What happens if you start using regular oil after running synthetic for awhile? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Thumbs up What happens if you start using regular oil after running synthetic for awhile?

Just curious.
Action packed post!

My Car

My Mustang Music Video

My Other Music Video

PC Tips
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2002, 11:03 PM   #2

You save a few bucks on oil!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #3

Re: What happens if you start using regular oil after running synthetic for awhile?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001 Geee T
Just curious.
Action packed post!
i have heard that it can start to wear on bearings but i have done "switchback" and nothing happened at all so far...but i dont have a high performance vehicle so consult a professional...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:16 AM   #4

Location: CSX Rail Yard on 59th st, Bedford Park, Chicago, IL

I know what happens NOTHING, just the oil got changed.

***Best 1/4 Mile Times***
7/13/02 US 41 DragWay Morocco, IN
1.856- 60 Ft
5.553- 330 Ft
8.688- 1/8 Mile
11.294- 1000 Ft
13.534- 1/4 Mile
100.43- MPH

***MOD'S***
Pro 5.0
Nitto drags -rears
BFG g-force kdw -fronts
March Ram air and Underdrive Pulleys
Hyper Tech Power Programer
FRPP 4.30 gears
FRPP sub frames
Mac Pro Chamber O/R pipe
Mac 3.5 cat back
BBK Shock Tower Brace
Picture page

Drive it like you stole it!
Need new clutch asap.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:02 AM   #5

I just always heard people saying "once you go black you'll never go back", um I mean once you go synthetic you cant go back.

My Car

My Mustang Music Video

My Other Music Video

PC Tips
Old 07-09-2002, 07:38 AM   #6

Yeah, and those same people say you can't switch to synthetic on a high milage car or all of your seals will leak. I did that on my 86 GT and oil consumption IMPROVED. So much for listening to "Some People".

If you do return to dino oil, I suggest you stick with one brand. "Some People" also say that mixing oil brands is not good. In my experience, I have seen some problems mixing Western (Valoline) with Pennsylvania oils (QS). The Penn oils have a higher parafin content than western oils do. I have seen nasty deposits on valve trains in cars that mix different brands. This is MY OPINION based on MY EXPERIENCES. I ddo NOT have scientific (repeatable) data to base that on. There are several people on this board who are more qualified than me on petrochemicals than I am, and they might not agree with this. So I say, stick with one brand/viscosity (dino or synthetic) and you won't have oil related problems unless you lose your oil pump.

BTW, I check my oil first thing in the morning. Cobra heads hold a lot of oil and can give a false low reading if checked right after shutting off the engine (like when gassing up). So I check mine after letting the engine sit until it's cool.

"Got 8 cylinders, uses 'em all"
"Got overdrive, just won't stall."
~ 'Hot Rod Lincoln' by C. Ryan
Old 07-09-2002, 10:38 AM   #7

If you switch from synoils back to dinos, your engine will surely drop onto the pavement.

BTW, there is almost no oil basestock being derived from Pennsylvania nowadays. Doesn't matter what it says in the name (QS), it's all from the Arab countries or Venezuela.

256 rwhp
292 rwtq

NOW: 2001 C5 black/silver vert.

mmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer
Old 07-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by bierbelly
If you switch from synoils back to dinos, your engine will surely drop onto the pavement.
i have never heard of anyone losing an engine over something like this...i have never heard of any problems when people do this...it is probably some marketing ploy used by oil companies to get your money...i will take my chances! if my engine then i will tell you about it but i doubt that will happen...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:21 PM   #9

Drivenafordlately,
Dude, I may be wrong...... but I do believe Bierbelly was joking.

Rigo
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #10

My bad Bierbelly...didnt mean to come off wrong
Old 07-10-2002, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by drivenafordlately
My bad Bierbelly...didnt mean to come off wrong
You can usually take about half of what I say seriously. In this case, it was the second half. you shouldn't have any trouble switching back and forth to synoils.

256 rwhp
292 rwtq

mmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer
Old 07-12-2002, 02:38 PM   #12

If you switch back to Dino oil you will die.

Don't be a wuss, pay the extra few bucks dude!

short vid of my Z28
Old 07-12-2002, 07:28 PM   #13

Ive seen this "fish" guy on here before. He seems to try and cause problems a lot. I wouldnt trust him.

My Car

My Mustang Music Video

My Other Music Video

PC Tips
Old 07-12-2002, 07:31 PM   #14

If you don't use the good stuff (like Mobil 1) your motor will sludge up.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by '01 Bad Blue Stang
If you don't use the good stuff (like Mobil 1) your motor will sludge up.
Wow, your contributions to the Tech Forum have been fvckin amazing so far.

Did Misericordia finally get internet access???
joe
Old 07-12-2002, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenGT

Wow, your contributions to the Tech Forum have been fvckin amazing so far.

Did Misericordia finally get internet access???
joe
What makes you think YOU are so fking amazing? I am just stateing a fact buddy. Synthetic oil keeps your motor cleaner.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #17

Clean engines are pretty, and it sure makes you feel good to pull parts off an see that it looks clean. However they are not necessarily always better. Some people complain that penzoil leaves nasty depoits in your engine over a long time. They are correct, it does leave a little. However what they don't tell you is that those deposits are kind of a waxy matterial that actually helps out your engine on cold startups. They coat everything in the engine and the waxy deposits actually turn back into a liquid when the engine warms up. They help the engine but are really noticable on high mileage engines. The main reason people say switching from dino to synthetic is a bad idea is the solvents in the synthetic(I don't think solvents is the right word but thats just about what they are) can remove some of those deposits made by dino. So just imagine if some of those deposits were in your seals, perhapse helping close up some minor cracks. Now the snythetic comes along and removes all the deposits leaving the cracks to leak--> biger leak-->bigger leak! Now that is why "some people" say don't switch. I would say switch anyway and replace what should be replaced anyway. Also, "they also say" that mixing the wrong oils can make some bad things I have herd refered to as "glue". I can't validate this but it does make sense that it could happen. After all who exactly would check to make sure all types of oil work well together?

sorry bout the long post...
Old 07-13-2002, 04:58 PM   #18

Exclamation

2001 Geee T,

you know I don't cause trouble.. how would you like it if I told this board the truth about you NOT OWNING a Mustang. Those Video's and pictures are copied from my Friends web site. Poser!

short vid of my Z28
Old 07-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #19
U.S. Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

You get sludge and build up. That is what I was told and I have no idea why. I dunno if it is true or not, but yes you will save a few bucks on oil.

John
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Old 07-13-2002, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUPonyBoy
You get sludge and build up. That is what I was told and I have no idea why. I dunno if it is true or not, but yes you will save a few bucks on oil.

John
That sounds true to me. Synthetic oil is man made and much cleaner than petroleum is so it doesn't leave all the gunk of cheaper oil.

Your motor running on synthetic >>>>>>

Your motor running on dino oil >>>>>>>>
Old 07-14-2002, 12:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by CitznFish
2001 Geee T,

you know I don't cause trouble.. how would you like it if I told this board the truth about you NOT OWNING a Mustang. Those Video's and pictures are copied from my Friends web site. Poser!
Anyways fishboy, Ive seen your camaro and I dont think its right to put Z28 emblems on a V6 with some Flowmasters, I mean Flowmaster. To all you HELPFUL people thanks for the input and to CitizenTuna Ill see you in my rearview mirror AGAIN.

My Car

My Mustang Music Video

My Other Music Video

PC Tips
Old 07-14-2002, 02:07 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (4)

Your motor will sludge up if you don't change your oil(either kind) routinely. Now, your routine will vary, I change my dino oil every 2K miles b/c it sees a little more abuse than normal street driving. All my cars I've owned have been on dino oil only.
Even if I ran synthetic I would change it at 2K miles b/c no matter what kind of oil it is, it will break down.

Quote:
Synthetic oil is man made
This kind of cracked me up as I envisioned some guy making synthetic oil in a butter churn.
I must be clueless when it comes to making oil, but how do they make dino oil then?
Old 07-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #23

what brand oil are all of you using and what brand of oil would be good for a new rebuilt 96 motor all forged internals with the headswap???
Old 07-15-2002, 01:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001 Geee T

Anyways fishboy, Ive seen your camaro and I dont think its right to put Z28 emblems on a V6 with some Flowmasters, I mean Flowmaster. To all you HELPFUL people thanks for the input and to CitizenTuna Ill see you in my rearview mirror AGAIN.

If I did own a real Z28 that had a slipping clutch i bet i could still beat you! Not hard to beat a kid who drives a yugo!

(should I tell them about your type-R emblems??

short vid of my Z28
Old 07-15-2002, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by MC Cobra
Your motor will sludge up if you don't change your oil(either kind) routinely. Now, your routine will vary, I change my dino oil every 2K miles b/c it sees a little more abuse than normal street driving. All my cars I've owned have been on dino oil only.
Even if I ran synthetic I would change it at 2K miles b/c no matter what kind of oil it is, it will break down.

This kind of cracked me up as I envisioned some guy making synthetic oil in a butter churn.
I must be clueless when it comes to making oil, but how do they make dino oil then?
Dino oil is refined from crude oil, and is what they call a "middle distillate" or "vacuum distillate". First, the low carbon number, highly volatile stuff (gasoline) boils off, then the diesel/jet fuel, then the remaining stuff is put into a different distillation column and distilled under vacuum to produce the oil base stocks. These may be further refined (by other methods) to clean them up, then are mixed with additive packages to make the final product. But because it's made by distillation, dino oil is a very complex mixture of organic chemicals that all boil in the same range.

Synthetic oil is made by combining about four molecules of a relatively small molecule, decene (C10) to form what's called an oligomer of C40. Because the starting material is relatively pure, the resulting base stock has a very limited number of different molecules, and virtually none of the harmful molecules, such as oxygenates and heterocyclic nitrogen and sulfur compounds, as in dino oil.

256 rwhp
292 rwtq

mmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer
Old 07-15-2002, 10:40 AM   #26

I see no reason not to run conventional oils, (or switch back to) if you wish. I believe that's what Ford recommends.

I run synthetic oils so as to help out the next owner of my car.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:21 PM   #27

Trader Feedback: (4)

Thumbs up

Thanks bierbelly, I learn something new everyday.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #28

Trader Feedback: (3)

What the h*ll are Twin Tornadoes? Where can I get a fuel line magnet?

'01 GT Auto- Bullitt Intake, VT Stage II's, 30# inj's, Hooker L/T's, UPR Tubular Frt & C-overs, Granatelli LCA's, SCT Pro-Racer Tuned, CAI, PI 3600, J-Mod, 4.10's, Cobra Brakes, SFC's...SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement