Ford Mustang Forums banner

GT500 Clone

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  thzpcs 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, Just got done building an 09 GT500 clone using my 05GT. I purchased a drivetrain from a wrecked 09GT500 which included the 5.4, transmission and clutch with steeda shifter, computer, complete body and engine electrical harnesses, the instrument panel which shows 15300 miles, the dual pump fuel system along with the tank and the driveshaft, which I did not use.

My 05Gt has a modded suspension with some GT500 suspension parts including lowering springs and front control arms. I open track 3 or 4 times a year so the suspension can handle the increased power and torque from the 5.4. I installed an 07-09 500 front faschia and hood as soon as they were available in 07 when I got my GT. Just got the engine running with the correct fuel pressures. I had a problem with the pressure and could not get more than 20psi from the pumps. Turned out the plastic feed line on the dual pump module had a hole in it. Probably caught on the tank either during dismantling or install. I replaced that line with a rubber fuel line that has a 175psi working pressure and the numbers fell into place where they are supposed to be. 39 to 40 psi at the rail and a 20% duty cycle from the pumps.

I live in PA so I had John Lund at Evolution Performance tune it and wound up with 545 rwhp and 520 ftlbs torque. The motor has a 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, JBA long tubes with a catted midpipe. That is plumbed into the stock 05 GT exhaust. Kept the GT labels on the car so its somewhat of a sleeper although it looks like a GT500 without stripes.

The donor car was an 09, white with blue stripes and was from Colorado. It was in a rollover accident. If anyone happens to know about this car or accident let me know. Cant wait to get it on track and have some fun. GA:salute:

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a good build, and glad you kept the GT badges instead of the GT500, even though it has GT500 parts in it. :) I see guys at car shows trying to pass off their mustangs ( yes V6 included ) as cobras or Shelby's. Granted, not all year mustang cobras were great performers, but they were still limited production vehicles which Ford produced.
Anyways, sounds like a nice ride with good power, post some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.