Coolant Refilled, now Upper Radiator hose hard? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Coolant Refilled, now Upper Radiator hose hard?

Quick question about my upper radiator hose.... I drained my coolant to install a new intake, TB, etc etc, and refilled my coolant. I turned the car on and let it run without the radiator cap on, and turned the heater on and let it warm up to temp before topping it off one more time, burping the hose, and the topping off the overflow bottle when it got to temperature.

I took it out for a spin tonight and when i got back, i popped the hood to check on things. the upper radiator hose is hard, to the point where i cant squeeze the hose to feel if water is rushing past the hose. Also, the overflow bottle is below the "COLD" line.

BTW i have a new thermostat (180 deg) new water pump, fan clutch, and 2 core aluminum radiator. Also the car is not overheating and the laser thermoter says its at the correct temp. The thermostat is installed correctly too.

What could be causing the upper hose to be hard, and the overflow bottle to not be filling up to the FULL HOT line??? Could i have a giant air pocket in the systtem still? anything malfunctioning? Should i remove the radiator cap and reburp the system?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (30)

Cooling system pressure, thats why the hose is hard. If the hose was hotter then hell, it's working fine.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

Its perfectly normal to have to add a little more water after driving the car around for a bit. Air manages to get trapped in places that only bumps or shakes will dislodge. One thing you can do to help minimize air pockets forming is to jack up the front end of the car a little. Putting the car at an angle gets the radiator filler neck just so slightly higher than the block and helps the air escape. I do this with my vehicles and find I have to add very little water after driving the car around.
SVOCA #528
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:04 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

I had a 180* stat in my 91GT once you run the car the upper hose should be hard and hot...you are fine. also if your bottle is at the "cold" mark after getting the system good and "hot" add coolant (i did) and i was fine.
2004 Lightning - Totaled due to a jerk running a red light 10-2-13
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #5

Should i be worried that before i was able to squeeze and compress the upper hose while the car was running, but now i'm not? Also, should i take the radiator cap off when i jack the car up, as mentioned below?

I'll top off the coolant to the FULL HOT mark after the car is up to temp as mentioned below, and hope it all goes well.

Thanks for the help!

Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, 70 mm TB, 24 lb injectors with matching MAF, UD pulleys, BBK Cold Air kit, 3.55 rear, Baer 5 lug conversion, Shorty headers, Flowmaster Cat back, MSD ignition box
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (4)

Yes, remove the radiator cap when you jack up the front end. I fill my radiator that way.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone! I just had another thought of why the coolant might not be recirculating, you guys can tell me if i'm completely wrong or not...

When i swapped intakes, i disconnected both lines from the heater core to give me more room to move the heater tube. If they were reconnected backwards, would it cause the system to do this? It seems almost like the radiator upper hose is full of coolant, but the pump isnt moving it out of the radiator to the engine (i.e. something is blocking the flow).

Thanks again!

Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, 70 mm TB, 24 lb injectors with matching MAF, UD pulleys, BBK Cold Air kit, 3.55 rear, Baer 5 lug conversion, Shorty headers, Flowmaster Cat back, MSD ignition box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement