4.6L twin turbo build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question 4.6L twin turbo build

I'm starting to collect parts for a 4.6L twin turbo SOHC motor. Initially, I was planning on building a 351W motor. Once I found out how much stronger the mod motor blocks were from the factory, I switched to the newer (to me) block. My plan is to purchase a 4.6 MMR Street Mod 600 shortblock. Bolt on a pair of TFS TW Track Heat 185s and later a pair of T28 turbos. Anyone running a combo like this one? Should I go with a single turbo (T76) instead? The block is rated for 600 rwhp, that's plenty for the street.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

The block's not the weak point in the MMR 600, the rods and pistons are what limit it to 600rwhp. I think the Trick Flow heads won't be needed for just 600 rwhp. Check out this article

ModularHeadShop real world 600RWHP combo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

i should be building a 4.6 dohc in the spring or summer, and make it twin turbo a year or 2 later im going to have the compression around 9.5-9.85 so i can run N/A for a while and run lower boost and still have good drive ability while not spooled up, ive already got a teksid block, and mach1 intake, i need to find a set of 03-04 C heads
but going twin or single can cause some arguments, alot of people told me to go single and im still going twin, im going to go with 2 57mm Comp turbos with ball bearing and billet wheel, should spool real nice

i think going with 2 small turbos over a larger single will probably give you better mid power and pretty good peak power, while the single may give you major top end

im doing twin for the sleeper look, clean engine bay and the turbos are up front tucked in behind the front bumper
1996-2004 mustang turbo system

if you want to go single i think a 60mm should do great and spool fast, i got a friend with a built 05 Gt with a single 60mm turbo
be sure to at least get a billet wheel
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (22)

Get you a single precision billet 67mm and a quality hotside
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
Get you a single precision billet 67mm and a quality hotside
This^^^^

Quick spool, and will support 600rwhp perfectly. Easier to plumb, and less headaches. Cheaper too.
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (13)

Where's a guy get a quality hot side that retains the factory accessories?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GT4.6 View Post
Where's a guy get a quality hot side that retains the factory accessories?
im getting a turbo kit from HP performance at a later time but they say their kit retains all factory accessories, give them a call and see if they will sell you a hot side, its a twin kit

im getting comp turbos for my build, i got a friend that is a dealer for comp turbo

and for turbo size a billet 60 should be fine for 600hp, bigger is just going to take longer to spool,
and a billet 65 should hit 5-6psi by 2400 rpm

message probercr93 http://forums.corral.net/forums/memb...robercr93.html
he is the one with an 05 GT with a single turbo and knows some pretty good stuff and he is a dealer for comp turbo

Last edited by 2002 SN95 GT; 11-27-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (0)

Maybe a single turbo IS the way to go.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 SN95 GT View Post
im getting a turbo kit from HP performance at a later time but they say their kit retains all factory accessories, give them a call and see if they will sell you a hot side, its a twin kit

im getting comp turbos for my build, i got a friend that is a dealer for comp turbo

and for turbo size a billet 60 should be fine for 600hp, bigger is just going to take longer to spool,
and a billet 65 should hit 5-6psi by 2400 rpm

message probercr93 http://forums.corral.net/forums/memb...robercr93.html
he is the one with an 05 GT with a single turbo and knows some pretty good stuff and he is a dealer for comp turbo
I was asking about a quality hotside kit for a single turbo.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (6)

My twin 60mm HP kit seems to work well.
I have a full hotside to a HP 1st gen kit setting in my garage.
9.99@137 6.34@114 18psi 9.5:1c/r PI Heads
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (8)

Couple guys on here are running a CG Fabricators hotside...he's out of TX and builds some quality stuff from what I've seen.
Sold And Gone
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ryan View Post
Couple guys on here are running a CG Fabricators hotside...he's out of TX and builds some quality stuff from what I've seen.
His headers don't allow you to keep all factory accessories. Which I'm wanting to do.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (9)

I have an on3 kit with upgraded IC, turbo, and mass air. 683hp stock block bored .020 dished srs pistons, h beam rods, 8 bolt crank, studded everywhere, stock heads. I was told an early 4.6 block is capable of 1000hp... dunno that I'll push that limit but... almost 700hp is fun too! lol Going to buy some shorties and an edelbrock intake and see what I get out of her.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (22)

somebody needs to get a car down to cgfabrication where he can make some headers that work with a/c. im not sure if the front swaybar works with his kit either, im still waiting to install all of my stuff. he does list it as a "race kit" though, but needs to come up with a street kit sometime in the near future. i think thats what mostly everybody is wanting
Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
somebody needs to get a car down to cgfabrication where he can make some headers that work with a/c. im not sure if the front swaybar works with his kit either, im still waiting to install all of my stuff. he does list it as a "race kit" though, but needs to come up with a street kit sometime in the near future. i think thats what mostly everybody is wanting
Agreed. I've talked to him at CG Fabrication and he said he would do it if someone brought in a car for him to mock it up. I wish I lived closer because I would let him use my car lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement