way to test a "Low Coolant" sensor?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

way to test a "Low Coolant" sensor??

Is there a way to see if the Low Coolant sensor is bad? My overflow bottle is full, I cleaned both contacts on the sensor itself and still my "Low Coolant" light is on. It's in a 1995 GT-

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Corral Charter Member

If you find out, let me know. My 92 has the same problem. Low coolant light comes on, and if I take the sensor out and sand the tips clean, it works until the next day.

I'm pretty sure the answer is a new sensor, so I really haven't done anything about it except cheeck the overflow bottle occasionally to make sure it really isn't low.

Pierre-Simon Laplace
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

I too have the same problem with my 92. I just ignore it but I am considering jumpering the plates just to make the light go out.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #4

I tried doing that and the light stayed on Might just break down and pick up a new one. Seen 50Resto had some decent prices vs. corner parts store & dealership.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

dang, there goes that idea.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #6

My 90 does the same damn thing LOL. I give up and just let it come on and go off as it wants. I have tried to clean it and that works for about an hour or two. There has got to be a way to get it to work the right way.
MOD's 4.10 gears, BBK off road H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber cat back, UDP's, Mac CAI,Flex a lite clutchless fan,Transgo shift kit,Eibach sportline springs, Clear conners, LX taillights, 5" Autometer tach, White 93 PONY rims, Full Kenwood sound system.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

I've got the same problem and I just checked on 50resto... why the heck is the 90-93 sensor $20 more than the pre-90 sensor?! I guess it just comes down to what's more annoying... having a dummy light that's constantly on or paying $70 to replace a lying sensor. Has anybody replaced their sensor and had it fix the problem?
'90 GT: 331 w/ TFS top end kit, chip, T-5, full exhaust, Autometer mechanical gauges, 3.55, MM SF connectors, FRPP LCA's, 5-lug swap, C/C Plates, SN-95 brakes w/ SS lines, '93 Cobra MC, Cobra R's w/ Kumho rubber, E-fan, cold A/C.

'87 LX Hatch: 2.3 converted to 5.0, 4-cyl T-5, "Type R" floormats.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorracerkid
I too have the same problem with my 92. I just ignore it but I am considering jumpering the plates just to make the light go out.
if you unplug the sensor the light should go out.
88 GT, 408 Dart,Bigstuff Gen3 efi, super vic conversion, afr225, p/g w/PTC 5500 stall, nos proshot fogger, 3250# w/my big ass in it. 1.31-60' 9.02@150.5 best on 250hp stage(7 1/2 cylinders ). shooting for the 8's, just waiting for the rain to stop
04 f-150 5.4 3v 16.4@82 geez, i could finish the crossword puzzle waiting for the finish line.
03 suzuki sv1000s-need some knee pucks
Old 11-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #9

Garage
Mine did the same thing until I replaced it. No problems anymore; works great.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:37 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (6)

Just unplug it.

My '88 didn't come with the sensor. The harness just hangs unplugged. No light. if i jumper the harness the light comes on

EDIT: I just realized 87-89 and 90-93's might be wired differently. The 87-89's can unplug it because the sensor might close the loop when the coolant is low. On the 90-93 cars it may be closed at all times and the switch opens when coolant is low. Purely speculating though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement