Clutch making noise while engaged - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > GT & SOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2002, 02:05 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question Clutch making noise while engaged

It does not make the noise all the time and I really can not subscribe the noise but it almost sounds like a belt rubbing or something. If I let off the clutch the noise goes away, step back on the clutch and it does it again. Usually only happens when I am taking off or slowing down to a stop. Anyone know what this is? Thanks for reading.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #2

Good luck! You have something wrong in your clutch. Ford and many people here will try to tell you it is the T-O bearing, but that is not the main cause of the problem. Apparently, the problem arises from finger height variation on the clutch pressure plate. I had that same problem on my 00GT as well. The dealer replaced it with a Motorsports racing clutch, but that didn't fix the proble either.

When the clutch is pressed in, you will hear a squealing noise, and when the clutch is let out, you will hear a chirping noise (crickets, etc.). Am I right?

Before I sold the car, Ford said engineering was working on a solution. I don't know what if anything they came up with.

Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by lyonsd
Because women are like tomato plants: they both need a good stick or they'll wander over to the neighbors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2002, 06:41 PM   #3

I'll have to listen to it again and see if it makes different noises while pushing in the clutch and letting it out, I thought it was the same noise. So if I replace TO bearings and clutch the problem will not be fixed.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #4

Re: Clutch making noise while engaged

Quote:
Originally posted by atlblue00gt
It does not make the noise all the time and I really can not subscribe the noise but it almost sounds like a belt rubbing or something. If I let off the clutch the noise goes away, step back on the clutch and it does it again. Usually only happens when I am taking off or slowing down to a stop. Anyone know what this is? Thanks for reading.
Welcome to the club. I just fixed mine 1 hour ago. WhoooHooooo no more squeal for me! There has been a fix posted for some time, but I just now figured out how to get to the bearing.

Here is my original post:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=110559

Here are the details on Stangnet:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...hreadid=169392

01 Mineral Grey Cobra
Gone: 01 Mustang GT
Old 06-09-2002, 06:52 PM   #5

Here is my pic from the tranny cover. I guess the arrow is pointing to the bearing, nobody has confirmed that part for me. I sprayed the white lithium grease while the car was running and this is spinning. That way you get it all the way around.
Don't hose down the clutch (just aim at the bearing) . The grease spray is vert controlled and it will only stick to the TOB. So far no more squeak.

01 Mineral Grey Cobra
Old 06-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #6

If it is a loud, metal squealing sound when you depress the clutch its probably your pilot bearing. Ive had mine replaced at 2k and this video is from it doing it again about 6.5k.

Pilot Bearing Video
Old 06-10-2002, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwright
If it is a loud, metal squealing sound when you depress the clutch its probably your pilot bearing. Ive had mine replaced at 2k and this video is from it doing it again about 6.5k.

Pilot Bearing Video
Nice video, nice stang. That's the same noise mine was making. It's gone now so far with the grease.

01 Mineral Grey Cobra
Old 06-10-2002, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Menace-01GT

Nice video, nice stang. That's the same noise mine was making. It's gone now so far with the grease.
Just wait, it will be back. There is/was a design problem with the 00 GT's. I haven't seen it yet in my 01 cobra, but I just turned 3000 miles on it.

The noise in my GT showed up at 12-15000 km's (6000-9000 miles), and then again at double the milage just before I sold it. The fix they offered lasted about as long as the original clutch.

Like I said above, they believe the problem is finger height variation on the clutch pressure plate. This causes premature wear on all other clutch components (TO bearing, etc.) Greasing up the TO bearing will increase its life, but it doesn't fix the problem. I haven't followed up with the problem because I sold the car, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no fix yet.

Also, some cars have it and some don't. I guess it is (bad!) luck of the draw. Probably a manufacturing defect or too large of a tolerance somewhere.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSteve

Just wait, it will be back. There is/was a design problem with the 00 GT's. I haven't seen it yet in my 01 cobra, but I just turned 3000 miles on it.

The noise in my GT showed up at 12-15000 km's (6000-9000 miles), and then again at double the milage just before I sold it. The fix they offered lasted about as long as the original clutch.

Like I said above, they believe the problem is finger height variation on the clutch pressure plate. This causes premature wear on all other clutch components (TO bearing, etc.) Greasing up the TO bearing will increase its life, but it doesn't fix the problem. I haven't followed up with the problem because I sold the car, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no fix yet.

Also, some cars have it and some don't. I guess it is (bad!) luck of the draw. Probably a manufacturing defect or too large of a
tolerance somewhere.
Maybe we will get lucky. My 01 GT has the same tranny as your 01 Cobra. You should have the Tremec 3650.

01 Mineral Grey Cobra
Old 06-10-2002, 10:26 AM   #10

Yeah, the 01 GT's are different than the 00's, so you might get lucky. I hope so, I wouldn't wish that problem on my worst enemy!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the clutch is different in the Cobra than the GT. If this is the case, you might still have the same issue. Also, it doesn't affect all cars. I believe Ford opened the tolerances too wide, and some clutches at one end of the tolerance area are no good. Of course, I cannot prove this.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwright

Pilot Bearing Video
That is the exact noise mine is making. Thanks for the video. Anyone know if Ford is going to do a recall on this problem, as my warrenty only lasts six more months. I guess I should be looking into the ESP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement