what are bad pilot bearing symptoms - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

what are bad pilot bearing symptoms

i have a bad vibration when i shift gears to wear the whole car shakes and was wondering if this is from the pilot bearing

also i would like to know what is the pilot bearings job thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Doubtful. Most pilot bearings that go out either end up just making noise, or jamming the input shaft and the cracnkshaft making it act like you were never pushing in the clutch.

THe pilot bearing goes in the end of the crankshaft and stabilizes the front of the transmission input shaft. When the clutch is engaged the brg isn't turning only when the clutch is pressed in.

-Aaron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #3

i was just wondering because my tranny just went out in my car in the input shaft is real loose and when ever clutch starts engaging it makes the whole car shake and i was told a bearing retainer would do that but it didnt change but maybe the input shaft being real loose is causing it to do that
Old 08-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #4

if it was your pilot bearing it would make the noise all the time, it sounds to me like you have bad U-joints in your driveshaft

my mod list
2 drilled holes in floorboard to drain the water
2 blown shocks from jumping the creek in my woods
busted side glass, cuz handle broke and i was pissed
spiderwebbed winshield
keyed paintjob
huge dint in front and rear from running through customers garage door then backing into customers mailbox (pissed again)
broke driver seat so swapped pass seat over there=seatless
headlights short on and off, due to beating on the top of the dash
dremel'd a hole in front of cats because they were clogged and catching on fire

btw i work for dominos!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #5

the more i think about it, it really sounds like bad u joints

when your pressing the gas its pushing your driveshaft at a constant when you left off your driveshaft is just weight spinning casing the slack in your U joints to vibe real bad

my mod list
2 drilled holes in floorboard to drain the water
2 blown shocks from jumping the creek in my woods
busted side glass, cuz handle broke and i was pissed
spiderwebbed winshield
keyed paintjob
huge dint in front and rear from running through customers garage door then backing into customers mailbox (pissed again)
broke driver seat so swapped pass seat over there=seatless
headlights short on and off, due to beating on the top of the dash
dremel'd a hole in front of cats because they were clogged and catching on fire

btw i work for dominos!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #6

nah u joints were just changed 1 month ago maybe once i get the new tranny in ill go from there

its only when you are first engaging the clutch after changing gears
Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 AM   #7

I kind of misread your post. I didn't really realize that it was when you were engaging the clutch. I thought...Well never mind what I thought doesn't matter. The description of the pilot brg is still true but it is somewhat possible that the pilot brg or input shaft brg is causing the vibes. However, it is much more likely in my experience that the clutch is causing it. Some clutches are more prone to it than others (brandwise and also materials etc can make a difference). Also, any contamination of the clutch by oil, fluids, even a "burnt" clutch, or hot spots on the flywheel can cause this. Aggressive clutches are more prone to "chattering" than factory replacements. Personally, I lean towards a bad clutch...but if you pull the transmission to check the clutch replace the pilot and throwout brg while you are there. Cheap parts that you don't want to pull a tranny for later. Maybe even replace the input shaft brg while you are there. That's my $.02.
-Aaron
Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (16)

I know that when the pilot bearing is going bad it makes a ticking sound while the clutch is out. If you rest your foot on the clutch pedal or depress it the noise will go away.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine head
I know that when the pilot bearing is going bad it makes a ticking sound while the clutch is out. If you rest your foot on the clutch pedal or depress it the noise will go away.
you've got it backwards. pilot will make noise when the clutch is disengaged and be quiet when clutch is locked up. i think you mean the throwout bearing on the pressure plate,
88 GT, 408 Dart,Bigstuff Gen3 efi, super vic conversion, afr225, p/g w/PTC 5500 stall, nos proshot fogger, 3250# w/my big ass in it. 1.31-60' 9.02@150.5 best on 250hp stage(7 1/2 cylinders ). shooting for the 8's, just waiting for the rain to stop
04 f-150 5.4 3v 16.4@82 geez, i could finish the crossword puzzle waiting for the finish line.
03 suzuki sv1000s-need some knee pucks
Old 08-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (16)

OOPS!!! Your right. I stand corrected. I apologize for the wrong info, I'm going to blame it on the alcohol....
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #11

clutch was just replaced last month too it was still doing it before i changed clutch but who know the new tranny is coming out of my bros coupe its a WC t5 and it didnt have the problem so maybe when we change it out it may go away if not ill go from there but thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement