Identifying tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8 rearend - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2002, 12:26 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

I'm scrounging for a diff. for my project car. Have a line on an aluminum housing, independent rear suspension Ford 8.8" differential (complete center section). Believed to be out of a Lincoln Mark VII, which would make it a 1984-1992 (if the Mark VII origin is accurate...not positive on this).

The tag reads:

430B
3 07 88 3C23

The unit accepts 28 spline axles.

My GUESS is that it was manufactured 3/7/88 and that it has a 3:23 gear. I'd bet that the "C" between the "3" and the "23" indicates whether it's limited slip or not. Since I'm just guessing, can anyone help?

I need to know the gear ratio, is it limited-slip or not, and will any aftermarket limited slip units (Eaton, Auburn Pro, etc.) work in these Lincoln 8.8" IRS units?

I don't have this unit in my possession, so I can't do the usual manual checks to discover this info.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2002, 01:00 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

430B = axle assembly code
3 07 = ring and pinion gear ratio (3.07:1 non-locking)
88 = ring gear diameter (8.8")
3C23 = date code (March 23, 19_3)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2002, 02:10 AM   #3

that will accept the eaton, auburn, or a traclock posi. you are stuck with the 28 spline if its a irs unit.

72 ford maverick grabber
Old 04-30-2002, 09:23 AM   #4

Just to add a little more information, that is a MK VIII rear. The Mk VII never had IRS or an aluminum housing. The Mk VIII ran from '93 to '98. It sounds like your project rear came from a '93, but they all were the same. The internals are not compatible with the non-IRS rears, due to the retainer mechanism for the IRS half shafts they use for axils.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:57 AM   #5

Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

Here's a dumb question, what kind of car are you planning on putting this in? Are you talking about just the pumpkin or the entire subframe for the IRS? Cause if you are putting it in a mustang, you would be much better off getting the subframe out of a newer mustang cobra, they will bolt up to other stangs, including Fox bodies.

Quote:
Originally posted by amossm
I'm scrounging for a diff. for my project car. Have a line on an aluminum housing, independent rear suspension Ford 8.8" differential (complete center section). Believed to be out of a Lincoln Mark VII, which would make it a 1984-1992 (if the Mark VII origin is accurate...not positive on this).

The tag reads:

430B
3 07 88 3C23

The unit accepts 28 spline axles.

My GUESS is that it was manufactured 3/7/88 and that it has a 3:23 gear. I'd bet that the "C" between the "3" and the "23" indicates whether it's limited slip or not. Since I'm just guessing, can anyone help?

I need to know the gear ratio, is it limited-slip or not, and will any aftermarket limited slip units (Eaton, Auburn Pro, etc.) work in these Lincoln 8.8" IRS units?

I don't have this unit in my possession, so I can't do the usual manual checks to discover this info.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve
Old 04-30-2002, 10:36 AM   #6

Lots is correct. The Mark VII had a solid axle with a 3.27 ratio and 5 lug axles. It's definitely a Mark VIII IRS. The difference between the standard solid axle and the IRS differential is a step groove in both differential side gears in order to retain the C-clip that holds the halfshafts in place. Other than that the differential housing and other internals are identical.

Last edited by SPORT89LX; 04-30-2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:22 PM   #7

Re: Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

Quote:
Originally posted by interlord
Here's a dumb question, what kind of car are you planning on putting this in? Are you talking about just the pumpkin or the entire subframe for the IRS? Cause if you are putting it in a mustang, you would be much better off getting the subframe out of a newer mustang cobra, they will bolt up to other stangs, including Fox bodies.

I'm going to mount it in a 1994 Mazda Miata (which already has an IRS rear setup). Small, light roadster (a.k.a., modern Cobra); that's why I want the aluminum housing to minimize weight. It will require custom hangers, torque mounts, and axle setups. This will be backing a built EFI 342 stroker and Tremec TKO. With other lightening efforts, car should come in around 2450 lbs.

Am I stuck with the factory Trac-Lok as my only limited slip option? I understand the C-clips require variation in the differential. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket choices for this rear end?

I believe this Lincoln rear is mechanically identical to the late model Super Coupes and Cougar XR7s, except they have iron housings. What should I expect to pay for a Trac-Lok for this setup, if that's my only choice?
Old 05-02-2002, 11:26 PM   #8

the pumpkin in my old '94 xr7 was aluminum as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:22 AM   #9

Re: Re: Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

Ahh, I see...I don't know what else is available. I have, however, heard of guys machining the axle's to accept a standard C-clip, however that looks to be a PITA if you are using the rear cover as a mounting point. If it is out of a Mark VIII, I don't know that any of them came with limited slip, although t-birds and cougars did, and the 99+ cobra's do as well. that would bolt right in. Of course, you can buy a pumpkin from ford racing (aluminum housing) and get limited slip w/ 3.73's for like $500 I believe.

That should be a nasty little toy!!! That is for sure! And you are correct, the mark VIII and T-bird/cougar rears are mechanically the same.

Quote:

I'm going to mount it in a 1994 Mazda Miata (which already has an IRS rear setup). Small, light roadster (a.k.a., modern Cobra); that's why I want the aluminum housing to minimize weight. It will require custom hangers, torque mounts, and axle setups. This will be backing a built EFI 342 stroker and Tremec TKO. With other lightening efforts, car should come in around 2450 lbs.

Am I stuck with the factory Trac-Lok as my only limited slip option? I understand the C-clips require variation in the differential. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket choices for this rear end?

I believe this Lincoln rear is mechanically identical to the late model Super Coupes and Cougar XR7s, except they have iron housings. What should I expect to pay for a Trac-Lok for this setup, if that's my only choice?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by SinisterSnake
the pumpkin in my old '94 xr7 was aluminum as well
Unless someone swapped the pumpkin, it was not aluminum. It did however, have an aluminum cover (which is part of the mount as well)
Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 AM   #11

Does anyone who has handled both have an estimate of how much heavier the iron center section is compared to the aluminum?
Old 05-03-2002, 09:31 AM   #12

More trivial information: The Mk VIII did come with Trac Loc as an option (same as the Mk VII), and the IRS T-Bird internals will fit. There are also some options available other than the Ford parts. Talk to Geno at Lincoln Motorsports to get the full skinny.

http://www.maxrpm.com/2001/NEWLMS/LMSindex.htm

The after-market is expensive for these cars, compared to the 5.0 Mustang after-market, but stuff IS available. Have fun.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:30 PM   #13

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

Quote:
Originally posted by interlord
Ahh, I see...I don't know what else is available. I have, however, heard of guys machining the axle's to accept a standard C-clip, however that looks to be a PITA if you are using the rear cover as a mounting point.
Well, I'm going to have to have custom axles made anyway for this application, so it shouldn't matter how/where the C-clips grooves were machined...the cost would be the same, I expect.

Does anyone think if I had the "pumpkin-end" of the axles machined to duplicate the Mustang style live axle 8.8" that I could then use any of the aftermarket carriers made for the Mustang? Doing that would not only get me a better/stronger limited slip, it'd also get me 31 spline versus 28 spline axles.

Humor my ignorance here, but what does the rear cover being used as a mounting point have to do with using standard C-clips? Do you just mean that you'd have to drop the pumpkin down to remove the cover in order to install the axles, or are there other complications?

Thoughts, opinions?
Old 05-04-2002, 01:21 AM   #14

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help please: I.D. tag on Lincoln aluminum 8.8" rear

I believe if it is machined for C-clips, you could use any 8.8 carrier. I don't remember where exactly I saw it (it's been about 2 years since I totaled my T-bird) but it might be found on tccoa.com or sccoa.com.

And what I meant about using the mounting point on the rear cover was it could be difficult to get the cover off to get to the C-clips. But that would probably depend on your design.

Quote:

Well, I'm going to have to have custom axles made anyway for this application, so it shouldn't matter how/where the C-clips grooves were machined...the cost would be the same, I expect.

Does anyone think if I had the "pumpkin-end" of the axles machined to duplicate the Mustang style live axle 8.8" that I could then use any of the aftermarket carriers made for the Mustang? Doing that would not only get me a better/stronger limited slip, it'd also get me 31 spline versus 28 spline axles.

Humor my ignorance here, but what does the rear cover being used as a mounting point have to do with using standard C-clips? Do you just mean that you'd have to drop the pumpkin down to remove the cover in order to install the axles, or are there other complications?

Thoughts, opinions?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by amossm

Thoughts, opinions?
Who are you using to get your axels made? I am doing the same thing to a Miata except with a 5-600 HP stock motor. I've got Skylers old car, was going to put a Viper rear in that I have but costs were too high and the rear hung too low.

Larry
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey!
Who are you using to get your axels made?

was going to put a Viper rear in that I have but costs were too high and the rear hung too low.
Axles can be purchased from Panache in San Marcos, CA. www.v8miata.com
They also can sell you a complete 7.5" Ford IRS assembly with axles, custom machined spaces, rebroached Miata hubs, and differential hangers. Everything to make it a bolt-in operation. I know several people with Panache V8 Miata conversions, including three with KB blowers. In three years none have broken any part of the Panache axle assembly. All are on big street rubber (mostly 245 width, but no slicks).

If you're into overkill engineering (like me) and insist on the aluminum 8.8" you may have to make your own pumpkin hanger mounts. Martin Wilson (owner of Panache) has the patterns to make them but may or may not be willing to do so as he believes the 8.8" is overkill for any street car. He's built over 100 of them, so he knows what he's talking about.

Since this old post was revived, I'll share that I ended up buying a Torsen T2-R high-bias, worm-geared limited slip unit. Up to 4 to 1 bias is possible with this limited slip unit, which is far better than any streetable cone type or clutch type differential. They're expensive, about $600, but the cat's meow for a powerful street car where excellent handling is desired. These are standard factory fare in some of the world's finest factory performance cars. Only available for the 8.8" Ford, though, not the 7.5".

Steve A.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #17

Thanks Steve I got ahold of Martin and he made me a deal on a 7.5 he had there with a new limited slip. I'll probably put a spool in it until I am done playing with the LSR stuff anyway. I'll be lucky to make 400 Ft.Lb.'s with the 1.8 L motor, but the launches will be pretty violent. The record is 211.4 for H/BMS so I have my work cut out for me. Will be trying some ground effects tunnel ideas for the Miata, big problem is not power, just keeping it down.

Thanks again, Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement