ThunderBird IRS ...Rear End Swap to 8.8 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

ThunderBird IRS ...Rear End Swap to 8.8

I need to know if its possible to swap the Independent Rear Suspension found on the 1993 Thunderbird for a Solid 8.8 out of say a 5.0 Mustang. Does anyone know where I could ask (forums or tech articles) or maybe have done it themselves (or know someone that has done it) where I may get some information. Thanks for any help
-jesse
Thanks to Brian @ 50RESTO, that guy OWNS all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

www.tccoa.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #3

your only option is to back-halve the car.
Whats wrong with the IRS?
There are a few guys that have thier "IRS" t-birds and cats in the mid to high 10's.
Of course with aftermarket axles and poly bushings, and other crap I can't remember.
The IRS is strong, it will hold a lot of power, in stock form, as long as you don't do a lot of high RPM drop clutches(but yours is most likely an auto, unless you've swaped it out for a 5 speed of some kind).
Old 08-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

I thought the IRS and solid axle 8.8 were direct swaps?!?!?!?! utilizing the same mounting locations and all..
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #5

mustangs only direct swap. the mn-12's got their own irs for them and only them and i think the mark 8. it's not a fox platform and the cars are wider than a mustang. i would look for a mark 7 rear with the longer axles. if you want to swap out. and. pluse they usually have like 3.08-3-27's bc they are heavy
Performance Automatic C4, TFS steet heat intake with 1inch spacer, GT-40's long tube headers, 24lbs. injectors, 65mm tb 3g alt Jegs Aluminum radiator., taurus fan (DCC)... and some Maximum Motorsports stuff, 5 lug w/ Bullets..... no numbers yet
Old 08-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88CougarCoupe
mustangs only direct swap. the mn-12's got their own irs for them and only them and i think the mark 8. it's not a fox platform and the cars are wider than a mustang. i would look for a mark 7 rear with the longer axles. if you want to swap out. and. pluse they usually have like 3.08-3-27's bc they are heavy
Yup. The MN-12 is an entirely different chassis from the fox/SN95. It's definitely not a direct swap
2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

I thought most Mark VII's were 3.73's?
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #8

The T-bird, Cougar, and Mark VIII,(from 89-97) all share the same platform - MN12, I also belive that the 97-98 Lincolns were on an FN10 platform(I think).
Which all had an IRS from the factory, it didn't matter if it had a V6, V8 or SC V6.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:11 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYLITTLEHO
I thought most Mark VII's were 3.73's?
Mark 7's were 3.27's or 3.55's.

Mark 8's (which is what the IRS we are discussing here) comes with 3.08's except for the LSC's which get 3.27's.

And yes, the Mark 8 is an FN-10 chassis...which is a full sized version of the MN12.

The Cobra IRS is borrowed from the MN-12 chassis but will not interchange. It's similar though as a popular mod with the Mark 8's is to swap Cobra halfshafts on and SN95 hubs and convert to Cobra disk brakes and the SN95 lug pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement