Pinion gear is STUCK!!! What do I do? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2002, 09:33 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Exclamation Pinion gear is STUCK!!! What do I do?

I am in the middle of a 4.10 gear install on my '00 GT and I can't get the pinion gear out. I have removed the differential, removed the pinion nut, and pulled the pinion flange but the gear wont come out!

This is the only thing the article I'm using for instructions says about taking it out: The pinion should fall loose from the front bearing, but if it doesn’t, a little “persuasion” with a hammer will do the trick. I have tried A LOT of persuasion with a two pound sledge and I can't get it to shake loose.

I want to go to the track tomorrow but if I can't get this damn thing out I don't know what I'm going to do. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #2

Whack that sum***** HARD about 5 times with that 2lb sledge and it will come off. The problem is the small pinion bearing is basically pressed onto the pinion gear when you tighten down the pinion nut. You will need to hit it pretty hard to get it to come off.

James
Old 06-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #3

Like James said whack the funk out of it. I would also put the pinion nut on the pinion so you dont damage the threads of the pinion. A messed up nut is better than fubar'd threads.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:52 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

I have a 2000GT and we had to hammer the crap outta that thing to get it out. We hammered it so hard, in fact, that we ended up mashing the end.
Oh well, I'll never need it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-28-2002, 01:00 PM   #5

Stuck gears

I had the same problem heat them with a torch, then use a heavy mallet.

2001 GT Convert.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:18 PM   #6

If you access to air tools hit it with a air chisel, the rapid vibes can remove it easier and safer than heavy blows with a hammer.

Dwayne

Got Vibes? read this
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...n/page17.shtml

Show me a loser (Shannan Wheeler)..........and I will show you a Liar and a Thief.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:46 PM   #7

Good deal. I had never been in the rear of a car newer than '89 until now, I was hoping there wasn't something I was missing.

Those are some good ideas. I pretty much did the best I could with the hammer last night. /confirmed rather loudly by my wife who HAD been in bed asleep... I said "oops, at least I didn't wake the baby" I always try to find the good in a situation /

I guess when I get home I'll try one more time with the hammer, but if that doesn't work I guess I'll go to my Dad's to borrow an air hammer.

I don't have (or have ready access to) a torch so I hope I don't have to have heat.

Thanks for the replies guys!

~Mike~
Old 06-28-2002, 02:21 PM   #8

Same exact thing happened to me, and I ended up not being able to get the pinion back in once I had gotten it out. I guess that's what Ford service is for.
Houston Raceway 02/05/06 (959 Density Altitude):
13.447 @ 99.75, 60' - 1.810
8.597 @ 80.94, best 1/4 mph 101.69
Founding member of BDRA - Budget Drag Racer's Association
Old 07-01-2002, 12:25 PM   #9

I thought I would let you guys know how it turned out.

The air hammer didn't make any difference. I got a bigger 3lb sledge and beat on it until my arm gave out. I called my dad and he came over with a "ladys foot" pry bar. I was able to hook the back of the gear with the bar and pull some tension on it while my dad whacked it some more.

This FINALLY worked but we had to grind the mushroom off the threaded part of the pinion gear so it would fit through the bearing.

After I pulled the pinion seal (I ruined it with the hammer) and got the front bearing out, I found out why is was so hard to get out. The inside of the bearing that slips on the pinion gear had rust on it. I guess somehow water got in there and formed a bond of rust between the pieces.

BTW the 4.10 kicks all forms of a$$!!! Best mod so far!

~Mike~
Old 07-01-2002, 03:53 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally posted by kwkcpe
I thought I would let you guys know how it turned out.

After I pulled the pinion seal (I ruined it with the hammer) and got the front bearing out, I found out why is was so hard to get out. The inside of the bearing that slips on the pinion gear had rust on it. I guess somehow water got in there and formed a bond of rust between the pieces.

BTW the 4.10 kicks all forms of a$$!!! Best mod so far!

~Mike~
Mine had the same rust on it and it was a mother to get out. We put the pinion nut back on to keep from destroying the pinion threads, but we had to use the same BFH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement