Buy GT500 with high miles??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Buy GT500 with high miles???

I know it is ultimately my decision but what is everyone's opinion on purchasing an ALL stock GT500 with 100k miles. I would not be driving but to shows and maybe the track occasionally. I can get it 10k below retail. I intend to be my forever keep car. With the miles already on it I won't care about devaluing with mods that I intend to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Garage
If you plan to keep it and it runs good, who cares.

They can go 200K+ with proper maintenance as long as they are not beaten on 24/7.

Even with a lot of miles if you did decide to sell it in the future, it would still pull in some value.... Its still a shelby...

90' LX________________2011 GT Premium, DD, manual
Previous 4 cyl.__________Brembo Package, Borla ATAK system
427W, in the works______JLT Intake, Tuned
post #3 of 16 Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. Your view on the matter is the same as I was thinking. I just needed someone to reiterate that my mind wasn't clouded from my wants.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-05-2016, 03:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I have a full set of take off rotors and springs for an 07-09 GT500 with approx 6000 miles on them and a new strut tower brace and Ford Racing GT500KR shifter if you need some parts for it!

Ron Turransky
NMRA EFI/Ren# 4150
NMRA SSO #8 Crew

Support our sponsors Matukas Motorsports Race Cars, Vincent Performance, Nitrous Express, Vortech, Brodix, Kooks Headers, Holcomb Motorsports, NGK Spark Plugs, PA Transmissions, Pro Power, Racecraft Inc, Total Engine Airflow, UPR Products, VP Fuels & Weld Racing
post #5 of 16 Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks but I'm looking to buy an '11-'12. If anything stock comes off it gets upgraded.

1986 LX Coupe
1988 LX Coupe
1990 LX Coupe Black w/Black 25th Anniversary
1986 GT 1 of only 392
1986 SVO 9L
1993 LX Coupe 11.99/116 street tires
1984 GT
post #6 of 16 Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkerStang View Post
If you plan to keep it and it runs good, who cares.

They can go 200K+ with proper maintenance as long as they are not beaten on 24/7.

Even with a lot of miles if you did decide to sell it in the future, it would still pull in some value.... Its still a shelby...
Is there even a shelby on the planet with 200k on it? Lol I've never seen one with 100k. O.o
post #7 of 16 Old 09-05-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Oh yes there is. I've found many over a 100k and a couple at 200k.
I missed the car I was considering. BUT....I am transferring funds in the morning to purchase a 2012 Silver/black GT500 with 27k miles.

1986 LX Coupe
1988 LX Coupe
1990 LX Coupe Black w/Black 25th Anniversary
1986 GT 1 of only 392
1986 SVO 9L
1993 LX Coupe 11.99/116 street tires
1984 GT
post #8 of 16 Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels86gt View Post
Oh yes there is. I've found many over a 100k and a couple at 200k.
I missed the car I was considering. BUT....I am transferring funds in the morning to purchase a 2012 Silver/black GT500 with 27k miles.
should just buy my black/grabber blue striped 2011 with 24k
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
It's only my opinion but buying a high mileage cars today is not always going to be a bad thing. It generally will depend on how the car has been driven and maintained. The only way anyone can determine how a car was driven is to know the previous driver/owner. The only way I know of to find out how well a car has been maintained is if the previous owner has kept maintenance records. This is something I have always done and the maintenance records go with the car when I sell or trade. Having said that, an awfully lot of pre-owned Shelby GT500 are traded or sold before accumulating a lot of miles. Don't know if that is primarily because owners are more anxious to driver and own newer cars or they're not confident to keeping cars with higher mileage. It may be a combination of both. I don't think I've seen as many low mileage for sale as I have Shelby GT500 cars. One thing I've learned over the past 55 years of driving and that is, I will not buy a car that has had a lot of performance and suspension modifications. That by itself is a fairly good indicators as to how the car has been driven. On the other-hand there are a lot of owners that spend an exorbitant amount of money just for the bragging rights.

2012 Shelby SVTPP GT500, S/D
post #10 of 16 Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Garage
Most people that buy pre-owned cars would rather have one with lower mileage. I don't know a lot about Gt500's but I'm confident that it's a well engineered and built engine. If well maintained, I don't think a Shelby GT500 would be a worse choice than any other well maintained car. Having said that, we should keep in mind that by the pure nature of the car and one of the reason why a lot of folk buy GT500 it will be prone to a few lead footed experiences.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I look at it like this ...
High mile vehicles, should they pass all of the tests anyone would do on any large purchase , should have had all of the normal problems fixed.
Surely the replacement parts don't have high miles per say.
Buy it , enjoy it as it should be , not a garage queen was it meant to be .
post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
I haven't had my 2012 GT500 very long but I have noticed that most GT500 owners tend to not put many miles on them compared to other vehicles. Like most other drivers, I also would love to keep the miles off of it but I can't do both. I bought it to drive but at the same time I will go to extremes to keep it in as good condition as possible. A Shelby GT500 is a find piece of machinery but like everything else that is true only if it is well maintained. I'm not sure what everyone's idea as to what's considered high mileage. My 2012 GT500 only has 13,000 miles on the clock. It only had 10,300 miles on it when I bought it 2 months ago. I guess it's like everything else. The lower the miles the more valuable it is when it time to unload it. I bought it for me to enjoy. Not for someone else to enjoy because I kept the miles off of it.

post #13 of 16 Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
It's only my opinion but buying a high mileage cars today is not always going to be a bad thing. It generally will depend on how the car has been driven and maintained. The only way anyone can determine how a car was driven is to know the previous driver/owner. The only way I know of to find out how well a car has been maintained is if the previous owner has kept maintenance records. This is something I have always done and the maintenance records go with the car when I sell or trade. Having said that, an awfully lot of pre-owned Shelby GT500 are traded or sold before accumulating a lot of miles. Don't know if that is primarily because owners are more anxious to driver and own newer cars or they're not confident to keeping cars with higher mileage. It may be a combination of both. I don't think I've seen as many low mileage for sale as I have Shelby GT500 cars. One thing I've learned over the past 55 years of driving and that is, I will not buy a car that has had a lot of performance and suspension modifications. That by itself is a fairly good indicators as to how the car has been driven. On the other-hand there are a lot of owners that spend an exorbitant amount of money just for the bragging rights.
I bought my '08GT500 bone stock because I wanted to modify/personalize it; it is heavily modified because I can't stand stock cars and get bored fast, not an indicator of abuse. Either way who buys a GT500 to drive it at 35MPH to Church every Sunday? Life is short; do what makes you happy either way.

I bleed Ford BLUE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-18-2017, 08:04 PM

I would never buy a used car with a power adder on it. Not unless I know the person who owns it.

93 5.0
03 SB Cobra
post #15 of 16 Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuLaTeR View Post
I would never buy a used car with a power adder on it. Not unless I know the person who owns it.
All '03-up Cobras come factory with an Eaton power-adder on top; so I guess you'd never buy one of those used either? And do you suppose every N/A Mustang owner never put the tachometer anywhere near redline while on his/her way to Church right? As Elon Musk(owner of Tesla) said:" Life is too short to drive slow cars..."Just say'in...

I bleed Ford BLUE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw347 View Post
All '03-up Cobras come factory with an Eaton power-adder on top; so I guess you'd never buy one of those used either? And do you suppose every N/A Mustang owner never put the tachometer anywhere near redline while on his/her way to Church right? As Elon Musk(owner of Tesla) said:" Life is too short to drive slow cars..."Just say'in...
You think I don't know that? I've owned them all. Turbo's, superchargers and would never buy a used car with a power adder. I've never beat on my 03 Cobra. Never red lined any of my cars.

What I am trying to say is, only buy a car with a power adder on it new unless you know the owner personally. Used, no way.

93 5.0
03 SB Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement