Any down sides to air intake silencer removal? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 06:57 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Any down sides to air intake silencer removal?

I just removed the air intake silencer when I put in my K&N. any downsides to this. From what I've heard there aren't any. Thanks

4.10's and MM full length sub frames getting put in after I stop collecting unemployment and get a damn job!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2001, 07:32 PM   #2

Hey,
I've heard that some people have lost power by doing this. It seems to be kind of random. I think the best thing is to go to home depot and get some type of material to block hot engine air from the intake. I took mine off and have had no adverse effect. But , there have been people that posted issues.
Laters
three core intercooler
42# injectors
255lph intank fuel pump
RIchmond 3.73's
Aeromotive fuel pressure riser
EEC tuner

Suspension mods
Eibach 2" drop spring
steeda C&C plates
Kyb adjustable shocks
chrome corbra R's
245'S UP FRONT 315"S IN THE REAR

interior upgrades:
Pioneer DEH 6400
kenwood speakers
Alpine 8"woofer and amp
viper alarm
autometer fuel pressure and boost gages

Stuff I could get rid of:
cobra MAF
24# injectors
procharger FMU
Dialbo chip
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:04 PM   #3

Haven't had any problems and actually felt a SOTP difference in throttle response and power.

Mods so far include:

Hokuto,Turugi 17" chrome racing wheels,
245/45 zr 17" Goodyear tires
Eibach Pro Kit springs
Steeda U/D Pulleys
Bassani X-pipe
K & N air filter/air silencer removed
Tinted windows

http://www.2000atlanticblue.corral.net
Old 11-30-2001, 12:17 AM   #4

This comes directly from the Mac Performance site on their cold air intake systems:

Note: Independent Dyno test have shown that on modular motors 2V & 4V, by just removing the stock air box, without adding length in front of the mass air meter on normally aspirated motors, you will lose H.P. and TORQUE. This is why we offer only Fender-well systems for this application. Also just hanging an air cleaner under the hood is no way to get cooler air. Actually it's hotter than the stock air system.

FYI

NASA TX region American Iron #97
VT Big Bore, Full MM catalog and enough skills to blow your doors off!

Turns more corners than going straight and stops like hitting a brick wall.......

Drag racing is for those that rode, or still ride the shortbus!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:20 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

Arrow

the filter element will get dirtier faster, that's for sure...
-TriAx, JLT CAI, 3.55, Magnaflow O/R X & Magnapack catback, MM FLSFCs
Old 11-30-2001, 12:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by aggie97
This comes directly from the Mac Performance site on their cold air intake systems:

Note: Independent Dyno test have shown that on modular motors 2V & 4V, by just removing the stock air box, without adding length in front of the mass air meter on normally aspirated motors, you will lose H.P. and TORQUE. This is why we offer only Fender-well systems for this application. Also just hanging an air cleaner under the hood is no way to get cooler air. Actually it's hotter than the stock air system.

FYI
thats funny saw a 4hp increase from removing the snorkle alone on back to back dyno pulls
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1602.htm
Old 11-30-2001, 01:08 AM   #7

You guys are misunderstanding the question. There is the "AirBox" and the "Air Silencer". The airbox is the black box around the filter. Then right between the Mass air sensor and filter there is a little screen there is a small screen that is the air silencer.
Is there anything that hurts performance from removing this screen? It seemed to help me out. You just have to make sure you put the black plastic gasket back in so there isn't any leaks of non-filtered air.
Taking off the air box would definatlly hurt as it sucks in hotter air.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:08 AM   #8

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm

This is what I'm talking about. Not the airbox, or the metal screen.

4.10's and MM full length sub frames getting put in after I stop collecting unemployment and get a damn job!
Old 11-30-2001, 07:44 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by GrussR
You guys are misunderstanding the question. There is the "AirBox" and the "Air Silencer". The airbox is the black box around the filter. Then right between the Mass air sensor and filter there is a little screen there is a small screen that is the air silencer.
Is there anything that hurts performance from removing this screen? ....
That little screen is not an air silencer. The "silencer" is the black rubber snorkel that extends from the airbox into the cutout in the fender well. My wife's Cobra runs fine with no metal screen or snorkel......
Old 11-30-2001, 09:46 PM   #10

I took mine out and now when the car is running I hear "sssssss"
I tell people that it's my S/C or I put a snake under the hood to make it a cobra!
Old 12-01-2001, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by GrussR
Is there anything that hurts performance from removing this screen? It seemed to help me out. You just have to make sure you put the black plastic gasket back in so there isn't any leaks of non-filtered air.
Taking off the air box would definatlly hurt as it sucks in hotter air.
The screen is not your air silencer.

I cut my silencer.
Lone Star Muscle Car Association: Central Tx Chapter
Old 12-01-2001, 12:46 AM   #12

For not a lot of money you can get a bare bones cold air intake like a densecharger (about $95.00.) When Ford put the rubber snorkle/silencer on the their cars, they were pretty much intending to draw cold air from the fenderwell, which in my mind makes perfect sense. If I were you I would just get one and then remove the maf post (see tech section). You can do it yourself in a short amount of time. Just make sure to replace the maf screen, or fabricate one from similar size screen. I have heard of people doing it both ways. I just fabricated mine. I have 98GT auto with a superchip and didn't really feel the effects of my densecharger until is got into the 30's where I live. It was a cold dry night and you could just tell something was different by the sound of the motor at WOT and a feeling that the car was faster than the last time I drove it. Might have been the new part ghost feeling, but if you ever have been to the strip on a hot, muggy night, weather does play a major role in performance. My car is slow enough as it is without humidity cutting my times by 1/2 second! I say run it without the snorkle until you can upgrade. MAC is just trying to sell you on their product by pointing out something that percievably could happen, but more than likely not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement