car runs rough under accel - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

car runs rough under accel

I just replaced the engine on a 96 mustang gt it had a bad engine when i got it and its a 96 gt short block with a PI swap. mods are longtubes, offroad X pipe, accel coil packs and aeromotive adjustable fpr. i got it running and it idles smooth and will drive down the road smooth under light acceleration but as soon as i gas it a lil it starts acting like its running outta fuel and will not go over 4K rpm. if im cruising 5th gear at any rpm and just push the gas to the floor it starts shaking like its running outta fuel. it will stall once in a while. i have 42psi with the vac line off and it goes up when revving it the lil bit i could.im wondering if the computer is bad since i cant get the mil light to come on
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Banned

Trader Feedback: (0)

It is hard to say without a light, but check it for codes anyway.

How long have you had the coils? Do you still have the factory coils?

James
james@tuningbyjames is banned  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

the coils were on the car when i got it im gonna try to use some factory coils to see what happens. it wont throw any codes i unplugged a few things to see if the cel would turn on and nothing not even a code.it was a supercharged car before and we checked everything a few times now.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #4

its also using alot of fuel i can see and smell it terribly out the exhaust
Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Lightning Larry is my bitch

Really sounds like a coil pack to me. Thats why you are smelling gas. Whichever cylinder isnt firing isnt burning that off. I would put money on it being a coil pack
Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

Could it be the tune?
You said the car used to be supercharged,maybe the wrong injectors.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

im gonna try the coil packs and look into the tune. it looks like once before it had a chip and no matter what i unplug it wont throw a code or mil. anything under 4K rpm or under 1/4 throttle it runs fine as soon as it hits 4K no matter where the throttle is it starts acting up. im gonna pm the guy i got it from and see where that goes based on what he remembers
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Banned

If the chip was pulled with the key on, it could have fried the PCM. It might still run in a default mode. You may not be able to pull codes if this is te case.

James
james@tuningbyjames is banned  
Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #9

spark plug wires!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #10

your right it wont let me pull codes i can unplug the maf and it will say no codes found when i scan it and the engine light wont turn on unless the engine is off. it cranks like it has no spark before it fires too. i drove it home when i bought it with a fried engine burning oil and knocking so bad and it didnt have a check engine light on then and it was in bad shape on that drive. changed the engine and it cranks like none of the plug wires are connected. wires are good, coils i tried different ones and same result, o2 sensors are new, im changing crank and cam sensors tonight since i have extras, maf new also. i tried scanning koeo and koer and it starts the scan but 3 seconds in it says an error occoured with the vehicle and wont scan and no codes stored.

Last edited by Blown331GT; 06-03-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement