What happens when a Fuel Pressure Regulator Goes bad - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

What happens when a Fuel Pressure Regulator Goes bad

in the 87-92's?

does it dump too much fuel? not enough? is there even a default mode?

My car is sputtering under part throttle in every gear... seems okay at WOT, but im using 25 miles per QUARTER TANK... my eyes are burning...

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but im thinking it's too high. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

Aftermarket? I had an aftermarket unit (different than stock style) go bad, and the diaphram got eaten up by fuel, and allow fuel to be forced out of the vac line.

Windsor JR's, XE264HR-14, Cobra intake, BBK long tubes, frame connectors, 4.10's, 03 Cobra brakes and wheels, FMS B springs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:39 AM   #3

no it's stock.

And Im pretty damn sure it's running rich, I can't drive the car without literally crying.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

what year is your car? if it's a speed density car, check the vac line. my Tbird's vac hose came off of the MAP sensor and it was running pig rich. it would really only run if it was at WOT, and sputter like yours. i thought all the vac lines were good until i checked them all over again (same thing happened to my mustang, it was running lean and one of the vac hoses was disconnected, i coulda sworn they were all connected...)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

It depends on what happens to the regulator. If it gets stuck closed, then the fuel pressure will go through the roof and the engine will run very rich and will probably bog quite badly off idle and won't pass emissions. On a N/A car, it will probably run like a pig across the entire powerband. On my SVO it would actually run well at WOT because the fuel pressure was about right for 15 lbs of boost. If its leaking it will probably run a little rich but nowhere near as badly as if the pressure is too high.

Speaking from experience, the best way to diagnose any kind of regulator problem is to hook up a gage and see what the pressure is at idle. When mine was stuck closed, I was getting 60+ psi at the rail!!
SVOCA #528
Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

Here's a pretty good explanation of how regulators work. It'll help you see why fuel pressure commonly shoots up when they fail:

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=41
'90 GT: 331 w/ TFS top end kit, chip, T-5, full exhaust, Autometer mechanical gauges, 3.55, MM SF connectors, FRPP LCA's, 5-lug swap, C/C Plates, SN-95 brakes w/ SS lines, '93 Cobra MC, Cobra R's w/ Kumho rubber, E-fan, cold A/C.

'87 LX Hatch: 2.3 converted to 5.0, 4-cyl T-5, "Type R" floormats.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #7

Okay guys, thanks for the link.

If I tap the rail, will it matter that im drawing the fuel pressure before the regulator? Will the gauge still be accurate?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (4)

pull the vacuum line off and crank the engine over, if its really bad it'll start shooting out the top of the regulator
Old 08-24-2005, 11:53 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (0)

fuel reg

my stock stock one got stuck on same symptoms you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement