2000 GT - how much oil, brake bleeding Q, and other tune up items - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

2000 GT - how much oil, brake bleeding Q, and other tune up items

Guys,
I recently purchased a 2000 Mustang GT 5spd, and had a few questions.

1) How much oil does it need? I am reading conflicting stories about earlier models (99-00) needing 4.7L, and later models (01-04) needing 5.7L - can anyone confirm for the 2000 model?

2) How to bleed the brakes on these things - do is it just a simple bleeder screw that I unbolt whiles someone is pressing the brake? Also do I start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder and work myway to the closest one?

3) Do these cars use a cabin air filter?

4) How difficult is the fuel filter replacement?

5) Spark plugs - what is the suggested change interval (i.e. after how many miles)?

Sorry about all the questions. Complete newbie here. The car was in storage for about 4 years, and only has ~43k miles (70k KM).

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

1) 5 quarts of 5w20 full synthetic preferably Mobil 1. Just go get the motorcraft oil filter. it is inexpensive and works well. fl-820s

2) exactlly as you put it

3) no cabin air filter

4) need a fuel line disconnect tool. 8 dollars from pepboys. very easy to do just lift rear of car, use tool to remove old filter from fuel line, then replace with new filter.

5) 60k is about right. depends on material. Just replace them anyway with platinum plugs. dont focus on brand so much. Autolite are great inexpensive plugs. Torque to 13-14 ftlbs. If you dont have a torque wrench then use a smaller wrench and torque by hand with common sense. The cylinder head will tell you when they are in there and not to over tighten. pay attention to how tight they are when you take them out so you have an idea of how tight they should be when you put the new ones in.

any more questions you want answered? i have a 2000 GT 5spd and recently did all of the same maintainence.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the answers. Another question actually - how much brake fluid do you typically go through for a single flush? I am thinking 1 bottle should suffice. Also any other maintenance you would take care of in a typical tune up? Throttle body cleaning perhaps? I have a K&N OEM style air filter, so Ill clean that around the same time.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Thanks for the answers. Another question actually - how much brake fluid do you typically go through for a single flush? I am thinking 1 bottle should suffice. Also any other maintenance you would take care of in a typical tune up? Throttle body cleaning perhaps? I have a K&N OEM style air filter, so Ill clean that around the same time.
Im not 100% sure how much brake fluid i used. there are a few different size bottles so for me to say 1 bottle would be an innacurate measurement. I would look in the manual in the back and there is a chart with all of the suggested fluid amounts which may include brake fluid. I will try and find a definitive amount for you though. As far as cleaning the throttle body, i would remove it from the car and then clean it with a carb cleaner. The air filter should also be cleaned and oiled. Check all hoses for leaks and cracks. check your belt for cracks. listen for abnormal sounds such a squeals or knocks. Make sure your radiator isnt leaking. that kind of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement