That didn't keep it from eating itself a week later. I did some reading and decided to rebuild it myself. Well 4 years later of getting BEAT on daily and it's still going strong.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
No hard feelings, we can agree to disagree. I'm still biased towards factory forged shortblocks.
None at all! Please let us know if we can ever help with anything bud!

MMR

Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but here's a few things to think about. There were only a limited number of cobras produced. Right off the bat there's only so many available. Now how many are out there that are going to be replacing an engine that hasn't had a failure? When you do find one for sale it's usually when the owner is looking to make more power then the stock short block can handle. How close to the edge did they take it and for how long? Once you start pushing the limits parts start to distort. How much is anybody's guess. The only way to know is by taking everything apart and measuring. Now what happens when you find out that things aren't the way they should be? Do you just throw it back together and hope it stays together? Do you part it out and use the money towards another factory block? That is assuming you can find one that's in good shape. While were on it what about the guys that are looking to make more power then the factory short block can handle?

I think the biggest problem is that you have absolutely ZERO options. An engine isn't "one size fits all". There's a lot of things to consider when looking for a built engine. Just because it works doesn't make it optimal.

Unfortunately this last point is no longer an option. Do you honestly think that a block built by Modular Performance is/was substandard to a factory cobra engine? John Tymensky is responsible for the engine even being here! I'm pretty sure if anyone knows how to build one the right way it would be him. Luckily, there's other places that are plenty capable of building a engine that far surpasses whats available from Ford.

In no way am I trying to start a fight with this. Just adding to the discussion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement