"Cold air" calibrated mass air meter? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (4)

Wink "Cold air" calibrated mass air meter?

I see all the mass air meters come in "regular" or "cold air" calibrated. Is this just dependent whether you are running a factory air box as opposed to having a conical air filter clamped on? Or is this depending on whether or not there is any bends in front of the mass air meter? I have a K&N FIPK? Which one should I get? Cold air or regular? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (115)

Tell the MAF manufacturer what air intake setup you have and they'll tell you which one you need.
If you're buying used, the cold air meters are usually calibrated for a bend before the meter. Be aware that some cold air meters originally came with a screen to straighten the airflow. These are rarely included with used meters. Running without one could cause problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (76)

Garage
what MAF are you looking at?

the stock one is fine... i doubt you are outflowing it.
if you are 90mm LMAF

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCANGL View Post
what MAF are you looking at?

the stock one is fine... i doubt you are outflowing it.
if you are 90mm LMAF

My car is 2K GT. I bolted on an intake and 75 throttle body. I have the stock mass air which I am told is 80mm. It does not feel like it is getting enough air to the engine now. I know many don't think the intake and TB is a good idea for an N\A car. I did read every 4.6 test I could find on throttle body and intake upgrades and realize there is a loss of torque and hp on the bottom end. At the same time I realize there needs to be a funneling effect, I know the size ratio of the mass air to throttle body matters.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

Garage
im not against tb/plenum combo's on mild bolt-on cars... but adding a MAF wont help a thing. The stock 80mm will support even a cam swap.

but if you must, get a 90mm Lightning MAF...

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
My car is 2K GT. I bolted on an intake and 75 throttle body. I have the stock mass air which I am told is 80mm. It does not feel like it is getting enough air to the engine now. I know many don't think the intake and TB is a good idea for an N\A car. I did read every 4.6 test I could find on throttle body and intake upgrades and realize there is a loss of torque and hp on the bottom end. At the same time I realize there needs to be a funneling effect, I know the size ratio of the mass air to throttle body matters.
How are you making this judgment? Are you logging MAF readings? Got dyno charts and AFRs?

Log MAF readings while out beating up on the car. That will tell you if you need to upgrade. If the MAF is not saturating -- i.e. reaching it's maximum output voltage before the engine has reached its maximum air flow demand -- it's not really a restriction. Hell, even if the MAF is saturating, it's essentially an 80mm (3.15") diameter open tube. How much pressure drop do you think is occurring over its length?

I doubt a N/A, bolt-on GT is reaching the flow limits of an 80mm MAF.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #7

Garage
^^ agreed, i shoulda thought about telling him to datalog MAF ad counts

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (11)

Was the car tuned previously ?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
Was the car tuned previously ?
No, the car has never been tuned. I guess I am finding a way to regain some of the loss of torque and hp on the bottom end. Besides a power adder, I guess the answer sounds like keep it stock.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedav8 View Post
No, the car has never been tuned. I guess I am finding a way to regain some of the loss of torque and hp on the bottom end. Besides a power adder, I guess the answer sounds like keep it stock.
Doing a tune on the car will help add some of the low end torque back to it but also get the best out of the added air flow from the other parts you have changed , the stock MAF is fine until you are using a blower or turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement