Try to start car, lose all electrical power, 5 seconds later everything works?!?!?! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Try to start car, lose all electrical power, 5 seconds later everything works?!?!?!

A few weeks ago I got in my car and went to start the car.. I turn the key.. and nothing.. Like it had a dead battery... So I pop the hood, and open the door to get out.. when I was about to get out of the car the dome light comes out and the door dinger starts chiming.. it had just regained power all of the sudden.. So I get out and check the battery terminals.. everything is tight.. no battery leaks or anything.. get in and all my radio presets were gone.. the car physically lost all electrical power and then got it back. It started right up and didn't have any problems with it for weeks..

Fast forward to yesterday.. I get in my car to leave the parking garage.. put the key in the ignition.. turn it.. it cranks for 1/2 a second and then NOTHING.. it loses all electrical power again.. I open the door.. the dome light is NOT on.. go to get out of my car.. BAM the car regains power again.. Door chiming, dome light on.. I start the car.. again all my presets are gone.. so it lost ALL power again...

Is there a resettable main fuse on the car or something?

Any clues?
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (26)

have you checked the solonoid connection. even if the battery cables (on the battery) are tight the positive from the battery that goes to the solonoid (feeds power to everything) could be loose.

adam
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

For '93s there is a 20 amp "inline circuit breaker" which is always hot and sends power to windows, locks, seats, etc. Since power comes back when you step out of the car I wonder if you have an intermittent short in the drivers powers seat/lumbar circuit. Just a thought. The circuit breaker is located under the hood near the starter relay on the drivers’ fender (for 93s, as that is the only electrical manual that I have.

'92 SSP (ex-FHP 797) stock - SOLD
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

Clean your battery cable connections!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (35)

Check your battery terminals better, my truck did the EXACT same thing as your, all the terminals were tight, but I took them off and cleaned them anyhow, never had the problem since.

Rich
Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (23)

It sounds like the terminals need to be cleaned. I had the exact same problem. ( in the staging lane at the track). I had the same symptoms. i.e. total loss of power AFTER hitting the key... then after a few it would come back.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (90)

Loose connection.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

Replace those sucky bolt together terminal ends with real replacements and your problem will be gone!!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Corral Elite Member

Check your battery...Not just the Volts but have it load tested... A bad battery can have 12+ volts but when you put a load(starter) on it they drop down to about zero.Sounds like a bad battery cell to me.

I did not vote for Obama. Did you vote for obama?94 red gt vert: "Yes i did and glad i did."

"OWS, The lefts Tea Party"

Last edited by INCINR8; 01-19-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #10

mine did the same thing on a relatively new battery i cleaned the terminals never another problem... mine were pretty clean as it was
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #11

Ignition switch?

Paul
1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear with 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Full dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels with P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR
Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (35)

Another vote for the primary electrical side of things - namely the battery cable connections. I'd include the battery grounds (not at the battery) and solenoid connections too.

Good luck.

Last edited by HISSIN50; 01-20-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #13

Run a voltage drop test on both cables. Center of + battery post to solenoid
and center of - battery post to engine ground when problem is present.
Should read less than .3 volts. Steve
Old 01-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (3)

I had the same problem. I cleaned my battery terminals and bought a new + side connector (the wire that connects to the battery terminal). Even though my old one was on there and tight it did what yours did. Now its fine.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (2)

Exact same thing happened to me. Turned out it was my power cable running from the + side of the better to the solenoid. Replaced the cable and, not only did the problem go away, my car starts much smoother now.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #16

Thats a classic symptom of a loose or poorly connected negative terminal. Check both of the battery cables and clean/replace as nesc.
87GT,SD,302,Stkheads/cam,70mmTB,GT40TubularUpper w/ExploderLower,3GAlternator,3rowMishimotoAlumRadiat or/Taurus3.8Fan w/DCC Ctl,ProMotionCobraT5,SteedaTriax,3:73,BBKUnEqu,H-Pipe,Flo's,155Lph,Pulleys,K&NPanel,MMAdjRLCA,Bilst einHD's,MMSFC's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement